Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A7R III Writing to card indicator not finishing in single shot mode.

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

toddhollett

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Todd Hollett
Does anyone have the issue of the number remaining images to be written to card not finishing in single shot mode? Both the remaining images to be written (in the top left of the monitor) and the read/write red light (bottom right on the back of the camera) are on indefinitely after taking a shot in single shot mode. This does not hinder taking more shots, but the number of shots remaining to be written to the card accumulates, and does not decrease until I go into playback mode. I have no issue in Continuous Shooting mode. Camera firmware is at version 3.1.

Thanks in advance.

I have never had that experience, and I'd worry about it. Is it happening on all of your cards, or just a particular one - if it's card specific, I'd consider that card dangerous, and stop using it. If it's on all your cards, I'd try a camera reset, then if it persists, take it in for evaluation.

One quick question, though: when you want to clear the card for new images, do you format it in camera (the recommended approach), or delete all the images in camera, or delete all the images in a card reader on the computer. If it is the last, that may be your problem, because deleting the files in a card reader on the computer does not clear the Sony database, and maybe the database is full of no-longer-existing image data, and the camera is having to extend the database to record the next image?

Maybe try re-formatting the card in the camera (it's quick!), and see if that makes the problem disappear?

Thanks Tony. I do format in camera, so that wasn't the issue. I'm going to try a new card and see how that goes.

I have never had that experience, and I'd worry about it. Is it happening on all of your cards, or just a particular one - if it's card specific, I'd consider that card dangerous, and stop using it. If it's on all your cards, I'd try a camera reset, then if it persists, take it in for evaluation.

One quick question, though: when you want to clear the card for new images, do you format it in camera (the recommended approach), or delete all the images in camera, or delete all the images in a card reader on the computer. If it is the last, that may be your problem, because deleting the files in a card reader on the computer does not clear the Sony database, and maybe the database is full of no-longer-existing image data, and the camera is having to extend the database to record the next image?

Maybe try re-formatting the card in the camera (it's quick!), and see if that makes the problem disappear?
Ok. I finally figured out the issue by a fluke. I started to lose other functionality as well; wouldn't track face or eyes, choppy monitor display, occasional loss of live image, etc. I decided to remove the vertical grip (to remove the batteries). I placed one battery directly in the camera (i e. no grip), and everything worked fine again. Then re-attached the grip and everything is ok now. Maybe it's a problem with the connector pins in the grip that didn't show up for some reason I the past, or could the battery removal have reset something?

Ok. I finally figured out the issue by a fluke. I started to lose other functionality as well; wouldn't track face or eyes, choppy monitor display, occasional loss of live image, etc. I decided to remove the vertical grip (to remove the batteries). I placed one battery directly in the camera (i e. no grip), and everything worked fine again. Then re-attached the grip and everything is ok now. Maybe it's a problem with the connector pins in the grip that didn't show up for some reason I the past, or could the battery removal have reset something?
That's disturbing. Is it a Sony grip, or another brand?

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

New in Marketplace

Back