What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I finally cracked and purchased the OM-1 and the 300mm f4…
And have to say the Pro capture is a game changer..
Shot below is my first attempt with it..
View attachment 36884
Yeah, once they resolve the low-light issue with the smaller sensor you may see a lot of people jumping the FF ship. They've definitely improved it but not quite there yet. Soon, though.

I finally got a "monochrome" camera!
A CLA'ed black OM-1 in near mint condition with a working meter. 🤪
Looking at the cost of monochrome cameras including the Pentax coming out next month, I realized that maybe I should just get a film camera and shoot some b&w film in it.

Four reasons for me getting the OM-1:
1) Due to me shooting digital infrared, I have the Zuiko 24, 35, 50, 100, and 200 lenses.
2) Nostalgia. :) My first "real" camera was the OM-1 and now that I have the digital OM-1 I wanted to go full-circle. The first and the last OM-1 camera with the Olympus name on them.
3) If the meter dies, the camera will continue to operate - just no meter.
4) Compact - it was the OM-1 that got me starting to use Fujifilm back in 2015 because the X-T1 gave me fond memories of the OM-1.

The photography item I got today was a Sony Tough G SD card - the 256GB version finally became available. More expensive than I’d like (about the same as a 160GB CFeA), but just as fast as the 128GB Tough G cards. Got it for the A7RV - I don’t really need the speed of CFeA, but I like a bit more space than 128GB :)

I am experimenting with the 20-70mm f/4 G on the A7RV as a walk-around setup. 20mm on that lens is more useful than a 20mm prime, because I can switch all the way through to 70mm. I tried wandering with a 20mm prime, but it proved frustrating - this is more fun.

My video knowledge is tragically lacking. Picked up a Rode Videomic Pro+ to play with to learn on.

My video knowledge is tragically lacking. Picked up a Rode Videomic Pro+ to play with to learn on.
One thing I learned after my first time using a Rode mike: if you plug it in, but don't turn it on (I was using one that took a 9V battery) you end up shooting a silent movie...

Sent my Tamron 24mm f2.8 to keh.com to trade in for a used macro lens. If it's still available, I'll probably pick up the APSC 30mm macro from Sony. This way I'll have a casual lens capable of macro when I do more flower photography.

The JJC Photo Slide and Film Digitizer Converter with 10-Levels Brightness LED Backlight.
Since I have the A7Rv and the 90 G, this tool will allow me to digitize my film strips and make it possible to continue to do so with my film camera.
Also ordered a 49mm yellow and green filter for B&W photography. Thanks to infrared, I already have the orange (515nm) and red (590nm) filters. Only need 49mm filters since all my OM Zuiko lenses were carefully selected with that filter size.

I received my OM-1 today and I was amazed.

Tested the meter using sunny 16 and it was correct. The camera almost looks new is what shocked me, the black body has has very little abrasion to it. The focusing screen is the only real indication of needing some work done to it. I have ordered a new 1-13 screen since I could not find my favorite which is the 1-14.
From: https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograp...mpusom1n2/shared/accessory/screens/index1.htm
Most suitable for normal photography, very similar to 1-13 type except the split image in the center is aligned diagonally to make focusing easy with eiher vertical or horizontal subjects. The central split image rangefinder is encircled by a microprism collar. Since the outer area has a matte surface, the screen can be used in the same way as the standard 1-1 and 1-3 screens. When a lens with a maximum speed of F5.6 or slower is used, the prism may be darkens and focusing must be made on the outer matte area. The meter needle indicates proper exposures.
This will get me the tool that helps replace the 1-1 screen and hopefully get it cleaner.

Just ordered the Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for Sony E, Bundle with 55mm Filter Kit, Cleaning Kit, Lens Cap Tether. With how the lens is designed I don't think that the filters will work with it but given the extra cost of $0 for the bundle my expectations are resting on the floor for them. The cleaning kit is a cleaning kit and why not take it.

Just ordered the Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for Sony E, Bundle with 55mm Filter Kit, Cleaning Kit, Lens Cap Tether. With how the lens is designed I don't think that the filters will work with it but given the extra cost of $0 for the bundle my expectations are resting on the floor for them. The cleaning kit is a cleaning kit and why not take it.
I'll be curious to see your review

This week i bought Tamron 20-40 F2.8. to test on real estate

I they would've mad that an f/2 it would've been tough to resist.
F2 handheld indoors would be great. I personally didn't mind since anything i shoot wide is usually on a tripod at F9.5 - F13.
I had considered the new 16-35 F4 G but the distortion at the wider side is a nightmare.

