Following
Name
MarkW
Country
United States
City/State
Ellicott City
Hi All,

I am an experienced shooter, but not with portraits. I have to do engagement pictures and curious what people use for lighting. I will be shooting outside, and have a Sony flash with an RF remote, and also an LED cube. I am planning on using these as potential fill flash, and add lighting to emphasize their facial features. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi All,

....but not with portraits. I have to do engagement pictures..... Any suggestions would be appreciated.
What cam are you using?

..... I have to do engagement pictures and curious what people use for lighting. ... Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm not a portrait expert, but sounds like you have good gear if you also have a good fast bokeh lens. I often use sony's F43m flash for fill, works great. I personally boned up on shoot angles, lighting angles, model poses, etc. to master getting the 3D effect on models. Also try viewing portrait shooters on YouTube and glean info from seasoned portrait shooters on forums.

I didn't see any replies so thought I'd chime in with few amateur comments. Learn port basics and practice, and let Riv do its magic. Good luck.

Youtube...check out videos on lighting, especifically broad and short lighting (best place to start) and go from there

Do you plan on using the flash off-camera with a modifier or on-camera bounced off a reflector or wall? I agree with the suggestion to watch portrait photographers on YouTube, you may reinforce what you already know, you may learn something new. Vanessa Joy has a few current videos on fill flash and bounce.

The only thing I can offer is to scout the location and see what you can use in the environment. A wide white wall works wonders. (Yes, I did that on purpose.)

Do you plan on using the flash off-camera with a modifier or on-camera bounced off a reflector or wall? I agree with the suggestion to watch portrait photographers on YouTube, you may reinforce what you already know, you may learn something new. Vanessa Joy has a few current videos on fill flash and bounce.

The only thing I can offer is to scout the location and see what you can use in the environment. A wide white wall works wonders. (Yes, I did that on purpose.)
Thanks all for the guidance. I actually completed the shoots and they turned out really well. I used off camera flash with a Gary Fong diffuser, and a Sony 85mm f1.8 lens. Good excuse to buy another lens :).

Back