What made you buy the model you own?

Muttleyflying

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
As the title says, with a good range of varying Sony models available what made you pick the model you own.
Personally I have the A99ii the last A mount by the looks of it.
At the time of buying it there was nothing else on the market like it and having lots of A mount glass it was a no brained.
One day I'll change to E mount but I'm still happy with my choice so changing to E mount won't be happening any time soon for me.

61mp Resolution :)

GAS... Seriously, I bought the Rx10iv because I wanted a better "all in one" than the FZ1000, and (still) like the 24-600mm efl zoom; the A9 because I have got slightly obsessional about birds; the A7Riv because it was an amazing piece of kit, and offered 61MP for landscape and potentially portrait, and also for perched birds. But the AF is definitely not as good as the A9, and it doesn't seem to like the 200-600mm zoom as much.
There does seem to me to be a lot of merit in sticking with a single system -- all these are covered by the same PC software (Imaging Edge), the 2 E-mount bodies share all lenses; the menus and button layouts are almost the same.

I just got the A7R4. I shoot mostly landscape, architecture and nature (BIF). The high megapixel sensor gives me great resolution and detail and also gives me the cropping ability for birds and small animals that are hard to get close to.

For me the A-65 had the fps I was looking for wanting to capture airshows and sporting events like drag racing unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any of the events yet.

Got the A6400 because of the advanced AF, the image quality, the APS-C format makes for great travel camera, and I couldn't afford a full frame anyways :)

A6400 wanted a small compact body and lens setup for walking around with, was using nikon at the time and just dipping my toe into the mirrorless waters.

So chose it for small form factor and excellent AF.

Have now traded most of my nikon gear and more lenses, next a full frame body.....

A few years ago, I got the RX10iv for the "family" camera which later also became the main video camera. My family did not like to switch lenses.
Back in Fall 2018, I got the Sony A7ii for my manual glass so that I could experience the full expectation of glass that was intended to be used in that format back in the film days. Also, got the Voigtlander 10mm for the camera.

Otherwise, I was a very happy Fuji user with six Fuji cameras and 20 lenses. Last year was a sad year for me. Fuji started to make some strange decisions with their camera designs that did not work well for my needs. And then Fuji announced that they would not come out with the 33 f/1.0. So I got the Zeiss 50 f/1.4 for the A7ii and loved it but the AF with the A7ii could not match what I was used to with my Fuji gear. Having a fast normal lens was pivotal for some of my work. Dealing with a lot of low light no flash event photography the Fuji gear could do good but I noticed that the sharpness especially with my 1.x primes could be better.

Mid-January this year, I had to make a decision should I switch to more Sony gear. I did order online a used A7iii for the 50 prime and I also got a Sigma 35 f/1.4. The AF and quality of the images were stunning. I amazingly have a local camera store in my little town and so I decided to see what I could get with the gear that I realized I no longer used. I came out of the store with a used A9 with RRS L-bracket and a new 24-105 G lens. Using the camera for a few weeks I decided I should just give up with my Fuji gear. Thanks to the Sony trade-up program and the store having a used 16-35 GM, I was able to trade in the rest of the gear for several G and GM lenses (and the Tamron 28-75 for IR).

Early Spring, I got a great deal on a 590nm IR converted A7Rii and realized the joy of 42 MP images. Late Spring, I found a deal on a used A7Riii.

Due to the events of the year 2020, I still have no idea if my gear will deliver my expectations for event photography. I originally made the decision to switch back in January so that I would have three months to "know" my gear. Well, I can handle my gear in the dark for astro-photography so I at least have that. :p From what I can tell it would appear that I should have a gain of one stop and considerably better sharpness but in the field is when the real test will help confirm.

I'm using the a9ii after snagging a good deal. I'm not a huge fan of sonys ergonomics, but this body has some nice refinements over the others. The grip is deeper and the addition dials are a massive help. It would be good if Sony implemented them onto the other a7 lines,but I doubt that will happen. Focus speed and accuracy is amazing. And the silent shooting without any electronic shutter issues is also great.

I'm using the a9ii after snagging a good deal. I'm not a huge fan of sonys ergonomics, but this body has some nice refinements over the others. The grip is deeper and the addition dials are a massive help. It would be good if Sony implemented them onto the other a7 lines,but I doubt that will happen. Focus speed and accuracy is amazing. And the silent shooting without any electronic shutter issues is also great.
Sony have used the same ergonomics on the A7Riv and A7Siii, and I am looking forward to seeing the A7iv when it eventually arrives.

