A6700 to be announced July 12

I've never used the A7C, I'm surprised the a6600 EVF is better! Regardless, I expect an improvement over what I have in the a6400 (which admittedly gets the job done).
On that last note, I am sorry your purchase plans don't quite coincide with the model refresh you were hoping for. It sucks that the release schedule isn't consistent across camera bodies, or that the cycle isn't shorter... but then we'd always be grumbling that there's a newer camera body with new features to obtain lol.

My experience with A7C EVF is that the first day I hated it and it even gave me headache. But from the second day I got accustomed to it and I use it all the time with no fuss. To the point that now I only rely on the touchscreen for touch focus, some menus or checking the pictures I took.

Of course I'm right eye dominant and don't wear glasses. I guess that helps.

They can make it bigger or better in future iterations of the camera but just like the camera itself it got undeserved bad credit. It gets the job done while keeping the compactness.

Last edited:
My experience with A7C EVF is that the first day I hated it and it even gave me headache. But from the second day I got accustomed to it and I use it all the time with no fuss. To the point that now I only rely on the touchscreen for touch focus, some menus or checking the pictures I took.

Of course I'm right eye dominant and don't wear glasses. I guess that helps.

They can make it bigger or better in future iterations of the camera but just like the camera itself it got undeserved bad credit. It gets the job done while keeping the compactness.
Same here with the a6400 EVF, I got used to it very quickly, and right eye dominance made for an easy adoption.

What shall we tell Olympus 🤔 with their 4/3s or Fuji n Pentax (if they had only made their monochrome f/f! hehe)

4/3 makes more sense than APSC, and the OM1 is remarkable, especially for the money. Pentax have lost the plot altogether, having stated they are not going to make a mirrorless camera. Their gear is great, but that's a mistake. I don't even look at Fuji.

So what do you guys think/hope of the A6700?

In my opinion it would be cool if it got a stacked sensor and improved low-light performance (compared to my A6300). It will have IBIS and (hopefully) the front dial for shutter speed. 24 or 26 megapixel, I don't really care about the 2mp difference. Same as body style, I love my A6300 and even with my large hands I can still operate it... A little bigger wouldn't hurt though.

Additionally, what would be the price? If it will be close(r) to Sony's entry level Full Frame cameras I think it will compete with the A7C and the upcoming A7C-II. So either they will create a beast in a small package with a hefty price tag, or it will 'just' be an update of the A6600 at a slightly higher price.

Only 5 more weeks until we find out :cool:

PS. the rumors also mention an updated 70-200 F/4 G that will be announced on the same day..

Honestly I don't think it will be much of a difference. I really don't think Sony have enough of a client base for it to do anything more or groundbreaking. Tey seem to be very lazy when it comes to this kind of thing. I would expect the latest AF modes etc, but it's unlikely you will get a stacked sensor.

Honestly I don't think it will be much of a difference. I really don't think Sony have enough of a client base for it to do anything more or groundbreaking. Tey seem to be very lazy when it comes to this kind of thing. I would expect the latest AF modes etc, but it's unlikely you will get a stacked sensor.
I think you are right, but it would be cool! There aren't that many APSC with a stacked sensor

So what do you guys think/hope of the A6700?

In my opinion it would be cool if it got a stacked sensor and improved low-light performance (compared to my A6300). It will have IBIS and (hopefully) the front dial for shutter speed. 24 or 26 megapixel, I don't really care about the 2mp difference. Same as body style, I love my A6300 and even with my large hands I can still operate it... A little bigger wouldn't hurt though.

Additionally, what would be the price? If it will be close(r) to Sony's entry level Full Frame cameras I think it will compete with the A7C and the upcoming A7C-II. So either they will create a beast in a small package with a hefty price tag, or it will 'just' be an update of the A6600 at a slightly higher price.

