Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I’ve never used it.

Why would I? What am I missing?

:)

Me either, mainly because the A7 IV is subject to bad rolling shutter, and the only thing you gain (other than the aforementioned vibration) is some shutter speed. I don't count electronic shutter as not putting wear and tear on the camera, I bought it to use, so that is irrelevant to me.

Never have, I need to hear it and the Sony doesn't have a fake sound. Also Rolling Shutter is bad, unless you have a stacked sensor.

Why would you use long exposures in astrophotography shots unless you have a star/milky way tracking rig....and/or
are shooting deep space.

As a general rule without a tracking rig it invites Coma ...... exposure times are calculated subject to the lens and
angle of view and to avoid coma exposure times need to be minimal and integrated with focus stacking for wide
vistas....

Unless of course you are shooting deep space wherein you will not get away with a fixed rig ......

Why would you use long exposures in astrophotography shots unless you have a star/milky way tracking rig....and/or
are shooting deep space.

As a general rule without a tracking rig it invites Coma ...... exposure times are calculated subject to the lens and
angle of view and to avoid coma exposure times need to be minimal and integrated with focus stacking for wide
vistas....

Unless of course you are shooting deep space wherein you will not get away with a fixed rig ......
1. In the context “long” means anything long enough to be affected by vibration from the mechanical shutter

2. Yes, that’s why one uses the NPF rule to calculate maximum exposure time according to your camera’s pixel density and the lens you’re using.

3. Fixed rig is quite limiting for deep sky, but certainly not impossible. https://youtu.be/iuMZG-SyDCU

I don’t have the A7IV, but I believe it has similar rolling shutter issues to the A7RV (maybe a bit less - the 60Mp sensor takes a long time to read out!).

On the A1, the electronic shutter is superb, and I have never used mechanical - it’s fast, it’s silent, and yes, you can turn on a noise if you must! One very nice feature is that it support speeds faster than the mechanical - top is 1/32000, as opposed to 1/8000 for mechanical. Useful if shooting wide open in bright sunlight.

On the A7RV, I don’t use it.

Back