Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A7R III A7r3 updates?

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Ftwolff

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Frank wolff
I have A73 and looking to add second camera.

I can buy another used A73 or an A7r3 for slightly more. New cameras are out of my budget. I would like the A7r3 for the extra resolution and pixel shift options.

I considered a6600 but it only has 1 card slot, but I have become accustomed to the secure backup feature of having 2 slots.

I shoot mainly portraits, PR events (no more weddings), sport league packages (little or no action) and will use for scanning negatives with Sigma 105 2.8 DG DN macro.

Lenses are:

Sony 24mm 1.4
Sony 55mm 1.8
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro

I have no doubts that camera is capable but concerned that it’s outdated and there willl be no more firmware updates. Last one 3.1 in 2019.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
FW

Last edited:
I own one as my only Sony. I have the 28/2, 24-105, 85/1.8, 28-70, and Tamron 70-300RXD. I don’t expect firmware updates, but I’m curious what specific updates you would want.

Any improvements in AF, Tracking, electronic shutter speeds. Some updates may not be possible due to processing speed, older hardware, etc.

I also have an a73 and that’s probably at its end or close to it for not getting any updates. My budget doesn’t cover a new camera so I’m looking for reliability over long term.

How long have you had your a7R3 and what is your experience with performance and reliability?
As an older model how does the sensor hold up to the newer models?

I see you use adapted lenses, what lenses and how’s the quality when adding the adapter to the mix?

Thanks
F

There probably won't be any firmware updates that add any significantly new features to the a7R III now, but you'll still see some for the odd fix and occasionally new lenses if required. I have an a7R III and it's still a very good camera, the a7R IV adds a few more megapixels and improves the AF tracking but it's certainly not a night and day difference. If you already have the a7III then personally I'd go with the a7R III for that extra resolution. I think Tamron might be a little offended by your spelling of their company name :)

New cameras are out of my budget.
That's not necessarily true. You can get a new 7III for about the same price as a used 7RIII. If your only concern is pixels get the R, if you want newer features and a little better AF, go with a new 7III. Or if you've considered the A6600 and don't mind the formfactor, look at the A7C.

There probably won't be any firmware updates that add any significantly new features to the a7R III now, but you'll still see some for the odd fix and occasionally new lenses if required. I have an a7R III and it's still a very good camera, the a7R IV adds a few more megapixels and improves the AF tracking but it's certainly not a night and day difference. If you already have the a7III then personally I'd go with the a7R III for that extra resolution. I think Tamron might be a little offended by your spelling of their company name :)
HA! Thanks for your feedback and checking my spelling! That's a whole different type of lens.....

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

New in Marketplace

Back