Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This is one thing I do understand in a way but then again it is one I don't fully understand.
I know we all have our own taste and this is where this is baffles me a little.
I know I have as I have thought posted a few shots with a shot I think is just so good.
You post it and the shot you like hardly gets a look at yet a shot you thought very little of get the attention.

And, as said I know this comes down to our own personal liking and not yours.
But this is what makes this hobby just so much better as you just never really know what shot will become the center of attention.
Many times I have got it wrong with a few right, but if we all liked the same thing what a boring world we would be living in.

I think that is]t is good to post a shot and think to yourself this one will get everyone attention and in the wash it turned out to be the one
you posted with it. What a great hobby we are into I think.

This is one thing I do understand in a way but then again it is one I don't fully understand.
I know we all have our own taste and this is where this is baffles me a little.
I know I have as I have thought posted a few shots with a shot I think is just so good.
You post it and the shot you like hardly gets a look at yet a shot you thought very little of get the attention.

And, as said I know this comes down to our own personal liking and not yours.
But this is what makes this hobby just so much better as you just never really know what shot will become the center of attention.
Many times I have got it wrong with a few right, but if we all liked the same thing what a boring world we would be living in.

I think that is]t is good to post a shot and think to yourself this one will get everyone attention and in the wash it turned out to be the one
you posted with it. What a great hobby we are into I think.
Trust me, this is something I posted about before. It happens a lot. I can see shots on forums and facebook pages that are terrible and get loads of likes, and others that are spectacular that get none, and no comments. I genuinely thionk it's part jealousy and part "yes, we know you're good". I see some stunning shots on some of the Sony pages, but if a person is using an A1 and a 600 f4, they should be if they have talent or photographic skills and knowledge to use the equipment well. I won't comment on those too often, but will always put a heart. It's not about the subject matter really either.
My biggest issue is that in congratulating poor shots you aren't helping that person improve in the slightest!

Trust me, this is something I posted about before. It happens a lot. I can see shots on forums and facebook pages that are terrible and get loads of likes, and others that are spectacular that get none, and no comments. I genuinely thionk it's part jealousy and part "yes, we know you're good". I see some stunning shots on some of the Sony pages, but if a person is using an A1 and a 600 f4, they should be if they have talent or photographic skills and knowledge to use the equipment well. I won't comment on those too often, but will always put a heart. It's not about the subject matter really either.
My biggest issue is that in congratulating poor shots you aren't helping that person improve in the slightest!
We had that sort of thing happen on the local bird club page. I just ignored those ones and went to good one (well in my eyes that is).
But then these ones were asking if this shot or that one of theirs would look good blown up. This is down to them giving credit where it isn't due. But I do know they enjoy getting out but in the year or so since they have joined their images have not got better and this is because they keep getting pats and the back.
So on what you have said I have seen it so many times on the local page and a few other places but nothing to the likes of the local, which brings me to the fact that I agree with you.

I find the average person is really wowed by images that are ridiculously saturated...
At what we call one of our local shows but nothing like the Sydney or Melbourne Shows but this is still to old fashion one.
They have a photo competition and there is a local fella who enters all shows that we have here in our area.
But the thing is every photo he post is photoshopped to the make them have false sky colours and things like this.
Yes I could enter but this is not what I am doing this for.
But it gets up my nose that he wins award after award of over worked images.
The kicker is now he is making his wages from photography and therefore has got a name behind him here and it leaves little to no ground for the weekends photographer to win overall.
So as I might have said before I agree with you on this, but he gets away with it.

This happens to me all the time on my Instagram: the images that I post almost as an afterthought or that I capture without thinking too much, are the ones that get most attention, while those that I'm really proud pass unattended.

I guess you can't be the best judge of your own pictures. And also, the general public will usually favor the most common (and thus unoriginal) characteristics of a picture, disregarding anything too artistic. It's not always easy to balance your own taste with something that people will appreciate. But maybe that's what keeps the genre interesting, like you mentioned.

Much depends on the audience. Photographer? Birder? General public? Each will have their own criteria for a 'good' photo, for example a birder is more interested in a rare species than in composition, tonal range or image quality; the general public looks for the 'wow' factor i.e., action, bright colors and sunset backgrounds, while the photographer is more interested in lighting, composition, and image quality.

On one birding facebook group is someone who consistently posts over-processed photos with terrible tonal range (they look like light gray on dark gray) lacking in any detail but they show an active bird, and he consistently gets a lot of positive reactions. Comment in any way about the poor quality of the photo or a clarification on the bird's identity and you can expect a private nastygram. There's an 'ignore' feature for that.

All venues have their bias in what the people believe is a great image, for example if one post an ok image of a child it will get far more likes on social media than an amazing street image, with bird images if it is a sharp and well exposed but a dull image of a bird in flight it gets far more interest than an amazing image of a seascape,etc. We tend to like what we like, I cannot even begin to tell how many times in my career where the client used the lesser image of the edit in my opinion.

Hey Ralph, I agree with you and would you be surprised if I said it affects me so much that I don't post the majority of photos I take? I agonize over the photos I edit and often I don't feel like they're "good enough". I know its a silly confidence thing, but (especially on social media) a rushed cellphone picture often gets as much or more attention than a properly edited photo... so I find myself increasingly holding back from posting photos on facebook or instagram. I even signed up for Vero, but have yet to post a single photo there.

