A6700 will have focus stacking in camera?

Interesting. I don't think I have ever focus stacked, though I know how to do it in theory.
Full frame cameras have had this feature for a while right?

Interesting. I don't think I have ever focus stacked, though I know how to do it in theory.
Full frame cameras have had this feature for a while right?
Well, mine sure don't! I honestly don't know if any of Sony's do. Some will take the images but they have to be stacked in the computer. This has been one of the biggest complaints by landscape and macro photogs for a while.

If all the rumors are true, A6700 will be quite a beast in compact size and with features (menus, touchscreen, IBIS, IA, focus stacking) similar or even better than other cameras supposedly aimed to more professional shooters.

Looking forward how this proves out... and also wondering what they might include in the A7CII to diferentiate it from the A6700, apart from a bigger sensor.

Well, mine sure don't! I honestly don't know if any of Sony's do. Some will take the images but they have to be stacked in the computer. This has been one of the biggest complaints by landscape and macro photogs for a while.
I thought at the A7RV did it in camera, but I understand what you mean about the camera taking the images but not stacking them.
The a6400 does HDR in camera, but only if you save as jpg, if you select raw, you get 3 images. I suspect this will be the way they implement a focus stacking feature as well.

If all the rumors are true, A6700 will be quite a beast in compact size and with features (menus, touchscreen, IBIS, IA, focus stacking) similar or even better than other cameras supposedly aimed to more professional shooters.

Looking forward how this proves out... and also wondering what they might include in the A7CII to diferentiate it from the A6700, apart from a bigger sensor.
Software and processing chips from Sony sometimes have similar features across cameras when a new level of advancement is reached. For example: because the ZVE1 has AI focusing, we'll probably see it in the A6700 and A7CII. So I would expect anything the A6700 has, to be in the A7CII as well... but that is just me thinking out loud.

I thought at the A7RV did it in camera, but I understand what you mean about the camera taking the images but not stacking them.
The a6400 does HDR in camera, but only if you save as jpg, if you select raw, you get 3 images. I suspect this will be the way they implement a focus stacking feature as well.
It takes the photos in the camera, but they have to be stacked in the computer. This is different from other manufacturers that stack the images in the camera.

It takes the photos in the camera, but they have to be stacked in the computer. This is different from other manufacturers that stack the images in the camera.
Olympus err OMD does it right?

Olympus err OMD does it right?
Them for sure, Panasonic on several M-4/3 models and I'm pretty sure their L-Mount full frames as well. Not sure about Nikon or Canon, but I think Fuji takes the same approach as Sony.

If Sony puts this in the A6700 it's going to appeal to a lot of users.

There was a focus stacking app in Openmemories. It just took the images though and now of little use for current cameras

True focus stacking process including auto focus plane advance, photo alignment, collation and blending is not possible and would be very
very slow Even if it were possible.

The nikon cameras from the d850 on and Canon include focus stacking of sorts wherein the camera automatically advances the focal plane
Through a defined distance and no of increments and tags the files to be stacked, whereas none of the sony cameras to date do so except
for manual focus plane advancement which is the poor man's version of focus stacking.

Without putting too much confidence in rumours , for sure sony must by now have a cear understanding their top professional cameras are
lagging behind at least 2 of the other major camera maufacturers in this area. Even if they only provide the auto focus plane advancement/
increment with resulting image file collation that in itself would be a significant win alongside the other areas of technological advancemet
they are obviously lagging behind in currently.

The A7RV has it, so I won't be surprised. I'm not sure how well it works, it's focus bracketing, not true stacking, but I've seen examples of shots from a Canon R7 and some from an OM1 that use a similar method and they are impressive to be honest. It will be an interesting thing to see.

surely focus stacking is only of any use if you can get a shot in focus anyway, and rules out most of us ;) right

surely focus stacking is only of any use if you can get a shot in focus anyway, and rules out most of us ;) right
If you tell the camera to do it, shouldn't be a problem. HANDS OFF! :ROFLMAO:

If you tell the camera to do it, shouldn't be a problem. HANDS OFF! :ROFLMAO:
Well I had the oly on the cruise and that focus stacks but I do not think I need it, I and others need more help than that ;)

Well I had the oly on the cruise and that focus stacks but I do not think I need it, I and others need more help than that ;)
Tough to focus stack on a ship!

In the real world, focus stacking is useful for landscape, studio product/macro photography and of course field
Shooting wherein plant/flower and or insects/bugs subjects are static in the main...a minor degree of movement
can be accommodated to ensure alignment of the Images and ultimate blending is not outside acceptable limits.

Focus and exposure bracketing is not focus stacking in so far as bracketing addresses a narrow level of variation
Of exposure or focal interval.....focus stacking comes into its own for product and studio macro environments
Wherein the DOF is low and required focus interval steps can be 50 or more up to 100 or more as required.

In the real world, focus stacking is useful for landscape, studio product/macro photography and of course field
Shooting wherein plant/flower and or insects/bugs subjects are static in the main...a minor degree of movement
can be accommodated to ensure alignment of the Images and ultimate blending is not outside acceptable limits.

Focus and exposure bracketing is not focus stacking in so far as bracketing addresses a narrow level of variation
Of exposure or focal interval.....focus stacking comes into its own for product and studio macro environments
Wherein the DOF is low and required focus interval steps can be 50 or more up to 100 or more as required.
Ray you seem to have the theory sorted as usual maybe you could start a thread on stacking and show us how its done as for me I am clueless only having done it a few times in the Olympus bodies, thanks in advance from us all (y)

Ray you seem to have the theory sorted as usual maybe you could start a thread on stacking and show us how its done as for me I am clueless only having done it a few times in the Olympus bodies, thanks in advance from us all (y)

I promise to do my best not to fall asleep... 😴

Back