Only 5 more weeks until we find out :cool:

PS. the rumors also mention an updated 70-200 F/4 G that will be announced on the same day..
They'll be using the same sensor that the FX-30 has, 26mp BSI, so not stacked. Sony makes the most of their sensors [economically speaking] by using them across multiple camera bodies and not by developing a "one-of" sensor. I know you know that, but repeating it out loud is like reminding myself that we can't expect too many surprises from Sony 😅

Price is an interesting topic I don't think we've touched yet. Currently an a6600 body is $1400 brand new on B&H, while an FX-30 is $1800. So yeah, figure your range to be $1500-$1800. It would be nice if the price was on the lower side of that range, but I expect it will be the same price as the FX-30.

They'll be using the same sensor that the FX-30 has, 26mp BSI, so not stacked. Sony makes the most of their sensors [economically speaking] by using them across multiple camera bodies and not by developing a "one-of" sensor. I know you know that, but repeating it out loud is like reminding myself that we can't expect too many surprises from Sony 😅

Price is an interesting topic I don't think we've touched yet. Currently an a6600 body is $1400 brand new on B&H, while an FX-30 is $1800. So yeah, figure your range to be $1500-$1800. It would be nice if the price was on the lower side of that range, but I expect it will be the same price as the FX-30.
Indeed! I know, it was more wishful thinking from my end 😅

The A7C is currently $1600, so I expect the A7C-II that will be announced later this year to be around $1800. Since the bodies are similar size (A6700 and A7C-II), why would anyone go for the APS-C body instead of FF? There is a benefit in cheaper/lighter lenses for APS-C but they will work on the FF body as well...:unsure:

I am interested in the A7C-II, the A6700 (because of the size), and the A7IV (because of the capabilities), as my significant other also has taken an interest in photography she is more often taking the camera leaving me bare-handed.

The A7C is currently $1600, so I expect the A7C-II that will be announced later this year to be around $1800. Since the bodies are similar size (A6700 and A7C-II), why would anyone go for the APS-C body instead of FF? There is a benefit in cheaper/lighter lenses for APS-C but they will work on the FF body as well...:unsure:

I am interested in the A7C-II, the A6700 (because of the size), and the A7IV (because of the capabilities), as my significant other also has taken an interest in photography she is more often taking the camera leaving me bare-handed.
Assuming...(I know!) Sony uses the A7IV sensor in the new A7cII, the resolution with an APS-C lens would be just under 15MP. If smaller/lighter is your objective while retaining resolution, you'd be further ahead with the 6700.

Assuming...(I know!) Sony uses the A7IV sensor in the new A7cII, the resolution with an APS-C lens would be just under 15MP. If smaller/lighter is your objective while retaining resolution, you'd be further ahead with the 6700.
Very true!

For me personally, I have 4 lenses of which 1 is an APS-C lens. I held a A7IV in the store and it did not feel that big... also the weight difference between APS-C and FF is mostly in the lenses... I guess I will have to get the A7IV and hope my gf finds it too big :ROFLMAO:

Hmm, so looking at current camera body prices between $1500 and $2500:
$1400 A6600
$1600 A7C
$1800 FX30
$2200 ZVE1
$2500 A7IV

Regarding your highlighted question, Tim answered it best.

From a marketing perspective, if I were Sony I would try to avoid your question by NOT overlapping the pricing of the the A6700 and A7CII. I would keep the APSC's price lower. This could mean the A6700 takes the A7C's current price range of $1600-1800 and the A7CII (especially if it has an A7IV sensor) takes a position closer to $1800-2100.
The A7CII might get the AI focusing enhancements that the ZVE1 has, plus IBIS, so I figure those two cameras are either going to be VERY close in price, or the A7CII will take the $2200 slot and the ZVE1 will get a $100 rebate.

Very true!

For me personally, I have 4 lenses of which 1 is an APS-C lens. I held a A7IV in the store and it did not feel that big... also the weight difference between APS-C and FF is mostly in the lenses... I guess I will have to get the A7IV and hope my gf finds it too big :ROFLMAO:
It's not big. In fact, the A7 IV is smaller than my Panasonic G9 was. Camera body size has little to do with kit compactness these days. Until they can subvert physics, it's about the lenses.