F2 handheld indoors would be great. I personally didn't mind since anything i shoot wide is usually on a tripod at F9.5 - F13.
I had considered the new 16-35 F4 G but the distortion at the wider side is a nightmare.
I do a lot more low-light outdoors spring through fall than I'd like. Considering the 35-150/2-2.8, but it really only helps at the wide end. Too much money for so little advantage. I'm going to shoot this evening with a 35/1.4 and an 85/1.4, will see how those FLs do for me. I may end up with a 24 and/or a 135 depending on how it goes.

I finally received my backup camera for my Olympus system. A like new silver body PEN F. Other than lack of weather sealing this camera is a style of camera I like and decided to let form take over my choice for a second camera (if common sense would have kicked in, I would have ordered the OM-5 that is on sale 🤪 ).

Manual focus bokeliciousness. Voigtlander 23mm 1.2 in X Mount for my Fuji X-T cameras. Feels beautifully damped and solid.
Unlike the cheap and cheerful options - full electronic communication with camera for ibis, exif etc.

Isn't this site supposed to be primarily focused on Sony cameras and lenses? Why are people posting here about other gear from other brands of cameras -- bodies and lenses which have nothing to do with Sony? Aren't there other sites on the internet which are dedicated to those brands, or sites which are brand-agnostic?

Isn't this site supposed to be primarily focused on Sony cameras and lenses? Why are people posting here about other gear from other brands of cameras -- bodies and lenses which have nothing to do with Sony? Aren't there other sites on the internet which are dedicated to those brands, or sites which are brand-agnostic?
Because many of us shoot Sony + other systems or buy non-Sony gear for our Sonys? :)

I appreciate it as I’m intrigued by m4/3 and it’s nice to get the perspective from someone that shoots Sony as well. That way I don’t have to hang around an Oly board and hear just from folks that might only be familiar with Olympus.

Last edited:
These threads are usually pretty popular, figured maybe we can generate some activity. Post any purchases or sales/trades of photo gear. This could be anything from a filter to a new computer purchased for editing. Software, accessories, and of course bodies and lenses!

I'll start! My only recent purchase was a neoprene cover, kind of like an ever-ready case for the A7 IV with the Tamron 17-28 mounted. I found out I used that setup exclusively at Autorama, I could've left the 35/1.4 and bag home. The cover will be nice for walking in crowds, setting it down at events, etc.

As for selling, I sold a handful of A-Mount stuff I had no plans for. Two Tamrons, a 17-50/2.8 and a 200-500, and two Sony A bodies, an SLT-A65 and an A700. I kind of liked the A700, but I realized it had sat for well over a year without coming out of the case.

What about you?
What a cool thread Brownie
I just sold 3 photo backpacks ( I know but we all buy stuff we don’t need) and have bought 2 more batteries for my DJI action 3

Some weeks ago I bought a strap from Vincov to replace the default Sony strap. I wasn't unsure at first but reviews were great. After carrying the camera around with it all this time I can confirm it's not only stylish but also comfortable (at least for lighter cameras like the a7c or the a6xxx series). After a hot, humid day out I don't feel any itch in the neck.

20230414_104458.JPG

A $7 IR shutter trigger because the one I got free years ago died, broke when trying to replace the battery and I don't see a need for one that costs far more.

I purchased a Sony 2x TC. I've got a trip to Germany (with a side trip to Austria) planned for this summer and hope that the 2x along with the 70-200 GM OSS2 will work well for longer reach.

Oops Ive done it again……
Couldn’t t resist a great deal on a Tamron 24mm f2.8, razor sharp and 1:2 close focus, all for only £190

Teleconverter then used in aps-c mode.
IMG_2260.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 280-840mm F8.0-9.0 OSS
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1000

IMG_2278.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 2000

And a long way off….

IMG_2232.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 3200

IMG_2264.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1000

I have the new Viltrox 28mm 18 on my Sony A7RV. Amazing lens makes a case for not buying a Leica Q3. Going to shoot Chinatown Philadelphia today with it. Sharp super quiet and fast focus nails A and is full frame. $379

I have the new Viltrox 28mm 18 on my Sony A7RV. Amazing lens makes a case for not buying a Leica Q3. Going to shoot Chinatown Philadelphia today with it. Sharp super quiet and fast focus nails A and is full frame. $379
Please start the thread and post images when you can. Interested in seeing how this one does!

Oh yeah, and welcome aboard!

Back