Sony A7 III Did you consider the A7RIII?

guillo2

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Hi everyone,

I am purchasing my first full-frame camera and trying to decide between the A7III and the A7RIII. I shot mostly landscapes, portraits, and real estate, but have dabbled in sports photography with pretty good results. I’d love to hear your thoughts on your buying process, if you considered the A7RIII before purchasing your A7III, and if you're happy with your choice.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks

Last edited:
The extra pixels will help you but you will need to match them with better glass.

No not really the 7@iii was in my price point and would do everything I needed. If down the road I upgrade who know what will be around. 😊

Hi Guillo2, it depends on what glass you have at the moment and will they fit on the E mount cameras, i looked at the cameras you have mentioned and decided that the a7iii would suit my type of shooting which is mostly nature and wildlife. Hope this helps you

The extra pixels will help you but you will need to match them with better glass.

Thanks, everyone! Regarding what glass I have, I really don't have any. I'd be starting from scratch. When you say better glass, are you talking about not going with a kit lens and moving into Sigma ART level (as in price point) or do you mean the serious GM stuff? My plan is to stick to $500-1200 for a lens at the moment until I could justify paying more.

Then what size prints are you intending?

Extra pixels cost you in noise, no point in paying if you won't use them.

I use the A9 and 7R3 on birds and that often involves a high contrast range and some very variable light. The A9 is significantly more capable of this and I'm already under the pump with grab shots of flying birds.
The extra detail from the bigger sensor can impress with a top lens but it doesn't make up for a boring shot or blown out exposure.

Hi everyone,

I am purchasing my first full-frame camera and trying to decide between the A7III and the A7RIII. I shot mostly landscapes, portraits, and real estate, but have dabbled in sports photography with pretty good results. I’d love to hear your thoughts on your buying process, if you considered the A7RIII before purchasing your A7III, and if you're happy with your choice.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks
I considered upgrading to the A7rii but then realised that I would need to upgrade my laptop to handle large raw files and get better lenses and it was just not financially viable for me. I liked the idea that with more mp I would be able to crop more for wildlife but head office would never agree unless I bribed her with a Gucci handbag and that would be even more expense. So for now Im happy with the A7iii

I actually ordered an A7RIII, but decided on an A9 Instead. My reasons were that the extra MP would slow down my computer resources and my greatest concern was to have a body that had minimal rolling shutter on silent mode. I have an A7III and the rolling shutter is really difficult to control. I think that the A7III and A9 sensors are good enough for very large prints.

For me and my spaniels I was put off by the reports of the continuous focus of the A73 not being as good as the R3. I'm very happy with the R3 and have stopped reading the reviews now!

I went for the A7iii mainly because of cost and what I believed from the reviews to suggest better low light level performance. The extra pixels of the Riii might be nice if wanting to crop for detail but I'm really happy with the Aiii for now. I also got a cheap second hand NX6 recently to accompany this, which I'm also happy with for the very reasonable price these can be had for from ebay.

It's too long a story to tell here but I was originaly going to buy an A72 and Sony raised the price $500! I was really upset but got over it but then I discovered the A73. I got so much more than I had ever dreamed of when I was looking for an A72. The A73 is a very capable camera and not a huge price point. The smaller (Relatively speaking) price of the A73 allowed for more freedom to invest in better glass. My signature shows my lenses to date and I have an FE 24-105mm f/4 coming next week. After that, one more nitch to fill, well, for at least awhile.

I bought the a7iii and while its taken a while to get the results I want from it I have no regrets, and here is why I have the a99ii 42 meg of course and awesome with the 300 2.8 and crops great, so recently I was considering the a7iv or a9 , while I would have both if I could I got the a9 for the focus and it suits my needs and to be honest 24 megapixels in raw give great results with the e -mount glass I can justify and afford

It's too long a story to tell here but I was originaly going to buy an A72 and Sony raised the price $500! I was really upset but got over it but then I discovered the A73. I got so much more than I had ever dreamed of when I was looking for an A72. The A73 is a very capable camera and not a huge price point. The smaller (Relatively speaking) price of the A73 allowed for more freedom to invest in better glass. My signature shows my lenses to date and I have an FE 24-105mm f/4 coming next week. After that, one more nitch to fill, well, for at least awhile.
I just purchased the 24-105mm please let me know how you like it!

I just purchased the 24-105mm please let me know how you like it!
Barbara, I just need to get out of the house and shoot! Covid #2 received. I might be getting closer. I hope so.

Back