Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
What I want to do is visit every Zoo and Open Plains Zoo in Australia.
I am not sure if they are call this all over the world but the animals are close enough able to walk about free and making it
as close to their natural state.
I know many people frown on Zoo's but in many cases these place are what are keep some of the animal on the planet.
With the work they do so to me this is my main Bucket list thing I want to do.

If you join one of the zoos you will get access to many of the others, but there are always some you’ll have to buy a ticket to enter (for example the Wildlife Park in Ballarat).

You could buy full-price tickets to all of the zoos, but that comes to a fair chunk of change. For example, in Victoria, getting an annual membership to Zoos Victoria is cheaper than a single ticket to all 4 zoos. (Tickets to 3 of them is more than the annual membership, in fact).

I have not visited all the zoos, but I’d like to.

The Taronga Western Plains Zoo is really cool. You drive your own car around and many of the exhibits, if you wanted to, you could stay in your car if that was your predilection.

On Sunday the weather was cooler so the animals were all pretty comfortable and their enclosures are very large so a good zoom lens is useful.

Also, DUBBO enjoys beautiful starlit skies just minutes out of the city environment. There’s an observatory near the zoo that lets you hook your camera up to their telescopes!

My favorite shots from Sunday…
GJF04522-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 783.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

GJF04494-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 783.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

GJF04879.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 602.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 12800

I was a member of Taronga Zoo for 4 years and visited regularly, but I never got out to Western Plains Zoo - had plans to, then someone decided to have a pandemic :-(

You might well enjoy Werribee Open Range Zoo, too.

If you join one of the zoos you will get access to many of the others, but there are always some you’ll have to buy a ticket to enter (for example the Wildlife Park in Ballarat).

You could buy full-price tickets to all of the zoos, but that comes to a fair chunk of change. For example, in Victoria, getting an annual membership to Zoos Victoria is cheaper than a single ticket to all 4 zoos. (Tickets to 3 of them is more than the annual membership, in fact).

I have not visited all the zoos, but I’d like to.
I had no idea about that as we don't get to Zoo's that often and I would love to get to more and this is why they are high on a list of must do's. Thank you for this information and went the time comes I know I will do as you have said as it seem so much more of a sensible thing to do. So it will be what we will do. Thanks again.
The Taronga Western Plains Zoo is really cool. You drive your own car around and many of the exhibits, if you wanted to, you could stay in your car if that was your predilection.

On Sunday the weather was cooler so the animals were all pretty comfortable and their enclosures are very large so a good zoom lens is useful.

Also, DUBBO enjoys beautiful starlit skies just minutes out of the city environment. There’s an observatory near the zoo that lets you hook your camera up to their telescopes!

My favorite shots from Sunday…
View attachment 43018
View attachment 43019
View attachment 43020
Our son is is Adelaide and it seems as if they now to have one of these open Plains Zoo's and he said he went in the truck thing that had and had a great time and I would say we woud do the same on our own.. Nice shots and this is what I would love to get for a change up from time to time. And helpful infor as well thanks so much.
I was a member of Taronga Zoo for 4 years and visited regularly, but I never got out to Western Plains Zoo - had plans to, then someone decided to have a pandemic :-(

You might well enjoy Werribee Open Range Zoo, too.
I know if we had a Zoo near by I would be a constant visitor. But sadly the closest is over 4 hours away which is Adelaide or I think the Dubbo is closer than Melbourne. But I have a brother just out of Geelong so we could use their place a home base. Thank you so much.

Monarto (now apparently Monarto Safari Park) is the open range zoo in SA - I just learned that apparently it’s the largest outside Africa!

There are two zoos near Adelaide (Monarto is 70km from Adelaide).

There are now four zoos run by Zoos Victoria - 3 near Melbourne, and the fourth in Kyabram. There are others in Victoria, like Moonlit on the Mornington Peninsula and the one in Ballarat.

I think there are two in NSW run by the Taronga team, but they don’t include Sydney Zoo. There are a number of private zoos, too.

If you search on zoos in Australia you get a list of 41, including several aquariums. It’s going to take a while to get to them all.

Monarto (now apparently Monarto Safari Park) is the open range zoo in SA - I just learned that apparently it’s the largest outside Africa!

There are now four zoos run by Zoos Victoria - 3 near Melbourne, and the fourth in Kyabram. There are others in Victoria, like Moonlit on the Mornington Peninsula and the one in Ballarat.

I think there are two in NSW run by the Taronga team, but they don’t include Sydney Zoo. There are a number of private zoos, too.

If you search on zoos in Australia you get a list of 41, including several aquariums. It’s going to take a while to get to them all.
Taronga Park Zoo is on Sydney Harbour.

They do concerts there sometimes as the views of sunset across the Harbour are spectacular.

They do concerts there sometimes as the views of sunset across the Harbour are spectacular.
They also do New Year’s Eve parties - not my thing, but apparently the bird arena gets a great view of the fireworks on the Harbour Bridge.

The open Plains one by Adelaide is where my son went and want me down there with my camera as he loved it as did his family.
When we are much closer to doing this even if it is state by state I will start my research.
But I had no idea we had that many (41) here.

I knew where Taronga Zoo is as it has been on tv heaps of times . Thanks.

Back