What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I purchased a Sony 20mm F1.8 G prime lens to kick off the weekend and compliment my early morning swims.

GJF09649.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 20mm F1.8 G
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 6987/44716801 sec
  • ISO 125

Just bought yet another external SSD, although I had been sure that I didn't need any more of these! Unfortunately the necessity for one made itself apparent and so I bit the bullet and got it from Amazon in overnight delivery. (That's really kind of cool: I order something the evening before, go off to bed, and in the morning I arise, open the front door and sure enough, there's the desired packaged item on my doorstep! :) ).

Just bought yet another external SSD, although I had been sure that I didn't need any more of these! Unfortunately the necessity for one made itself apparent and so I bit the bullet and got it from Amazon in overnight delivery. (That's really kind of cool: I order something the evening before, go off to bed, and in the morning I arise, open the front door and sure enough, there's the desired packaged item on my doorstep! :) ).
Are you using your SSDs for archival purposes, or just your work-in-progress files? I'm thinking about my long term strategy and looking for some tips.

Thanks

Are you using your SSDs for archival purposes, or just your work-in-progress files? I'm thinking about my long term strategy and looking for some tips.

Thanks
Both! I have two sets of external SSDs that I use for backups and those are swapped in-and-out of the bank safe deposit box each month and then I also have other external SSDs at home that I use for archival storage, plus temporary storage of files that I need to review and cull and also for works-in-process. Also one of the archival storage drives lives in the safe deposit box all the time, too.

Well, I finally have a purchase to talk about on this thread. Yes, the GAS is back!

My purchase this week was a Micro 4/3rds camera. Now before you ban me from the forum, this camera was a Hasselblad L2D-20c which is installed in a DJI Mavic 3 Classic drone. I have been flying drones since January 2020. This is my 4th drone. Interestingly, my first drone was largely responsible for the purchase of my first mirrorless camera, my Sony A7 III which I still own as well as an A7 IV.

I won’t bother to taint the forum with non-Sony photos but if you’re a drone fan or want to see what the shots look like coming from a modern drone, I did a camera test today, as today was the Maiden flight of the my Mavic 3. I shoot JPEG’s and DNG’s simultaneously, so I loaded up results the 12 shots that I took today in a Flickr Album. There are 24 images total, based on 12 shots. The 1st image is a JPEG SOOC, just the way it was shot. The 2nd image is the same shot after Post Processing with Adobe Lightroom Classic v12.1. As you go through the Album, it just alternates between straight out of the camera JPEG’s and Lightroom processed DNG’s. You will be able to quickly see the difference between processed photos and non-processed photos.

One more thing, I put the camera specs under the 1st image in the Album, but only the 1st one, so I’ll post them here if there is anyone that is interested:

The Hasselblad Micro 4/3rds sensor delivers images that are 20MP in 4:3 or 16:9 format.

* Focal Length 24mm (35mm equivalent)

* f/2.8 to f/11.0

* ISO (Normal Mode) 100-6400

* Electronic shutter 1/8000 to 8 sec

One more thing, remember when viewing images on Flickr, You can click the images two times to zoom in and Pixel Peep if that rings your bell.

Finally, the Link: My latest drone shots on Flickr.

Last edited:
I cannot remember who recommended it (sorry! Thank you to whoever it was!) but I ordered the SmallRig 3666 baseplate for my A7RV - arrived this morning. The packaging by SmallRig is excellent - recyclable brown cardboard without glossiness, but with a bubble wrap bag (oh, well!).

It is a perfect fit on the A7RV, and even has a locator pin to stop it twisting (nice that there’s a hole for that pin to go in in the Sony base - I had not noticed it until now). Gives my little finger a home - yay! I shall give it some exercise on the weekend (Friday is forecast to reach 38C / 100F, anyway).

I think is ideal for those who want a bit more grip, but do not want the bulk of the portrait grip.

Today brought me the Lumix 100-300ii for damp telephoto shooting with the original eM1 (yes, I dislike flip screens that much!). Now I can let go of Olympus' talented but bulky 4thirds 70-300 (with 1:2 close-ups) and adapter.

Tomorrow? It should bring Tamron's 35mm f/2.8 to allow damp semi-wide shooting (and 1:2 close-ups, ironically) with the α-gear!

