Sony A7R III Lens kit for new A7R III

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Henry Kisor

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I've had an A7R III for a month now, having come over from Pentax, and am liking it mightily.

So far I've got the Tamron 24 f2.8, the Sony 50 f1.8, and the Sigma 100-400.

To that I've added from my old stuff a Pentax 20 f4, a Tamron 90 macro, and a Pentax 300 f4.5. Those three of course need a Pentax-to-Sony adapter and work only manually. The 90 and 300 need tripods because of manual focusing fussiness.

The 20's focus can be set between infinity and six feet at f8, hence the need for manual focusing with that lens is much less.

Now I think I need a travel zoom lens for those trips where I need to carry light. Right now the Tamron 28-200 looks very good to me, but the f5.6 limit at the long end could be a drag. Advice, please?

What subject matter?

That choice has you paying twice for 100-200.

Have you considered the FE 24-105?

Indeed I have considered the FE 24-105. It is a great lens. Against the Tamron 28-200, however, I'd be paying twice the price for a little more than half the reach. I'm not a pro and have an amateur budget.

Subject matter: Travel. I need a lightweight one-lens kit for a variety of subjects from landscapes and street shots to birds, if I can get close enough to them on foot.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the Sony 24-240. I find it ticks most of the boxes if I only want to take one lens out with me.

Absolutely nothing except price. I'm on a budget. Bought the Tamron 28-200 on sale and am very happy with it.

Didn't realise you had already bought the Tamron - your original post said you were considering it. Price wise, the Sony, at present costs £669, and the Tamron £799 - £130. more. Not sure where you are based, but the difference is still quite marked, even when converted to dollars.
Enjoy your lens.

Yeah, the original post was Oct. 9 and I got the 28-200 in November. Regarding prices, the 24-240 is US$1048 and the 28-200 is US$729 at B&H in New York presently. Got the 28-200 for $679 when it went on sale in late November.

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back