Sony camera roadmap: First a PTZ E-mount camera, then the compact Cine E-mount and then the ZV and A7rIV

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Two solid sources told me to expect the following cameras to be announced within the next 2-3 months:

• First Sony will announce a new PTZ E-mount camera
  • It will be followed shortly after by a new compact, affordable Cine E-mount camera (announcement late September)
  • And then we will finally get the ZV APS-C camera and the A7rIV. Not clear if both cameras will be announced at the same time or at two different events. But there is definitely a product announcement scheduled for early October.

Disappointed that the only mention of a new APS-C camera is the ZV. Besides the A7R-V, they are clearly directing their efforts to the Cine-Vlogger crowd.

the a7riv will be interesting the only one i am vaguely interested in ,if it gets a resoloution jump wonder by how much or still stick with 61mp

the a7riv will be interesting the only one i am vaguely interested in ,if it gets a resoloution jump wonder by how much or still stick with 61mp
The problems inherent in little teeny-tiny pixels are well known. Some folks even have issues with the R-IV. I wouldn't touch one until we see how well Sony's programmers have resolved that issue. The A1 has more than enough resolution for any purpose. I keep hoping they'll announce a 45MP A9III. Features and speed of the A9 with reasonable resolution.

As an aside, the resolution of Panasonic's GH6 @ 25MP is equal to a 100MP FF sensor. I haven't heard how it's doing so far, so that may be a good barometer.

I'm wondering what this "PTZ" camera is. I get that it's a video camera, and they are talking about robots, but the teaser video didn't play.

Guess we find out next week. Doubt it will interest me, but I'm curious.

Well, you are lucky - the A7RIV was announced in 2019, so you don't have to wait to find out what it offers. You can even get it with a better rear LCD, too!

The A7RV, on the other hand, is rumoured to be a way off yet, with two other announcements ahead of it. Still a wait before we learn what excitements it will include.

The problems inherent in little teeny-tiny pixels are well known. Some folks even have issues with the R-IV. I wouldn't touch one until we see how well Sony's programmers have resolved that issue. The A1 has more than enough resolution for any purpose. I keep hoping they'll announce a 45MP A9III. Features and speed of the A9 with reasonable resolution.

As an aside, the resolution of Panasonic's GH6 @ 25MP is equal to a 100MP FF sensor. I haven't heard how it's doing so far, so that may be a good barometer.

Might the GH6 be using tech like the A7SIII, with 4 photo sites underneath each colour filter? (The A7SIII is, as I understand it, a 48Mpixel sensor which uses 4 sensels per output pixel)

If SAR is right (and they can be famously wrong), then it looks like any A9III announcement will be next year.

I've been wondering if the A9III might stay at 24Mpixel, but with really clean higher ISOs - I can imagine quite a few photo-journalists and sports photographers would love a new A9 that could produce noiseless images at something like ISO 64000.

Might the GH6 be using tech like the A7SIII, with 4 photo sites underneath each colour filter? (The A7SIII is, as I understand it, a 48Mpixel sensor which uses 4 sensels per output pixel)

If SAR is right (and they can be famously wrong), then it looks like any A9III announcement will be next year.

I've been wondering if the A9III might stay at 24Mpixel, but with really clean higher ISOs - I can imagine quite a few photo-journalists and sports photographers would love a new A9 that could produce noiseless images at something like ISO 64000.
I think the OM-1 uses the quad-pixel technology but I don't the gH6 does. Could be wrong about that, but I recall when they came out the OM had the fanfare for the sensor. Easy enough to look up I reckon.

I think the OM-1 uses the quad-pixel technology but I don't the gH6 does. Could be wrong about that, but I recall when they came out the OM had the fanfare for the sensor. Easy enough to look up I reckon.
I searched on GH6 and quad pixel, and the only hits I got were the ones comparing the GH6 with the OM-1, and explaining that the GH6 did not have the quad pixel phase detect AF that the OM-1 does have.

In that case, is the GH6 using pixel-shift to generate 4x resolution, perhaps? That’s the only other explanation I can come up with.

I searched on GH6 and quad pixel, and the only hits I got were the ones comparing the GH6 with the OM-1, and explaining that the GH6 did not have the quad pixel phase detect AF that the OM-1 does have.

In that case, is the GH6 using pixel-shift to generate 4x resolution, perhaps? That’s the only other explanation I can come up with.
This is all I could find, nothing about the GH6 though. I don't think Panasonic has the contract agreement with Sony semiconductor to purchase PDAF sensors yet.

Last edited:

Not referring to resolution as the number of pixels, but the ability of the sensor to resolve detail. Smaller pixels provide higher resolution because they can better discern contrast in an image from pixel to pixel than a sensor with larger pixels, but also present other problems such as lower light gathering, DR, etc.