Got the A6400 because of the advanced AF, the image quality, the APS-C format makes for great travel camera, and I couldn't afford a full frame anyways :)
Me too, I opted for the Sony A6500, APS-C was all I needed, saved enough money to buy an $890.00 lens. I couldn't afford a full frame anyway.

I also got the A6400 and agree with all of your points as these were some of the key reasons i bought this camera. I love to take photos and videos and feel for the price range this was just perfect for me at this point in time.

Two of the biggest draw backs I was aware of with the Sony A6400 was firstly the battery life, however i bought an extra four batteries and have never had any issues or even come close to using all of them yet.
Secondly was no IBIS and although my lens does not have OSS either, I use a tripod or Ronin SC Gimbal for video and i can get very smooth shots.

I do plan to get a full frame camera in future which i look forward to but i know my A6400 will still get used due to its portability!

I also got the A6400 and agree with all of your points as these were some of the key reasons i bought this camera. I love to take photos and videos and feel for the price range this was just perfect for me at this point in time.

Two of the biggest draw backs I was aware of with the Sony A6400 was firstly the battery life, however i bought an extra four batteries and have never had any issues or even come close to using all of them yet.
Secondly was no IBIS and although my lens does not have OSS either, I use a tripod or Ronin SC Gimbal for video and i can get very smooth shots.

I do plan to get a full frame camera in future which i look forward to but i know my A6400 will still get used due to its portability!
I don't do video at all, so the lack of IBIS is not a deal killer for me. Same deal for me, a bunch of extra batteries, it's not that bad.

For me, the A6300, I got it as my first 'real' camera. Before this one I used compact pocket format cameras (powershot, etc) and wanted to step up my game.

Looked into DSLR and mirrorless, my preference went quickly to mirrorless because of the size and weight. Tried out some models (Panasonic, Olympus, and Sony) and just felt 'at home' with Sony. The Sony also attracted my attentions because of the speed of the focus and the amount of pictures per second.

At that time the Full Frame cameras i considered to be to expensive and went for APS-C, the a6300 seemed like the best for my needs (all around photography) and combined it with the 18-105 f4 lens.

Now my preference has shifted towards Wildlife photography and bought an 100-400 gm lens in addition (Which was a big investment). Next steps will be a full frame body.

I got into Photography because of the Peregrine Falcons that live on my balcony. I was in the local camera store one day talking to someone looking for a point and shoot camera for my mom, and I mentioned them. They commented that they'd kill for a chance to even see them that close, and it got me thinking. A few weeks later, I purchased my first Canon (sorry!). A year later, I switched over from that Canon to the A7R3 just as the A7R4 was announced. Got a great deal on the R3, and it's "good enough" for my hobbyist needs (Okay, maybe quite overkill!). But it sure does take great portraits of those Falcons! Looking back, I wish I'd have splurged (harder) for the A9, but I do a lot of landscape and macro photography, so the 7R3 works wonders for that!

My better half just picked up a used a6000 to learn, and combined with my lenses, she's really enjoying herself as well. She's primarily macro shooting, so she's claimed my favourite lens as her own (100-400GM)!

Unfortunately not the extra mode dials in the left upper part of the camera body.
I think those are a trade off between programmability and instant response. I assumed they are there on the A9 (and A9ii) to give instant access to focus and shooting modes, rather than having to go through a menu, or use two buttons for them (on the A7Riv I have given them buttons). And that somehow seems appropriate for a camera designed around action shots. But on the A7Riv, they are programmable, so can be recalled from memory, which is the other side of it. I find both very useable, and have not developed a preference one way or the other.
I *do* like the slightly deeper grip, and improved button design(s) on the A7Riv compared with the A9 and the A7Riii I had previously.

I was using a Canon 1200d and had a great 5 years with it. Was tempted with the 5Dm4 until I saw the price. Then looked at lots of reviews-the A7iii was coming out on top-happy to have purchased it along with 28-70/20mm 1.8 G/ 85 1.8. Just saving for the zoom and macro. Got this last week and only slight editing in LR of which I am a complete novice

Attachments

• 30C7DD82-6922-4958-B9AD-AFE49AA24BB5.jpeg
    30C7DD82-6922-4958-B9AD-AFE49AA24BB5.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 60
A7iii.
I decided to buy it because i wanted something better. I had the sony a7ii but i didnt feel like it was cutting it. I wanted something that had a better focus. Now that i have the a7iii. And i feel like i can never go back. Sony a7iii has made it easier to do anything. And i love it. No regrets. The price is kind of high but it's worth it.

I've upgraded to the AR7iv from my R100v and Pentax K3-ii (although they both are great cameras and they can be very handy) but I'm looking to produce large exhibition prints, and the ability to crop from the max full frame was certainly attractive. I was also looking for better AF capabilities and colour rendition. So far I've been shooting on full manual and love the results.

