What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I decided to do more "Spring" cleaning of my gear. Thanks to the OM-1 with the 40-150 f2.8 zoom and the macro lenses made this possible.
Plus after many years of infrared I realized that my favorite is 590nm with the occasional Heliopan780nm filter. So, the A7Riii 590nm converted camera is a keeper for me.
Traded in the 100 GM, Voigtlander 65 and 110 APO, 70-300 G, 100-400 GM, and the full spectrum A7iii for:
24-70 GM II
200-600 G

Have just had a squint on Amazon, there are several versions available. Which type did you go for?
The one I have is the Kiora Soft Silicon Eyecup Eyeshade / Long Camera eyecup. specifically for the A7C. It's a very clever design, really: the eyecup itself fits right over the original EVF eyecup and there is a connected plastic piece which slides right into the hotshoe area, replacing the original hotshoe cover (which I put away for safekeeping). I usually don't use the hotshoe anyway so this isn't an issue.

The new eyecup provides a bit of space and distance as well as shading the EVF from extraneous light and works either without or with glasses. I found it makes all the difference for me in enhancing the usability of the A7C. Great little camera! Very pleased overall with my choice and am having fun experimenting with my various lenses on her.

Bought a Zeiss lens: the Loxia 21mm f/2.8. It is very small and despite it being made out of metal it is surprisingly light. Most of all, I like how it transmits the colors! Here is the first shot I took with it from my balcony.

DSC09859.jpg
  • ILCE-6300
  • ZEISS Loxia 2.8/21
  • 21.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 100

Bought a Zeiss lens: the Loxia 21mm f/2.8. It is very small and despite it being made out of metal it is surprisingly light. Most of all, I like how it transmits the colors! Here is the first shot I took with it from my balcony.

View attachment 35334
Neat reflection of the CN Tower!

Elemental 3 head studio light system.

This came up on a local photography Facebook page as a charity shop sale for £25.

I've never done any studio photography before, and I haven't a clue where to start, but for twenty-five notes, don't imagine I'm going to lose sleep over it.

Now all I need is a studio!

Cotton Carrier CCS G3
Cotton Carrier CCS G3 with cameras.jpg
I did a quick review

I'm rebalancing my stuff. Reducing the size of the GFX kit and going with more FE mount gear.

Swapped the excellent but little used GF45-100 zoom that I never really used for a Tamron 35-150 that I will use for events and the exceedingly rare wedding shoot. It won't be an everyday lens - too big and heavy for just casual walk around but kickass for the event/wedding job.

Sharp and quick to focus. I like it already. Needs a tripod collar for use as a handle but aside from that - sweet.

I'm rebalancing my stuff. Reducing the size of the GFX kit and going with more FE mount gear.

Swapped the excellent but little used GF45-100 zoom that I never really used for a Tamron 35-150 that I will use for events and the exceedingly rare wedding shoot. It won't be an everyday lens - too big and heavy for just casual walk around but kickass for the event/wedding job.

Sharp and quick to focus. I like it already. Needs a tripod collar for use as a handle but aside from that - sweet.
That's a great lens. I've looked at it, but $2k for something I won't use often makes no sense to me. I am watching for Samyang's rumored entry to see how it performs. If it comes in around $1-1.1K, I'll probably bite.

That's a great lens. I've looked at it, but $2k for something I won't use often makes no sense to me. I am watching for Samyang's rumored entry to see how it performs. If it comes in around $1-1.1K, I'll probably bite.
Good call. I'd love the 135GM but would be an infrequent use case. The Samyang/Rokinon looks great. And it's very affordable. Makes their upcoming 35-150 an intriguing prospect.

If I wasn't swapping a lens I already owned in the 45-100GFX I doubt I'd pony up the $$$ for the Tamron. In fact I decided against it mostly for size/weight considerations.

I picked up the Sony 55mm F1.8 yesterday and tried it out today. It was heavily discounted. The focal length is so familiar and comfortable. I had a good walk.

E5899BC3-834B-4CAB-A90C-005BE87D2B72.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 125

1A5AB11F-875B-4E38-9B22-58C09D32F510.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 125

C13BAE76-9FFB-4258-96E1-46B88B2834F1.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 125

An architect walked into a church. His iPhone 14 pro gets the shot. His new A7iv and a bucket full of primes cannot.