On a full frame sensor, a 50mp sensor has higher resolution than a 40mp sensor because there are more and smaller pixels. That's an easy comparison because the sensors are the same size. But a micro four-thirds sensor is 25% the size of a full frame sensor, so it only needs 25% of the pixels as any given full frame sensor for an equal ability to resolve detail. A 25mp M-4/3 sensor has about the same pixel pitch as a 100mp full frame sensor. There was initial speculation that the GH6 would use Sony's 100mp sensor chopped down to size. I'm pretty sure my G9 had a Sony sensor, not sure about this new one.

Disappointed that the only mention of a new APS-C camera is the ZV. Besides the A7R-V, they are clearly directing their efforts to the Cine-Vlogger crowd.
Same disappointment here. I have actually shifted my focus from video back to still photography over the last 2 years and would enjoy a step up from my a6400 that is capable in both use cases... I guess I'll keep waiting.

Well, we found out that PTZ stands for Pan Tilt Zoom, and probably “Photographers Targeted: Zero”

The new camera is basically an FX6 (not FX3) box in a special remote control servo gimbal, intended for shooting exciting action scenes in 4k video.

It looks kinda cool, and exactly like the kind of camera you need 3 years experience and a membership of the guild of directors of photography to operate :cool:

Anyone here planning to get a couple of them?

Well, we found out that PTZ stands for Pan Tilt Zoom, and probably “Photographers Targeted: Zero”
:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, is anyone here jazzed about it? nah.
The talk of an APSC cine camera (FX30?) is more interesting, but again, who asked for that? is it meant to be the upgrade path from the ZV1 -> ZVE10 -> FX30 ?

:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, is anyone here jazzed about it? nah.
The talk of an APSC cine camera (FX30?) is more interesting, but again, who asked for that? is it meant to be the upgrade path from the ZV1 -> ZVE10 -> FX30 ?
Unfortunately, with the ILC market shrinking faster every year companies have to put their money into what's selling, which is video. Even Samyang's new releases are cine-oriented, including 'Gimbal Optimized'. :unsure:

Panasonic realized this a while ago, everything they're releasing is video-centric. Fanboys are still waiting for the next G9, I am sticking with my prediction of never. I still believe they're in the process of shutting down their consumer camera division, and each successive release will further blur the lines between pro and consumer video. The GH6 has already achieved much of that, it's a video beast.

My nephew does video and editing for a major Detroit news station. They're now using A7R-IVs as backups/second cameras on shoots, so like it or not, video is the trend.

So true Tim. Maybe I should just get an A7IV because that is the kind of "all-in-one" solution I yearn for. Still lets see where Sony goes with their next few camera announcements.

Interesting sales info. Sony is back atop in Japan again. Panasonic is struggling. I just heard there is or will be a sale on the GH6, no one is buying them. It may be another nail in the Panasonic consumer market.

Other than Canon and Sony there isn't much to be happy about. Nikon and Fuji look abysmal. You can see the spike when OM released the OM-1, then it's dropped off steadily. Panasonic never had one for the GH6 release. Sony should show one for the A7-IV release, but they stopped production on so many other cameras at the same time it was a net loss. I'd have to check, but would be willing to guess the upswing in their sales coincides with the announcement to resume manufacturing of those models.

This is Japan only, no idea how it translates to the rest of the world.

Screen-Shot-2022-08-22-at-09.01.jpg

So true Tim. Maybe I should just get an A7IV because that is the kind of "all-in-one" solution I yearn for. Still lets see where Sony goes with their next few camera announcements.
If the A7R-V has the same focusing as the A1/A7-IV (and there's no reason to assume it won't) it will be a beast. I am going to assume though that they'll want to remain king of the MP race and it's going to end up 80 or 100MP. We already know these pixel pitches are out there due to the 20 and 25MP M-4/3 sensors.

I am still of the hope they release an A-9III with a reasonable sensor, something south of 50, but more than the A7-IV.

Lookit me, I used to hate the thought of more than 30MP!

I actually hope the A9 III stays around 24Mp, but screamingly fast.

I also hope the A7RV pundits who are saying 60Mp are wrong - I’d like to see 80 or even 100 :)

I actually hope the A9 III stays around 24Mp, but screamingly fast.

I also hope the A7RV pundits who are saying 60Mp are wrong - I’d like to see 80 or even 100 :)
That's the most likely, especially with the lean toward video for low light. I could see them keeping the 9II in the catalog though and adding the 9III, look at how many cameras they still make in the 7 series. Of course the camera I'm describing is pretty much the A1 as it already is!

I wonder if they'll ever produce another S anything. With sensors getting better and computational photography seemingly the new standard, couldn't they just abandon that iteration and put more video features in the new higher MP releases?

Who do we think it is? (I guess we think Sony?)
Yeah, I postulated in a post above. I think the G9 was a Sony, but wasn't sure about this new camera.

Yeah, I postulated in a post above. I think the G9 was a Sony, but wasn't sure about this new camera.
Yeah, I followed the link and read the somewhat rambling suggestions as to the possible source - not familiar with most of the companies named :)

Back