What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I purchased a Samyang 35-150mm f2-2.8 lens. Looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip to Germany and Austria.

I purchased a Samyang 35-150mm f2-2.8 lens. Looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip to Germany and Austria.
REPORT PLEASE !!!!

REPORT PLEASE !!!!
I haven't had the chance to test it a lot but did take it out the day after I got it. I shot some favorite shots from our downtown area. Here are some of those shots. I also tried it out in a music museum to see how it would work indoors with no flash. So far I am happy with it and it was $500 less than the Tamron 35-150. If you want to see the museum photos, I posted those at https://www.veazeyphotos.com/Photography/Sigal-Music-Museum and you can view the EXIF data by clicking on the Info icon at the bottom right of the photos.

JRV00350.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • SAMYANG AF 35-150mm F2-2.8
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100
JRV00366.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100
JRV00412.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 250
JRV00423.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250
JRV00431.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 200
JRV00434.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 160
JRV00445.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 640
JRV00448.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 500

Very nice! I had planned to buy this lens, but ended up going a different route. Might have to consider it in the future.

Very nice! I had planned to buy this lens, but ended up going a different route. Might have to consider it in the future.

I will know more after spending a couple of weeks using it on our upcoming trip. I purchased a Tamron 28-200 but decided to return it and get the Samyang 35-150 since I plan to shoot a lot of inside shots of churches, museums, etc. I have a Sigma 28-70 and used a similar lens last summer on a trip to Germany but often wished to have more reach. I expect to use this lens mostly and probably take a 16-35mm for wider angles.

This week i bought an A7IV and sold an Sony 28-70 kit lens.

Err, a few little odds and sods:

Some lens grease
Nikkor 200mm (for peanuts, as it needed the helicoid put so as to line-up with infinity and the focus ring was loose)
Nissin flash for my Sonys _ not the brightest flash out there, but I have the exact same one for my D700, so it's familiar (oh, and cheap)
A dollar (yup!) diffuser sheet that mounts on the lens between flash and subject

Selling the 17-28 Tamron. My neighbor gains the benefit of my GAS. :)

The 20-70 is so good that the 17-28 as good as it is becomes redundant.

I wrote off the adapted-Minolta experiment with a7ii, but still have a few good Maxxi zooms. So an a57 and 10-24 Tamron will arrive soon to re energize the 24-105D and 100-300D Apo.

Finally scratched an itch I've had for a while: I decided to try ON1 editing software. It's definitely different than what I've been using (DXO Photolab 6) and right now I'm still in the early learning stages. At first I fumbled around in the program and then realized that, yes, I really needed to bite the bullet and watch the videos they provide which show newcomers how to set up and use the program, and that did help. Probably there will still be more fumbling and stumbling around until I really begin to feel at home in this program. So far I do like the various options it offers for creative as well as functional editing of one's images. Just need to learn how to take best advantage of everything.....

The other day a company was having an end of the year sale here.
My wife said that I should try to see if I could rent the 150/600 Sigma Sports lens
You have to agree to renting it for 6 months of forget about it. So I followed each step and
after one little hiccup we get an email to give this number a call.
SO called it we did and to be told that everything is good and he will get in contact with the people to get it sent to me.
Now comes the wait as it really will save me missing out on a few shots.
So this is what I have got on line real soon.
After 12 months of renting I think it will cost $38 or so to buy the lens outright.
But the plus is once you get a good name you are close to open to be able to buy anything they have.
And I have my eye on the Sony a7ivR.

I've a nice Maxxum zoom trio getting little use, so I bought a used α58 oopz, α57! and a 10-24 Tamron for the wide side. That +24-105D +100-300D Apo will do nicely, with 70-210ii in reserve.

More details Elsewhere.

Last edited:
Decided I wanted reach with a better level of portability and was looking at a pretty decent discount as well as the current cashback promo here in Australia, so took the plunge on the Sony 100-400GMC. Got a very good deal on the 35 F1.4Gm too so, why not?

Both are excellent lenses. Enjoy!

Decided I wanted reach with a better level of portability and was looking at a pretty decent discount as well as the current cashback promo here in Australia, so took the plunge on the Sony 100-400GMC. Got a very good deal on the 35 F1.4Gm too so, why not?
That zoom is one I’ve been ogling. I rely on primes and my 200-600 but that lens, for shear convenience is very attractive.

The 35GM is a favorite

I rely on primes and my 200-600 but that lens, for shear convenience is very attractive.
Yeah same here, until a few recent trips highlighted how travelling (especially on aircraft) with the 200-600 is somewhat inconvenient. I still have it, and I am pretty sure I will use it, but if it doesn't come out with me over the next year, I will likely sell it.

Received my Bahtinov mask today, probably the cheapest photography related item imaginable, but hoping to use it to take my astrophotography to a next level. Now I just need to get out of the city again on a cloudless night.

Added a capture clip to my Peak Design Micro-Clutch order.

Received my Bahtinov mask today, probably the cheapest photography related item imaginable, but hoping to use it to take my astrophotography to a next level. Now I just need to get out of the city again on a cloudless night.
I had never heard of this device. What lens or telescope are you putting it on?

Hank, Its a screen that goes across your lens to help focus on stars. They’re quite cheap. I can never remember what they’re called when I’m looking for one, so still don’t own one!!!

Once you’ve set focus, you take it off.

Hank, Its a screen that goes across your lens to help focus on stars. They’re quite cheap. I can never remember what they’re called when I’m looking for one, so still don’t own one!!!

Does that mean it is hemisphere-dependent too?

I had never heard of this device. What lens or telescope are you putting it on?

What Gary said ☝️ And you can even 3D print your own if you have the right printer.
Planning to use it with a 70-200 f2.8 (if my wife will let me borrow the lens from her)
Still learning about astrophotography and experimenting so we’ll have to see how it turns out.

Nothing new to report, but considering the 35 1.4 GM. Always loved that length. It just feels right to me. I shoot nature/landscapes mainly w some portraiture. I will probably sell my 24-105 f4 and the sigma 105 2.8.

Trying to decide if I stick w a 35 or also take a look at the 24 GM 1.4

Nothing new to report, but considering the 35 1.4 GM. Always loved that length. It just feels right to me. I shoot nature/landscapes mainly w some portraiture. I will probably sell my 24-105 f4 and the sigma 105 2.8.

Trying to decide if I stick w a 35 or also take a look at the 24 GM 1.4
I love using my 35GM f1.4 but like you’ve suggested, I like to grab a bit more view sometimes, so I also purchased a Sony 20mm F1.8, and it’s a lovely lens. You could even purchase it first. :) (You can get to 35 using clear image zoom)

Bought a lens hood for my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 ART, apparently it didn't' come with one. Also bought a Meike battery grip for the a7iii.

Bought a lens hood for my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 ART, apparently it didn't' come with one. Also bought a Meike battery grip for the a7iii.
Uh oh...

Back