Sony FE 100-400mm review by Opticallimits: “it isn’t as superlative as the high price tag and the GM label may suggest”

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Ouch. Then again, it was obvious to me when I was deciding between it and the Sigma.

The Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS is interesting for users who prefer a more compact size, lower weight and higher versatility compared to the current breed of 500mm/600mm zoom lenses. However, it isn’t as superlative as the high price tag and the GM label may suggest.

Yes the 100-400 isn't up to the performance capability of more recent GM lens but it is 6 years old. The reviewer does fail to mention when comparing to the 200-600 that it is both faster and sharper (especially when used with a A7Riv or v). Not sure why the also when they do mention the Sigma that the Sigma is limited to 15fps being a 3rd party lens.

I only noticed this for the 100-400 when I got the 70-200 II, which is remarkable.

Yes the 100-400 isn't up to the performance capability of more recent GM lens but it is 6 years old. The reviewer does fail to mention when comparing to the 200-600 that it is both faster and sharper (especially when used with a A7Riv or v). Not sure why the also when they do mention the Sigma that the Sigma is limited to 15fps being a 3rd party lens.
The Sigma is also smaller, lighter, and cost almost 2/3 less. Is the Sony worth $1600 more? Not on a bet. 15FPS is irrelevant to many people.

The 100-400 is 2/3 stop faster at the short end, and 1/3 stop faster at the long. However, they're virtually identical at 400mm.

15FPS is irrelevant to many people.
That doesn't matter. The comparison is being made and that is a feature difference that could be considered important for the reader regardless of the reviews feelings about fps.

For this particular review I would say that the 15fps limitation is significant. The 100-400GM and A9 were announced at the same time and it was the first lens they mentioned would be able to handle the 20fps shooting speed of the A9.

That doesn't matter. The comparison is being made and that is a feature difference that could be considered important for the reader regardless of the reviews feelings about fps.

For this particular review I would say that the 15fps limitation is significant. The 100-400GM and A9 were announced at the same time and it was the first lens they mentioned would be able to handle the 20fps shooting speed of the A9.
It does matter, the same way size, weight, speed, and everything else matters. Some matter to one, some to another. As you say, "could be considered important".

Carrying one on a strap for 14 hours a day, size and weight meant far more to me than a few frames per second, or some marginal IQ difference, or the negligible 1/3 stop difference in speed.

If this was a sealed internal zoom lens like the 200-600, I'd be all over it. It's not, and the slight differences aren't worth $1600.

Last edited:
A bit late for a poor review :D

A bit late for a poor review :D
Sony is probably getting ready to release the GM II version, and have paid Optical Limits to cast doubt into the minds of their customer base. They need to prep people for the newer/better/$3500 version.

Sony's greatest asset is fanboys.

So Sony is dumb?!

So Sony is dumb?!
Well it does do this. Given the short min focus distance a hood would probably just block all the light.
AC3555ADB322F95D0E64C364ABAB23574D77618F_7172ABC290101E7AF024BA95BA68EA98FMTJPEGSCL1_feature.jpg

I think the wide power zoom kit lens that came with the A6000 was hoodless as well.

HA!

Honestly, you're not helping me screw with Clint. Quit being so factual. Repeat after me: NO Sony lens comes without a hood.

Sony is probably getting ready to release the GM II version, and have paid Optical Limits to cast doubt into the minds of their customer base. They need to prep people for the newer/better/$3500 version.

Sony's greatest asset is fanboys.
Very true. I've not seen many bad images from one though.

Very true. I've not seen many bad images from one though.
Of course not. But then, what would be the point of releasing a new one if they can't convince you to spend your hard-earned money on minutia?

HA!

Honestly, you're not helping me screw with Clint. Quit being so factual. Repeat after me: NO Sony lens comes without a hood.

NO Sony lens worth putting much effort into protecting comes without a hood.

I was shocked when there was no hood in the box but I guess since it was just a 50mm with no G or GM and I got it for under 500 new.

I'm not sure the fanboys need any more convincing than putting the word new or mk II, III etc

It was on my list of must haves until I decided to hold true to prime lenses for the extra aperture, which is often useful. I’d like to see a 300 prime added to the list though not in the professional price range, with hood.

It was on my list of must haves until I decided to hold true to prime lenses for the extra aperture, which is often useful. I’d like to see a 300 prime added to the list though not in the professional price range, with hood.
Gaz, you have a plethora of lenses available in A-mount. Your camera plays very well with the LA-EA5, which is Sony's most advanced, smallest, and lightest adapter.

Here's a 300/2.8 on ebay for $1k.

Ask @spudhead for recommendations.

Gaz, you have a plethora of lenses available in A-mount. Your camera plays very well with the LA-EA5, which is Sony's most advanced, smallest, and lightest adapter.

Here's a 300/2.8 on ebay for $1k.

Ask @spudhead for recommendations.

I’ll check that out, but I’ve not seen any here.

I’ll check that out, but I’ve not seen any here.
Go to eBay and check the listings direct from Japanese camera stores. I bought my 80-200/2.8 APO HS G from one, paid $435 or so shipped. Excellent lens.

Go to eBay and check the listings direct from Japanese camera stores. I bought my 80-200/2.8 APO HS G from one, paid $435 or so shipped. Excellent lens.
I’ve had no luck buying off shore. I bought something that arrived “not as described “ but the return freight cost was a total rip off, out by hundreds of dollars so I didn’t return it at my expense…., and thus PayPal would not refund the cost of goods. I’ve closed my PayPal account and once bitten twice shy so far as “importing “ goes. I’ll do a trip to Japan one day soon.

I’ve had no luck buying off shore. I bought something that arrived “not as described “ but the return freight cost was a total rip off, out by hundreds of dollars so I didn’t return it at my expense…., and thus PayPal would not refund the cost of goods. I’ve closed my PayPal account and once bitten twice shy so far as “importing “ goes. I’ll do a trip to Japan one day soon.
Add a few days in Korea to your itinerary first and head for the subways. Take a few million with you, you won't be disappointed.

I spent a few hours touring major camera stores in Japan last year. I picked up a coleman over shoulder bag for around twenty quid, apart from that, I didn't spot anything I couldn't buy cheaper at home or by importing via e infinity.

Back