Birds Birds Non-BIF Thread - Post Your Shots Here

Exactly Chaitali. They're a species of honey eater. Actually a very versatile bird that blends in with all the others, they're always busy. Even their sound, I'm pretty certain they mimic the other birds around them as they do heaps of different noises.

Masked Plover. I haven't seen these patterns on their wings and head before, I bet he's popular with the plover ladies. Maybe this one is young. He was cool and just cruising around minding his own business but they usually walk around yakking and bitching, I'm surprised the other birds don't bash them... 🌞

View attachment 29194

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shot, but your commentary deserved a funny!

Masked Plover. I haven't seen these patterns on their wings and head before, I bet he's popular with the plover ladies. Maybe this one is young. He was cool and just cruising around minding his own business but they usually walk around yakking and bitching, I'm surprised the other birds don't bash them... 🌞
Lovely bird Clint. I agree. Should definitely be popular with the lady plovers :)

This rather plump male pheasant seemed quite content perched in this tree. The snow has melted away now so this might be my last snowy shot for a while. This is a shot where it would be nice if the Bird Eye AF worked better than it does in this situation, unfortunately most of the time it couldn't find the pheasant let alone its eye hidden behind these branches.

Pheasant-DSC09995-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 588.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1250

Sanderlings on the beach at El Piñet, La Marina, Costa Brava.
DSC01805.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 6/10000 sec
  • ISO 800
DSC02247.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 2/10000 sec
  • ISO 800
DSC02325.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 800
DSC02251.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 800
DSC02125.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 800

Wish we could get some more participation here. Thanks to those who continue to post.

I'm dying to get out, but we've had -0F temperatures with -22F wind chills. Sustained winds of 25-30MPH with gusts to 45-50. Nope.

Pretty sure these are called a striped honey eater. They do the runner on me non stop so I have just never been able to get into a good position to capture one, it could only be me but I'm going to assume that they just don't like all people. I was able to creep up while he had a willy wagtail annoying him so I just want to give a shout out to that willy wagtail for helping me out.

I don't mind the shrub framing so I'm relatively happy with it. Well it's a start so we'll call this a win. 🌞

View attachment 29332

Pretty sure these are called a striped honey eater. They do the runner on me non stop so I have just never been able to get into a good position to capture one, it could only be me but I'm going to assume that they just don't like all people. I was able to creep up while he had a willy wagtail annoying him so I just want to give a shout out to that willy wagtail for helping me out.

I don't mind the shrub framing so I'm relatively happy with it. Well it's a start so we'll call this a win. 🌞

View attachment 29332
I love the shrub framing, it makes for a total shot. Too many times we push hard to fill the frame with the bird and leave the environment out. This is excellent. Well done.

Lovely shot Clint! It's always nice to see their habitat in the shot as well. You could always get yourself a nice bird costume to wear :)

That's a hectic looking little bird Doug! I'd imagine these things are always on the move..! Sounds like they act identical to our wrens. Any clean shot is a huge reward! 🙉

View attachment 29568
A gorgeous lady, posing graciously.
Nice. I sat out twice today and came up empty. Nothing moving, I had a very large Bluejay stop to steal a peanut, but he was in and out so fast I never had a chance! May try here in a few minutes but light is waning fast. I am so sick of clouds, I can't stand it.

Some house finches, one nuthatch. No woodpeckers, jays, or cardinals. Had a Junco stop way out. Not even going to bother going through these until I get more on the card. There were one or two nice finch shots. Piffle.

For some reason I've only just seen this thread. Can't see for looking I guess. Anyway. Christmas Dinner Kestrel style :)
DSC05567 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 800

I'm still trying to build up the courage for a camouflage outfit... 😀
You're not the only one! A camo cap was a big step for me! :D I might invest in a ghillie suit this year, luckily the hills around me are pretty quiet. I just need to make sure I don't get shot!

Our first Kingfisher of the year. Nice light, not raining and he(she) sat there and fished.
Kennet and Avon Canal just west of Hungerford, UK
A7R03702.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1000
A7R03726.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 250

You're not the only one! A camo cap was a big step for me! :D I might invest in a ghillie suit this year, luckily the hills around me are pretty quiet. I just need to make sure I don't get shot!
Don't do it! Honestly it makes not a jot of difference unless you want to spend a day sitting in the trees blending in, then it's worth it. I always laugh when I see the Canon guys wandering around in full camo in the open fields with a big white lens :D

A huge crop on this shot, as you can probably see from the data, but it's not often you see the Short Eared Owls resting up in the Hawthorns. Taken from about 50 yards away.

DSC05654 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

The human face is very recognizable to animals. I spent many years in the woods hunting Deer, Turkey, and a lot of small game. This is no difference when it comes to staying hidden. Try one of these:

f524c34c-f1f9-41f5-a965-cd0539c01749.45f870ee3c97eae3e734c071a24e8516.jpeg

Don't do it! Honestly it makes not a jot of difference unless you want to spend a day sitting in the trees blending in, then it's worth it. I always laugh when I see the Canon guys wandering around in full camo in the open fields with a big white lens :D

Lol! I seen this a couple of months ago and he did have Canon... 😄

Back