Every kit's a winner! 🏆

Today I learnt that Korean subways are packed with secondhand camera shops, who'd have thought? Anyway, today I laid down a cool million won on a mint GM 24 1.4. Works out at about £650 or about two thirds the price in the UK.
20230216_133827.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 64
20230216_133848.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 80

I received the used 590nm Infrared A7Riii and it is in excellent condition. Did not have the screen protection which it now has a 9H glass protector. The firmware was still on 3.0 instead of 3.1. And it really did have less than 1,600 shutter actuations. To further protect the camera, I ordered a LIMS black leather half case with red thread (fits the infrared and red "R" theme :p ).
il_1588xN.1835164761_dd9y.jpg

I received the used 590nm Infrared A7Riii and it is in excellent condition. Did not have the screen protection which it now has a 9H glass protector. The firmware was still on 3.0 instead of 3.1. And it really did have less than 1,600 shutter actuations. To further protect the camera, I ordered a LIMS black leather half case with red thread (fits the infrared and red "R" theme :p ).
il_1588xN.1835164761_dd9y.jpg
Congratulations on getting your new camera.

Sharp-looking case. Funny coincidence, I was looking at cases like this last night.

K&F Concept 77mm Variable ND Lens Filter ND2-32 (1-5 Stops)

I hope to be able to use this on my trip to the tropics next month but defiantly with the trip in Dec. It was pricey but nothing with the packaging or the product comes off as a place they cut costs. They even give you a little thing to fold to turn the box section that held the filter bag into a frame.

I picked up the 2x teleconverter today to use with the 70-200 GM II. I also tried out the 200-600 zoom. I'm going to check out the teleconverter before making a decision about the longer zoom.

Last edited:
K&F Concept 77mm Variable ND Lens Filter ND2-32 (1-5 Stops)

I hope to be able to use this on my trip to the tropics next month but defiantly with the trip in Dec. It was pricey but nothing with the packaging or the product comes off as a place they cut costs. They even give you a little thing to fold to turn the box section that held the filter bag into a frame.
Be interested to know how you get on with it. I've just bought similar as a travel set. Never got an opportunity to try it on my last outing.

Well, now I did it.
Traded in X-T3 Full Sprectum, X-T4, 18-135, 27, and 18 f2 for:
Olympus OM-1 (new) with 30 (used) and 60 macro (new).
Until I'm comfortable with the system, I'm going to hold off on the 90 macro.

Guess I'm "stacked" with the Alpha 1, X-H2s, and OM-1. :p

Upgrading the very underrated Fujifilm 50-230 with the 70-300.

Decided to take a chance on the new FE 20-70 F4 as a one lens at a time no bag travel companion. I’d typically bring the 17-28 / 28-200 35GM as a light casual kit. Now thinking 20-70 daytime, 35 night. Couple of upcoming non-photography trips with friends soon.

Last edited:
Well, now I did it.
Traded in X-T3 Full Sprectum, X-T4, 18-135, 27, and 18 f2 for:
Olympus OM-1 (new) with 30 (used) and 60 macro (new).
Until I'm comfortable with the system, I'm going to hold off on the 90 macro.

Guess I'm "stacked" with the Alpha 1, X-H2s, and OM-1. :p
I’d love to try the OM1 150-400 Pro. I bet the full spectrum X-T3 was pretty neat.

I picked up the 2x teleconverter today to use with the 70-200 GM II. I also tried out the 200-600 zoom. I'm going to check out the teleconverter before making a decision about the longer zoom.
Curious about the 2x in BC overcast. My concern would be having enough light to keep the SS reasonable.

Last edited:
Hi, liggy,

Thanks for your interest.
It's been really dreary here (typical winter). Here's the outcome of that purchase.
Same here in Seattle. To be honest I don’t even use the 1.4 on the 200-600 anymore. It’s pretty much just for the 70-200. I’d rather just punch in on crop mode on the A1.

I’d love to try the OM1 150-400 Pro. I bet the full spectrum X-T3 was pretty neat.
That Pro lens would be fun. The next one for me though is the very one that convinced me to get the OM-1, the newly released 2:1 90mm macro lens.
  • 90mm focal length (180mm equivalent) with a 14° field of view
  • F3.5–F22 aperture range
  • 7 rounded aperture blades
  • Optical image stabilization with 6 stops of CIPA-rated stabilization
  • IP53 weather sealing
  • 2:1 magnification, up to 4:1 magnification with teleconverters
  • 62mm filter size
  • 136mm x 69.8mm (5.35 in x 2.75 in)
  • 435g weight (0.96 lbs)
  • $1,499.99

The full spectrum X-T3 was fun but I prefer using the 830nm X-T3 with the XF14, Fujicron 23, 30 macro, 50, and the 70-300. I have a full spectrum A7iii which works nicely.

I purchased an 85mm F1.8 and took it to the beach to try and shoot the visiting terns [with the 200-600].

These guys were trying to take a selfie, so I helped them out. I think I'm going to enjoy this lens.