Sony 14mm F1.8 GM
So you bought a 14 to outdo a 14? That makes sense!

Mostly on impulse, I bought a 20-70 G yesterday (I have been wondering if I wanted it for a while), and my local dealer just got a demo and a few in. Tried it, liked it, and I’m taking it out to experiment today.

Yust ordered the OM1 camera with the 300mmF4 pro + the teleconverter and extra battery and remotecontroll. So eger to capture those takeoffs and actionshots of birds with pro-capture which I most of the time fail with my sony gear..
I’ve been toying with this idea also.. did you finally buy it and if so what is your take on it..

Well this week has been a busy week in buying and selling for me. First I bought the A1 and the 100-400.. then I sold my A9ii and A7R4..
And now I’m debating if I should buy a 2nd camera or buy new glass..

I treated the α7ii to a 28-60 mini zoom. Cheap adapters don't let Pentax wr lenses play safely on damp days, but above 60mm only the hd 55-300 is resistant in any case. I'll manage with TTArt 21, 28-60 and a few classic pk primes. That 55-300 comes close to covering the 36×24 frame if I don't squint :geek: as does their fine DA35 macro.

For those days when I just can't get out or don't have a lot of time I got a 'Rotating Display Base for Crystals Glass Art' that has a built in LED light at a yard sale for $5. Not as exciting as a camera or a lens but I'm interested to see what I can do with it.

I’ve been toying with this idea also.. did you finally buy it and if so what is your take on it..
I love it! Aspecialy the pro-capture. I set it up taking 25shots before I push the shutter all the way down and 25 afterwords. First day I thought I had it on singleshot but the first shot ended up with 120 shots of a sitting sparrow..😵‍💫 But then I get to know it better. Also bought the 300mm F4 with the 1,4 tc. That gives me an eqivalent of 840mm F5,6! And also got the 40-150mm F2,8. Here is a shot when I used the pro-capture to 'go back in time' and pick the shot I 'missed'.
P4020863 (2).jpg
  • OM-1
  • OLYMPUS M.300mm F4.0
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 1600

I love it! Aspecialy the pro-capture. I set it up taking 25shots before I push the shutter all the way down and 25 afterwords. First day I thought I had it on singleshot but the first shot ended up with 120 shots of a sitting sparrow..😵‍💫 But then I get to know it better. Also bought the 300mm F4 with the 1,4 tc. That gives me an eqivalent of 840mm F5,6! And also got the 40-150mm F2,8. Here is a shot when I used the pro-capture to 'go back in time' and pick the shot I 'missed'. View attachment 36162
Wow love it….

I love it! Aspecialy the pro-capture. I set it up taking 25shots before I push the shutter all the way down and 25 afterwords. First day I thought I had it on singleshot but the first shot ended up with 120 shots of a sitting sparrow..😵‍💫 But then I get to know it better. Also bought the 300mm F4 with the 1,4 tc. That gives me an eqivalent of 840mm F5,6! And also got the 40-150mm F2,8. Here is a shot when I used the pro-capture to 'go back in time' and pick the shot I 'missed'. View attachment 36162
Do you get the feeling this bird "missed the corner"?

Wow love it….
Thanks!
Do you get the feeling this bird "missed the corner"?
I get the feeling of Sony tech/support has also read this and should soon be implementing pro-capture in A9iii - A1ii - A7VI. When a Sony -shooter is willing to spend aprox.5000 - 6000 $ yust to get the pro-capture. I read somewhere in reddit I think that Sony's techs/support answer to a mans question about pro-capture in sony camera's? Sony techs said no-one's asked for it yet....

Thanks!

I get the feeling of Sony tech/support has also read this and should soon be implementing pro-capture in A9iii - A1ii - A7VI. When a Sony -shooter is willing to spend aprox.5000 - 6000 $ yust to get the pro-capture. I read somewhere in reddit I think that Sony's techs/support answer to a mans question about pro-capture in sony camera's? Sony techs said no-one's asked for it yet....
Well I have a dilemma !
I want a 2nd camera and I have leads on a Brand new OM1 $2500cdn or a very lightly used E-M1X for $1800cnd.. solely because of Pro Capture
So I have to decide do I go for one of those or do I wait to see if 1. Sony updates the A1 or 2. Sony release a new camera with it in..
I don’t believe it there would be any point upgrading the firmware in anything other than the A1 because of the frame rate needed..