Hmm, so looking at current camera body prices between $1500 and $2500:
$1400 A6600
$1600 A7C
$1800 FX30
$2200 ZVE1
$2500 A7IV

Regarding your highlighted question, Tim answered it best.

From a marketing perspective, if I were Sony I would try to avoid your question by NOT overlapping the pricing of the the A6700 and A7CII. I would keep the APSC's price lower. This could mean the A6700 takes the A7C's current price range of $1600-1800 and the A7CII (especially if it has an A7IV sensor) takes a position closer to $1800-2100.
The A7CII might get the AI focusing enhancements that the ZVE1 has, plus IBIS, so I figure those two cameras are either going to be VERY close in price, or the A7CII will take the $2200 slot and the ZVE1 will get a $100 rebate.
This makes a lot of sense! Let's see if they listen to you!

Sony Alpha Rumors (Andrea) shared that there might be a new 16-80 f4 APSC lens announced on July 12th alongside the a6700...
Somehow, I don't find this exciting. I am VERY happy with my Tamron 17-70 f2.8; its my all-in-one lens. If I didn't have this lens, I might have gone with the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (capable and compact) or Sony 16-55mm f2.8 lens (pricey). Notice the commonality? wider aperture. I think APSC needs the flexibility and light gathering of a wider aperture for photography, BUT if this lens is very compact, or internal focusing for video/gimbal work then I would understand how it may be useful for others.

According to the source, when compared against a Fuji XT-5, the A6700 will have...
  1. Better Dynamic Range
  2. Better Autofocus
  3. Better AI features
  4. Better Image stabilization
  5. Will cost less than the XT5
WOW.
  1. I am glad Andrea corrected himself on #1, because he originally said better image quality which led my mind to wonder if the megapixel wars were heating up. However, by saying "better dynamic range" that's as much as a confirmation that the FX30 sensor will be used.
  2. Better Autofocus is a given
  3. Better AI features (insert eye-roll here)
  4. Better Image Stabilization? Really? I mean if that's true, I cannot wait!
  5. Cost less than the XT5. Hmmm, I assume that is based on MSRP of $1700 ($1699) USD and not market price. This would mean the A6700 will probably be $1600-$1698. That is what I expected.

I like my X-T5 quite a lot. It's got much of what I love about Fuji.
It doesn't come close to Sony AF however.

I personally hope Sony will deliver a baby A1 crop stacked sensor wildlife/speed beast. I'd definitely be interested in that. They could go head to head with the X-H2S and the variety of E mount glass would make it a strong contender against any crop camera period.

Agree with Matthias - A7C II would be my choice over an A6700 as well but it better have more/better controls than the A7C and way better EVF as well.

I like my X-T5 quite a lot. It's got much of what I love about Fuji.
It doesn't come close to Sony AF however.

I personally hope Sony will deliver a baby A1 crop stacked sensor wildlife/speed beast. I'd definitely be interested in that. They could go head to head with the X-H2S and the variety of E mount glass would make it a strong contender against any crop camera period.

Agree with Matthias - A7C II would be my choice over an A6700 as well but it better have more/better controls than the A7C and way better EVF as well.
Buy an A1 and use it as a stacked crop sensor beast... Yeah, I know, as in one with same mp count and cheaper

...but did you see that YT recently comparing the XT to the Z8?

Buy an A1 and use it as a stacked crop sensor beast... Yeah, I know, as in one with same mp count and cheaper

...but did you see that YT recently comparing the XT to the Z8?
I already have an A1 and crop mode is quite useful. A higher mp crop stacked sensor body would be pretty cool.

XT vs Z8? Makes no sense. More than double the price, stacked FF vs bsi crop - not likely too many cross shopping those two.

I already have an A1 and crop mode is quite useful. A higher mp crop stacked sensor body would be pretty cool.