I started out thinking I wanted the A7III, and then shifted my attention to the A7R III, but still hadn't made up my mind for sure when the A7R IV was announced, so figured that since I was starting from scratch with this anyway, might as well wait a little longer, see what the A7R IV had to offer....and I eventually got my act together and bought one in November 2019. I love this camera so much -- it's just perfect for me and the way I like to shoot!

Reason and considerations:
#1 Covid19: what to do that is safe and satisfying? - getting into BIF and nature photography in general - expand on a major hobby
#2 being ready for an upgrade: from A7/A600) (5 years) -> A9 (AF, speed), A6300 (travel/IQ), A7R3 (resolution)
#3 glass: reading about the merits of recent Sony glass, the 100-400 entered my bag...and I will never look back at all the expenses in 2020.
#4 glass cont.: I used Zeiss and Leica as a teenager. Now Zeiss quality lives on with Sony. A major consideration! (18mm, 25mm, 55mm, 135mm Zeiss in the bag)

GAS... Seriously, I bought the Rx10iv because I wanted a better "all in one" than the FZ1000, and (still) like the 24-600mm efl zoom; the A9 because I have got slightly obsessional about birds; the A7Riv because it was an amazing piece of kit, and offered 61MP for landscape and potentially portrait, and also for perched birds. But the AF is definitely not as good as the A9, and it doesn't seem to like the 200-600mm zoom as much.
There does seem to me to be a lot of merit in sticking with a single system -- all these are covered by the same PC software (Imaging Edge), the 2 E-mount bodies share all lenses; the menus and button layouts are almost the same.
Same here. GAS. Got the A9, then 90mm macro, 24-104 F4, then sigma 35 1.4, then 100-400GM, then 1.4 teleconverter along with tripods, lights and light stand. It’s fun!

I was a canon shooter for many years. I started in Canon because, at the time, it was the cheapest option for a DSLR. When mirrorless first came out I was intrigued but spent a lot on my canon gear so didn’t want to switch and start over.

I was bopping around on eBay checking out different mirrorless cameras and the Sony A6000 was going for a really good price. So I took the plunge. Once I started using that and absolutely love the performance and size for traveling. Wasn’t thrilled with the battery life though.

After using that for a year or two bought the A7iii and A7Riii followed shortly after. Loved the low light performance of the iii. It was so good. The amount of detail I could recover in low light was incredible. Having the Riii for wildlife and the ability to crop was the finishing touch.
I still use my A6000 when traveling but definitely prefer the iii for the battery power and dynamic range.

All these cameras have their pluses and minuses and I can still use my canon lenses. Even better. I also use some old lenses we have from the film days.Don’t think I will change for a long time as all three cameras meet my needs. There is always a better mousetrap, but this mousetrap works good enough.

I upgraded to FF from my a6000 (my first digital camera) just a year ago. I bought my a6000 to start my photography learning journey, and felt I had "earned" by way to a FF. The a7III was enough camera that I won't need or want to upgrade for a while (I know what youre thinking, but this is plenty of camera for this intermediate hobbyist), but that had some spectacular features. It was also a pretty decent price point. I am very happy with my purchase, but if I may say, sometimes, I wish I had also held on to my a6000.

I bought the A6500 because of the price point and features at that time, mostly for underwater photography. I felt it was a good buy for a mid-level camera at that time. This year, with the lack of travel, I've started shooting more birds, animals and landscapes and ready to trade up!

I had the Nex-6 for years. Love that camera. Wanted to get more reach for wildlife photography. Was recommended I update the camera body as I was using "Old tech". Thought I wanted the a7riii (?). Got to the store and was explaining what I was going to do with the camera and the Sony expert recommended the a6600. I held it and was sold almost immediately. SO much lighter for travel so when I add a heavier lens I wasn't increasing the weight so much. Am still quite new to photography but I'm enjoying this camera body and the couple lenses I had. I did add a 70-350mm G OSS recently. So. much.to.learn.

I was a Nikon user and my D70 (15 years old ) started having sensor issues. I do not have the best light where I take indoor photos and the 7@iii had really good rating for low light photography. So I made the jump.

Watching this post...I have the same dilema

The A9 for the AF with birds, and it's proved to be good for BIF and unreliable for small perched birds.

The A7R III rather than the IV to carry with me while out shooting birds for the odd landscape. The resolution advantage of the IV is lost to noise over ISO 400.

I'd like to see Sony implement cross-type PDAF sensors in its bodies.

Back