Rumor site is teasing new A9III info starting tomorrow. I expect it to have all the bells and whistles from the RV except the MP, and I’m hoping they see fit to bump it to the 35-40MP range. Maybe wait a bit to see what they release?

Thanks!

I doubt Sony tech support spends much time surfing this forum.

Well I have a dilemma !
I want a 2nd camera and I have leads on a Brand new OM1 $2500cdn or a very lightly used E-M1X for $1800cnd.. solely because of Pro Capture
So I have to decide do I go for one of those or do I wait to see if 1. Sony updates the A1 or 2. Sony release a new camera with it in..
I don’t believe it there would be any point upgrading the firmware in anything other than the A1 because of the frame rate needed..
The OM1 has a lot more FRPS then the E-M1x. Maybee its best to wait it out now to see what sony release with the A9iii and A1ii maybee.. and with Tamron's new lineup-telelenses for Sony coming soon..

The OM1 has a lot more FRPS then the E-M1x. Maybee its best to wait it out now to see what sony release with the A9iii and A1ii maybee.. and with Tamron's new lineup-telelenses for Sony coming soon..
The OM1 being a stacked sensor camera that can do 50 fps with tracking and 120 fps without tracking and have pro-capture makes it a very nice camera when using with the Pro line of lenses. Subject detection for birds is extremely good. I'm just as comfortable using the OM-1 as I am with the A7Rv for bird AF. The handheld focus stacking has been too much fun for me. I'm still waiting for the Flashpoint remote for my V1 flash units to see how well those flash units will work on the OM-1. The OM-1 like the A1 even provides flash sync up to 1/400 (undocumented and people have been doing it).

Last week, I did add a superzoom to the OM kit for those times I just want a light carry - the 12-200 which is a 24-400. Ordered new at a used price from Hong Kong and once again it like the Laowa 6mm f2 (with aperture control) got to me in three days! Meanwhile, the 90mm macro (the main reason I switched out my Fujifilm system for OMDS), is finally coming to me sometime this week.

Hopefully, the 24-70 GM II will finally get to me also. Seems that the distributors were on spring break last week with that lens.

Right after I posted this message, I watched the following funny and informative YT video. Pretty much hits on what I have experienced so far with the 40-150 f2.8 with the 2x TC (160-600 f5.6) compared to the 200-600 G. I'm glad I have both systems especially since the main purpose of the OM system is for those hikes for macro/close-up photography where I think the system really shines for me.

Last edited:
I'm following this with interest. Consider me m4/3 curious. :)

With todays noise reduction software like Topaz I really don't care about the noise. If the 150-400 Pro were more available I would have probably given the OM-1 a shot. It seems like it's still scarce and $$$. I'm going to stick with Sony for stacked sensor photography and might wait until the next big leap forward takes place. I hope it's Fuji with organic sensor / global shutter time in the near future.

It got the better of me wanting to speed up macro focusing that I would ordinarily do using a manual focus lens. Sony 90. Wow. Not impressed with focus hunting compared to my other Sony lenses but hey, it’s up close and personal!

Dipping into macro

GJF09285.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 12800

GJF09282.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 12800

GJF09320.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 7915/39575001 sec
  • ISO 160

GJF09307.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 13981/44739201 sec
  • ISO 160

I'm following this with interest. Consider me m4/3 curious. :)

With todays noise reduction software like Topaz I really don't care about the noise. If the 150-400 Pro were more available I would have probably given the OM-1 a shot. It seems like it's still scarce and $$$. I'm going to stick with Sony for stacked sensor photography and might wait until the next big leap forward takes place. I hope it's Fuji with organic sensor / global shutter time in the near future.
The OM1 is a stacked sensor I believe..

I finally cracked and purchased the OM-1 and the 300mm f4…
And have to say the Pro capture is a game changer..
Shot below is my first attempt with it..
_4171748-Edit.jpeg
  • OM-1
  • OLYMPUS M.300mm F4.0
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1600

Back