Ok I am bored so a quick question has anyone ever sold anything on the for sale listings and does anyone ever look at the ads

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
As title and thoughts on the for sale section

1) No
2) Yes I have looked at all the new sale posts since I joined

1) No, but I have something listed.
2) I look once in a while, but the for-sale section here is S L O W.

If you want excitement, get a price from UPS to have my lens shipped to the UK. That ought to get your heart pumping.

We don't have the number of members to make anything a fast sale on the for sale section. I used to be active on car forums and fishing forums and we swapped gear a lot, but they were more localized than this site.

We don't have the number of members to make anything a fast sale on the for sale section. I used to be active on car forums and fishing forums and we swapped gear a lot, but they were more localized than this site.
Very true Chris, but would you buy on here if all fell into place?

I sold and bought a LOT of stuff on forums with people all over the US and Canada. It all boils down to how busy a forum is. Without traffic sales are tough.

I sold and bought a LOT of stuff on forums with people all over the US and Canada. It all boils down to how busy a forum is. Without traffic sales are tough.
Same here. I had Pentax gear for many years and purchased a lot of used lenses on the For Sale section of the Pentax Forums. I also sold a lot of my gear on there when I decided to switch to Sony. In some cases I sold lenses for pretty much what I paid for them.

Not on here,no, but I do look.
Most listings are US based so I won't be likely to buy.
I sold some Pentax stuff on their forum once.

If I wasn't looking to get the latest and greatest camera body, sure, I would definitely buy a lens or accessories from a member who has been here long enough. In my past life as a moderator, I remember we ensured that you had to have 1000 posts before you could use the for-sale section. The idea was to prevent spammers from joining just to post a sale and move on. I don't think we could do that here, but there's always hope that traffic (and membership) will pick up.

If I wasn't looking to get the latest and greatest camera body, sure, I would definitely buy a lens or accessories from a member who has been here long enough. In my past life as a moderator, I remember we ensured that you had to have 1000 posts before you could use the for-sale section. The idea was to prevent spammers from joining just to post a sale and move on. I don't think we could do that here, but there's always hope that traffic (and membership) will pick up.
fingers crossed on the membership bump Chris (y)

fingers crossed on the membership bump Chris (y)
I'd almost wish for some of Timothy's Facebook traffic to find its way here to the forum, but that can be a double-edged sword.

I'd almost wish for some of Timothy's Facebook traffic to find its way here to the forum, but that can be a double-edged sword.
Yep and even worse half of the members on here do not talk to the other half

I was just going to say something like that. I am sometimes afraid to mark like on someone’s photo because they are in the wrong camp.
I am quite sure that is the case, I am quite sure I am getting the cold shoulder at the moment from some on here, so do not worry about it

Yep and even worse half of the members on here do not talk to the other half
Well that's a little dramatic, init?

I was just going to say something like that. I am sometimes afraid to mark like on someone’s photo because they are in the wrong camp.
Why? It makes no sense to hang back because of something like that. If you like a photo you like a photo.

Wow, we must have some really bad people on here for you to feel you can't simply appreciate their photographic work. Interacting in conversation with someone here is different than appreciating their work I think. Some may not engage in certain conversations because they believe we aren't here for that, but what we definitely are here for is photography. Grudges are scary...

See what happens @spudhead, I speak my mind and get lectured at. 😂

You obviously don't understand that speaking ones mind will often result in questions about the opinion. Displaying an opinion means you leave yourself open for scrutiny, this is the way it works in the real world... ✅

I've never bought or sold here but I would be happy to transact with one of the regulars here.

I've done plenty of deals on FM and Craigslist as well.

No, I listed a lens for a week or so, there was no interest or offers, sold it elsewhere, shame because it was like new. I look some times. The only used cameras i have bought over the years have been vintage ones.
In the past I had sold camera gear on photo forums, but then things started to just sit. So to be honest it has become a lot easier just to take the hit and sell it to a store, they pay quickly and are honest in the transaction.
I have sold things on other hobby forums. on those forums some better than others. For music stuff they are some good sites. By far the best is Blade Forum for knives, if it is a wanted item it may last to the site a couple of ours and sold.

No, I listed a lens for a week or so, there was no interest or offers, sold it elsewhere, shame because it was like new. I look some times. The only used cameras i have bought over the years have been vintage ones.
In the past I had sold camera gear on photo forums, but then things started to just sit. So to be honest it has become a lot easier just to take the hit and sell it to a store, they pay quickly and are honest in the transaction.
I have sold things on other hobby forums. on those forums some better than others. For music stuff they are some good sites. By far the best is Blade Forum for knives, if it is a wanted item it may last to the site a couple of ours and sold.
"It has become a lot easier to take the hit and sell it to a store"
So. Freaking. True.
I have sold one lens back to KEH because it made it easy to trade in for another lens. Now I'm looking to trade my a6400 and kit lens in for store credit towards the a6700. I'll lose $100-200 versus of i did the legwork to sell on offerup, but the ease of the trade in transaction cannot be denied.

Wow, we must have some really bad people on here for you to feel you can't simply appreciate their photographic work. Interacting in conversation with someone here is different than appreciating their work I think. Some may not engage in certain conversations because they believe we aren't here for that, but what we definitely are here for is photography. Grudges are scary...
Grudges are scary, but there's no question there is an element of it here, there is in any forum and it's worse on Facebook groups. There's a group I'm on that I no longer post on because unless your name is Lynn nobody looks, likes or comments on your photos , even though they are every bit as good or better.
As they say in the north here

"There's nowt so strange as folk"

Grudges are scary, but there's no question there is an element of it here, there is in any forum and it's worse on Facebook groups. There's a group I'm on that I no longer post on because unless your name is Lynn nobody looks, likes or comments on your photos , even though they are every bit as good or better.
As they say in the north here

"There's nowt so strange as folk"
Change your username to Lynn!

The marketplace is pretty quiet here unfortunately. However you do need to be a paying "Site Supporter" in order to post anything in the marketplace forums. I went for this approach to try and keep the scammers at bay. If I open it up to free members there's a much larger risk of scammers posting, although I would hope most here would not consider buying or selling to a new untrusted member. I've also though about charging a smaller amount such as $5 that just allows people to post in the marketplace, this might encourage more postings and still help to keep the scammers out. I've also considered doing a weekly summary post of items for sale and posting this into some of the Facebook Groups that I run. Although persuading anyone from Facebook to join up to a forum is hard work!

New in Marketplace

Back