XT vs Z8? Makes no sense. More than double the price, stacked FF vs bsi crop - not likely too many cross shopping those two.
I guess he was looking at the mp count as being numerically close, as well as making a refresher video of the f/f sensor vs the aps-c sensor debate (and those that make videos have to put out about 3 or 4 per week to stay current afaik)

Technical details aside, people do wonder from time to time whether they can get away by using a smaller sensor yet.

Personally I am hoping for an even bigger sensor, as to me, this feels similar to the days of film - where medium format was just so beautiful to shoot - but of course, the bigger format cameras have never been very wieldy. So, otoh the institutions will sell people on the idea of smaller is now good enough (people love their phones), and on the other foot we might ponder something like, well if they can make things all smaller now (sensor excl.) why not a medium format with fast AF and handy size? Anyhow, just dreaming.

I guess he was looking at the mp count as being numerically close, as well as making a refresher video of the f/f sensor vs the aps-c sensor debate (and those that make videos have to put out about 3 or 4 per week to stay current afaik)

Technical details aside, people do wonder from time to time whether they can get away by using a smaller sensor yet.

Personally I am hoping for an even bigger sensor, as to me, this feels similar to the days of film - where medium format was just so beautiful to shoot - but of course, the bigger format cameras have never been very wieldy. So, otoh the institutions will sell people on the idea of smaller is now good enough (people love their phones), and on the other foot we might ponder something like, well if they can make things all smaller now (sensor excl.) why not a medium format with fast AF and handy size? Anyhow, just dreaming.
I have a pretty substantial GFX kit but grab the A1 first more often than not. 102mp is great but the fastest native lens so far is the 80 1.7 and the GM 50 1.2 gives it a run for the money with much better AF. I’m afraid no company will make a stacked sensor af beast MF camera in the near future.

I have a pretty substantial GFX kit but grab the A1 first more often than not. 102mp is great but the fastest native lens so far is the 80 1.7 and the GM 50 1.2 gives it a run for the money with much better AF. I’m afraid no company will make a stacked sensor af beast MF camera in the near future.
Yup, not exactly in their interests

Apparently Sony has registered two new cameras about to be announced. They are believed to be the A6700 and the A7CII, which should follow shortly after the July 12th announcement of the A6700.

Last edited:
Apparently Sony has registered two new cameras about to be announced. They are believed to be the A7000 and the A7CII, which should follow shortly after the July 12th announcement of the A7000.

The A7000 rumors have faded into the abyss. It's the A6700.

So we're 6 days away from the announcement, but one of the rumors that I think might be true is that it will have twin SD card slots.
Now in the a6400, the SD card read/write speed is pretty slow, but if the A6700 is to have UHS-II card slots, I'm thinking to upgrade from my 95mb/s cards to a pair of 250mb/s cards. Will that be fast enough?

Amazon Prime day is coming, and I might as well get some new SD cards if they go on sale...

So we're 6 days away from the announcement, but one of the rumors that I think might be true is that it will have twin SD card slots.
Now in the a6400, the SD card read/write speed is pretty slow, but if the A6700 is to have UHS-II card slots, I'm thinking to upgrade from my 95mb/s cards to a pair of 250mb/s cards. Will that be fast enough?

Amazon Prime day is coming, and I might as well get some new SD cards if they go on sale...
Answering my own question, v60 cards might be good enough for photography, but v90 are suggested for higher bitrate video options in the FX30, so I will use that as my buying guide...

That's a very cool screen, but I bet in the end I wouldn't use it all that much. I can live with any screen, but I tend to use tilt more than anything.
I hear it added a bit of bulk to the A7RV vs the A7RIV.
Like you, I mainly only use tilt. However, when I used to do videos, I made use of the flip-up position to frame myself in the shot (poorly). The vlogger style flip-to-the-side screen will be good enough.

That's a very cool screen, but I bet in the end I wouldn't use it all that much. I can live with any screen, but I tend to use tilt more than anything.

I don't use that at all. Maybe once or twice for some low angles. But I do appreciate that I can twitch the screen towards the camera body, so it is protected from scratches while carrying the camera in my bag.

Last edited:
Back