On the other hand, completely blowing someone off who needs to improve doesn't help either. When I like a photo, I try to consider that photographer's abilities. One person's great shot may end up in another person's bin. In many cases all that person needs are more time and experience. I can name several people on this forum alone who've improved since they signed up. If someone posts an image they believe is worth viewing and they never get a response, they'll become frustrated and stop. Part of a forum like this is ability development, or you end up with people feeling like Chris in the post quoted below.

Hey Ralph, I agree with you and would you be surprised if I said it affects me so much that I don't post the majority of photos I take? I agonize over the photos I edit and often I don't feel like they're "good enough". I know its a silly confidence thing, but (especially on social media) a rushed cellphone picture often gets as much or more attention than a properly edited photo... so I find myself increasingly holding back from posting photos on facebook or instagram. I even signed up for Vero, but have yet to post a single photo there.
Chris, never feel that way. Post away. As for:
a rushed cellphone picture often gets as much or more attention than a properly edited photo

It's like Landshark says, a great photo of a less than popular subject won't get the same attention as a crappy photo of something people like.

It's pretty upsetting to hear that you feel this way Chrisso, because I know that I vouch for many here when I say that I've always enjoyed images that you've posted.

Our photos are never good enough mate, yours, mine, even legendary Kev, Geff Burke, Steve Dawes, but that's the most beautiful part about it.

Please brother, never hold back on it around here, show us your 'crappy' photos and we'll show you ours... 🙂

Chris I know what you mean to the fact that on one page I have done the same thing. I done a test with this page as there was a photo and a poor one in my eyes and it got so much attention and I decided to post what I thought to be a far better shot of the exact same thing. It was hardly looked at. So in this situation I think it did come down the fact that I am not overly liked there due to my honesty and that goes down like a rock in a swimming pool. And it then comes down to like you have said are my images as good or is it me just thinking this. My wife has told me for a very long time on this particular page that it is down to jealousy and I have a feeling she is right, as I have posted the same photo to a few other pages and it has been treated the way I thought it should be.
So if you like your shot post it. If a shot brings a smile to your face and or if you look at it and say to yourself this is a bloody good shot post it. If people don't give you the credit for it they it as I think comes down to the face that people look at the shot and wonder just how you got it so good and they are jealous of your skill sets. Good post mate, as this one struck me like a brick in the face.

I took this sunflower image in 2014 when I was at the start of my move from hobbiest to eventual pro. I knew little to nothing of a camera, dof, composition, etc. I keep this image to remind me how far I've come, and how far I still have to go. People/friends/family oohed and ahhhed over this image. It boosted my confidence and made me want to keep going. If anyone criticized the image, it was minimal and I honestly don't remember it. Now, I look at it and simply cringe, and laugh a little too.

For me, it's my reminder to remain humble, provide support when asked, admit I'm still learning, and the confidence to keep getting better.

Last summer, I captured the 2nd image. It's one of my favorites, due to the subject, and the background is an actual sunflower I've since learned to grow in my backyard to create my own images.

Social media is a crazy thing. Some images get massive views/likes, ( I think my best so far is around 6500 on an image from Yosemite on my Flickr.) I agree w others, sometimes it's jealousy, competition, etc. I sent a FB friend request to one photographer in my town, we shoot similar stuff. He blocked me! I'll be 60 yrs old this Fall. I don't have time for pettiness. If I like an image, you'll know it. If I don't, you'll never hear a word from me. It's that simple.

Attachments

• Fz3aBXHaIAAMISL.jpeg
    Fz3aBXHaIAAMISL.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Sunflower Bee flight-.jpg
    Sunflower Bee flight-.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 34
I took this sunflower image in 2014 when I was at the start of my move from hobbiest to eventual pro. I knew little to nothing of a camera, dof, composition, etc. I keep this image to remind me how far I've come, and how far I still have to go. People/friends/family oohed and ahhhed over this image. It boosted my confidence and made me want to keep going. If anyone criticized the image, it was minimal and I honestly don't remember it. Now, I look at it and simply cringe, and laugh a little too.

For me, it's my reminder to remain humble, provide support when asked, admit I'm still learning, and the confidence to keep getting better.

Last summer, I captured the 2nd image. It's one of my favorites, due to the subject, and the background is an actual sunflower I've since learned to grow in my backyard to create my own images.

Social media is a crazy thing. Some images get massive views/likes, ( I think my best so far is around 6500 on an image from Yosemite on my Flickr.) I agree w others, sometimes it's jealousy, competition, etc. I sent a FB friend request to one photographer in my town, we shoot similar stuff. He blocked me! I'll be 60 yrs old this Fall. I don't have time for pettiness. If I like an image, you'll know it. If I don't, you'll never hear a word from me. It's that simple.
I agree with what you have said about your images and I can see that the 1st is okay but the 2nd in my mind is far better.
As for the local who is doing the same as yo might had thought you want to get in tight with him to get a few jobs out of it. Now this is me and my imagination and trying to look for a good out. But if he haas done it over petty reasons you are better off not knowing about the fool.

Back