GJF05792.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 85mm F1.8 (SEL85F18)
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 125

That Pro lens would be fun. The next one for me though is the very one that convinced me to get the OM-1, the newly released 2:1 90mm macro lens.
  • 90mm focal length (180mm equivalent) with a 14° field of view
  • F3.5–F22 aperture range
  • 7 rounded aperture blades
  • Optical image stabilization with 6 stops of CIPA-rated stabilization
  • IP53 weather sealing
  • 2:1 magnification, up to 4:1 magnification with teleconverters
  • 62mm filter size
  • 136mm x 69.8mm (5.35 in x 2.75 in)
  • 435g weight (0.96 lbs)
  • $1,499.99

The full spectrum X-T3 was fun but I prefer using the 830nm X-T3 with the XF14, Fujicron 23, 30 macro, 50, and the 70-300. I have a full spectrum A7iii which works nicel
Sounds like a very capable lens. Good to hear the 70-300 is a good performer at 830nm. I still have a converted XE1 at 830.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an A mount sigma 10mm fisheye, at £180, i thought it was a bit of a bargain, declined to buy the £265 sony full function adapter. Came home and found one on ebay currently at 150. Put my bid in and yesterday I won it.

Just waiting for the postman now.

Today I bought myself the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II. Back in late 2019 when I was first beginning with Sony lenses after I'd made the big switch from Nikon to Sony, I had a list of what I wanted and felt I needed immediately, and started with those three....and other lenses were listed to be considered along the way as a specific need arose. Sometimes a lens fairly high on the list got bumped down when a more enticing newly-announced one arrived on the scene. Many lenses eventually moved from being on the list to actually being on my camera.

Anyway, back in my Nikon days I'd used and loved the 24-70mm -- such a wonderful range! -- but the version of that lens available at the time was "meh" so I decided to skip it and to buy other lenses which also were high on the priority list. My patience was rewarded when Sony brought out the version 2 of that lens and I was able to get that back around Christmastime. Terrific lens, well worth the wait! I am so happy to finally have that lens to use and enjoy.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 GM also fell into that category, too, although in my personal evaluations it was rated somewhat higher than a "meh" lens. Reviewers and users mentioned issues and made complaints about this and that. I decided to skip it even though again that is a classic range to have on hand for one's use. I had something to use in the tele range anyway, as early-on had bought the 200-600mm and then later the 100-400mm, and love both of them dearly. The 70-200mm was way down at the lower end of my list and often got bumped further down by my acquisition of some other lens along the way.

However.... I still kind of missed that very convenient range of 70-200mm and so when Sony announced and brought out the version 2 of that GM lens, I took note, paid attention, said, "ahhhh....." but really wasn't ready to do anything about buying one right away.

Today was the day, I went to the local camera shop, bought the lens, brought her home and we spent some time shooting together this afternoon and I already am delighted with what I'm experiencing in both the handling of this lens and the results I'm seeing. Wow! Surprisingly lightweight! I LOVE the internal focusing!/zooming, just like her big sister the 200-600. Really fast focusing, too! What really delights me is the close focusing. That's right up my alley since I love to get up close and personal with my subjects. I've only had this lens not even a full day yet and already I can tell she is going to be a favorite.

A HUGE step up for me! :ROFLMAO: Added the 14MP Sony A350 for the princely sum of $83, shipped, with a 6-month warranty. I'm having a blast with these old cameras. I am definitely sticking with CCD sensors DSLRs, none of the SLT series, those things suck.

A HUGE step up for me! :ROFLMAO: Added the 14MP Sony A350 for the princely sum of $83, shipped, with a 6-month warranty. I'm having a blast with these old cameras. I am definitely sticking with CCD sensors DSLRs, none of the SLT series, those things suck.
Quite a broad statement that Tim? a couple of old images from slt :)
baboon 2015 2.jpg
  • ILCA-77M2
  • 70-200mm F2.8 G
  • 360.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.7
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 640
tiger 2019.jpg
  • ILCA-99M2
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400

Quite a broad statement that Tim? a couple of old images from slt :) View attachment 33827View attachment 33828
Nope. compared to other offerings from the same period the design is stupid. Anything that takes a 1/3 stop away is a bad idea. Same problem with the LA-EA4. When light is paramount it makes a difference. This is more true with the older APS-C cameras than the newer FF, and since that’s really all I’m messing with, the statement holds.

I bought the Pentax k-7 when it was released. Shutter speed 1/8000 and ISO up to 6400 with 5 frames/sec jpg or 30 fps HD hd video. A lovely gadget I still use.

Back