Birds Birds Non-BIF Thread - Post Your Shots Here

Camo to hide color is useless in many cases. Deer can't really see green, orange, or red, which appear to them as shades of gray. Birds on the other hand can pretty much see all colors. While it's true there aren't many things bright white in the woods, it's more about blending in than color.

Camo is meant to break up the outline. I think camo covers on lenses are kind of silly, myself. I don't know any birds who visit B&H to check out the new gear, a camera lens doesn't really mean anything to them. Better to break up your face and head/shoulders outline, which is something they do recognize.

Crows are a different matter altogether. They can recognize a gun barrel and will take off in a hurry when they see one. Kind of creepy.

Last edited:
Hello from northern California. This is my first post. Took this photo of a Great Blue Heron a few days ago with my new A7IV. I'm in the process of upgrading my lens to an FE 200-600. I'm currently using the Sigma 150-600 Canon EF mount via an MC-11 adapter. It works decently well, but I'm looking forward to adding the 200-600!

Testing 123
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
  • 516.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2000

Don't do it! Honestly it makes not a jot of difference unless you want to spend a day sitting in the trees blending in, then it's worth it. I always laugh when I see the Canon guys wandering around in full camo in the open fields with a big white lens :D

I use camo so other people are less likely to see me; otherwise the'll walk up to ask what I'm doing/what I'm looking at and scare the animal away.

I prefer that animals see me. Once they're comfortable with my presence I can move more easily for better composition or to avoid obscuring vegetation.

I use camo so other people are less likely to see me; otherwise the'll walk up to ask what I'm doing/what I'm looking at and scare the animal away.

I prefer that animals see me. Once they're comfortable with my presence I can move more easily for better composition or to avoid obscuring vegetation.
Haha, well, that may be an advantage, though I'm always happy to help people to be honest, and then I can also judge if they are a numpty or not :)

More of the usual suspects today. The sun popped out this afternoon, so I rushed home from work just in time for it to slowly sink over the horizon. Bleah.

DSC09247 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC09226 by telecast, on Flickr

WHHAAAAAAAAaaaaatt?
DSC09211 by telecast, on Flickr

nice sparrow shot Tim😊
Little *$$holes figured out how to hang on the log and steal bark butter!

I like the last one. That House Finch definitely spotted me and was trying to sort me out!

Belted Kingfishers do fly, and they zip around pretty fast. It's rare to spot and capture a photo of one sitting quietly for more than a second or two. This little gal was taking a break on one of the posts on our pier. I happened to see her when looking out my sliding glass door and immediately wanted to grab a camera. I knew, though, that the minute I opened the sliding door, she'd hear it or sense it somehow and fly off before I'd even stepped on to my deck. So, instead, I shot her through the sliding glass door from inside the house and managed to get a few shots, this one being the best, but even at that I did a fair amount of editing to get the results I wanted. Isn't she cute?

Female Belted Kingfisher.jpeg
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice shot, or, should I say that's a nice pitcher... I grabbed this in Nice France while the wife was shopping as they do in June 1 of 3 crops this being the biggest, good call on name of shot

old school a-mount a99ii and Minolta 400 4.5 not used for a while seems to do better at high iso, its does need the lenses micro adjusting since I had to reset the camera recently
robin 2023.jpg
  • ILCA-99M2
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 8000
robin 2023 1.jpg
  • ILCA-99M2
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 8000

White faced heron.

Average image but had to post it. This bloke was acting like a bloody weirdo! After this he stood there for about five minutes looking into the sky with his tongue out. Might have been upset or something, either way I just wanted to give him a cuddle... 🥺

View attachment 30005

Back