Birds Birds Non-BIF Thread - Post Your Shots Here

Whatever I have with me. Could be an A-Mount 100-400 or 500/8 Minolta, or in E-Mount a 100-400 Sigma or 200-600 Sony.

Oh sh*t, I didn't realise you were kitted up to that extent! Yeah, you definitely have no excuses there! 😄

Thing is I've never really been into bird or wildlife photography, other than the odd opportunistic shot here or there. I've always been more into the mechanized world like cars and airplanes, museums, abandoned or derelict buildings, some landscapes, etc. The 200-600 was purchased mostly for air shows. The 100-400 Sigma is my go-to at the drag strip. The Minolta lenses are just for fun. I keep swearing I'm going to go out and do it. I drive by Egrets and Herons almost every day on my way to work and home. I always think I'll go back on a weekend and make some photos, but never do.

Two geese on "golden pond":

On Golden Pond.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 640

A repost from the Minolta 100-400 thread with a bit more of a crop and some processing. It's obvious the 100-400 can perform given the right circumstances. I got lucky with this one and I am still learning the lens.

DSC08381 by telecast, on Flickr

My Female Pileated Woodpecker was back at the bark butter again today after a few days of not being around..
08F18C48-DED7-4516-B8EF-C6ADF98CE09A.jpeg
  • ILCE-9M2
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000
404F3822-AB92-4165-BA2F-B562EB8379E7.jpeg
  • ILCE-9M2
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Last edited:
Anytime I'm near cool birds, my camera is somewhere else. Anytime I have my camera, the cool birds are somewhere else.
Ain’t that the truth..

The bark butter has been getting some hits lately. I see empty cavities on yours. How long do you let it go before you refill?
At the moment I’m refilling them twice a week… I’m actually gonna make another batch today my first batch is almost finished.. I’m gonna make a double sized batch which should give me around 6 large Yogurt tubs full…

Sorry, but having your very own Pileated Woodpeckers kind of precludes you from my club. :ROFLMAO:
I actually had 3 sizes of woodpecker at the same time today .. Downy,Hairy and Pileated…

That last lot of three images I put up, the bird in the first shot, that there is a full big dog moment! There was a 1.8m long monitor lizard that was after a duck family, and this bloke full attacked the lizard, chased it and kept hammering it all the way to the thick shrubbery. If you want to know what it looks like when a bird has his chest all puffed up, this is it, this was about 10 seconds after that episode. A real man right there! 🦸‍♂️

At the moment I’m refilling them twice a week… I’m actually gonna make another batch today my first batch is almost finished.. I’m gonna make a double sized batch which should give me around 6 large Yogurt tubs full…
Question was more about do you wait until it's almost empty, or just spread more on when they get low?

Question was more about do you wait until it's almost empty, or just spread more on when they get low?
I usually wait until they are empty so as not to get any turning rotten..

Thanks Keithy. I just dug those up, they were from the first weekend that I got that lens. Basically my first ever wildlife shots. 😃

I usually wait until they are empty so as not to get any turning rotten..
Ok, that's what I was getting to, I just too a long route! Although with current temps I'm thinking there won't be a whole lotta' rottin' goin' on!

it's an old image a77ii and 70-200 a-mount and if this flies it is going to need a big runway, shot in Florida 2016 and I am hoping this is biggest non flyer
peacock.jpg
  • ILCA-77M2
  • 200mm F2.8
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 640

After cleaning up the hard drive on my desktop to gain space, I started going through my laptop to see if there are any duplicates. Sometimes I come home and upload to the laptop just for a quick look-through, but save processing for the desktop and I end up with duplicate folders.

I was surprised to find these, from way back in early spring when I was just testing out my then new Sigma 100-400 and the new to me 7RM3. I had forgotten all about them.

This is a cowbird. The sky was so bright when I shot it I couldn't see the brown head and in fact thought it was a grackle or blackbird until I processed the shot. Haven't seen one of these in years.

DSC00262 by telecast, on Flickr

I spent the better part of last year watching bluebirds come and go from this nest. When these were taken I realized that the bluebirds didn't return this year, the nest was taken over by tree swallows.

DSC00318 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00320 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00343 by telecast, on Flickr

So I guess I do see cool birds when I have my camera, at least once in a while!

Back