New LEAKED high resolution images of the new Sony 300mm f/2.8 GM

So it looks like the old a-mount with a much shorter cheap hood with the stupid push button lock they have on the 100-400

So it looks like the old a-mount with a much shorter cheap hood with the stupid push button lock they have on the 100-400
Apparantly that is considered an improvement compared to the lens hood on the 400 and 600mm primes (source)

Apparantly that is considered an improvement compared to the lens hood on the 400 and 600mm primes (source)
I have the a-mount version and still use it on e-mount with the lea-5, I have no issue with the existing hood screw lock having had the lens 7-8 years now

I have the a-mount version and still use it on e-mount with the lea-5, I have no issue with the existing hood screw lock having had the lens 7-8 years now
I have the 100400GM and the 35GM and they have the push button lock, I have no issues with those

I have the 100400GM and the 35GM and they have the push button lock, I have no issues with those
Got the 100-400 and know lots of people how forget the button and have cracked the hood

I could see dumping my 100-400 and replacing it with the 300 f2.8, always my favorite long lens with either my Canons or Nikons. The 70-200 f2.8 GMII along with the Tc1.4, I already own and the 300 F 2.8 sounds tempting if I find the cash.

Stupid lock button, even more stupid price.

The screw lock is a far better option than the clip type.

No easy way to say this Clint half wits, they keep Sony selling lens hoods I know you like them
I'm one of those half wits as I did it with my 70-200 f2.8 lens hood.😂 Stuck it together with super glue and so far it is fine.

I'm one of those half wits as I did it with my 70-200 f2.8 lens hood.😂 Stuck it together with super glue and so far it is fine.
Iain you are not on your own mate loads of people break these , the used lens 100-400 I bought from my mates shop had a crack in it and it cost him £90.00 to replace it so a good deal for Sony I have had the screw lens hoods on the Minolta primes and Sony primes for 30 plus years, so if it aint broke do not fix it.

I'm torn on interest on this one. I had an old old Canon 300 2.8 that I enjoyed using, but my entire approach to wildlife photos is geared to the 200-600. I'm sure it will play nice with the TCs and make for an interesting system. With the Canon, I almost always had the 1.4 TC on. 420mm at f/4 + high res Sony body and the ability to crop may tempt me.

Back