Who else is chomping at the bit to learn what Sony's mystery camera will be?

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Whether you plan to buy or not, you must be intrigued at the very least. I am hoping it's something I want in order to stop this money from burning a hole in my pocket, but I am prepared to be disappointed. Still, anyone with even a modicum of curiosity should have their interest piqued?

Always interested, even when I'm not in the market to buy.

Dang Chris! Gary has thrown down the gauntlet! Tell your wife you're buying the damned camera, now go make me a sandwich!

I'll bet that works! Try it! No...really!

Dang Chris! Gary has thrown down the gauntlet! Tell your wife you're buying the damned camera, now go make me a sandwich!

I'll bet that works! Try it! No...really!
Listen to uncle Tim Chris, scratch that itch mate :)

Mystery camera - the last one was that blogger thing, so I don't expect much TBH.

Mystery camera - the last one was that blogger thing, so I don't expect much TBH.
Promised as Full Frame High Resolution, not an upgrade to any current line. Pay attention willya'? We can't keep you up to speed indefinitely.

Buying? Unlikely. Curious? Absolutely!

Kind of curious, guessing it will be a 100MP camera of some kind. Not something that I'm interested in. Just got an A1, so I'm not even really waiting for the A9III specs anymore. Now I'll sit back, relax and shoot images until the A1II is out and has all the kinks worked through :)

Only tangentially interested. I am, decidedly, NOT an early adopter, so even if it is something I’m interested in (i.e. high resolution, FF, with its features geared towards stills capture) it would be after the first bug correcting FW update before I’d spring for the purchase.

So, here's where I'm at with my prognostications.

Option 1: A full frame (as rumored by SAR) 'high' MP (something in the 40-45 range), fast camera to compete with the Nikon Z8 and Canon R5. Both of these cameras are at a price point that Sony has no answer to, other than the RV which is designed for a different purpose. It will be stripped of most video features and some niceties, like the RV screen. It may have a plastic frame. Sony will not skimp on their AF though, and it will have the AI chip. It will not be as fast as the A9 series or as high MP and feature rich as the A1. This preserves both the 1 and 9 camera lines at much higher prices.

Option 2: A high MP (35-40 or so) APS-C (SAR is wrong) with a lot of features. Classic full-sized body, a mini-A1 of sorts. All the features of the A6700 and them some. This will compete with the Fuji and Canon R7 lines.

Option 3: A Medium format 100MP camera (SAR is wrong again). The problems with this theory is it would 0require a new line of lenses, or adapters that let it use Pentax or Fuji at least to get started, and that medium format sells worse than any other format.

All 3 of these options are in keeping with the Sony's assertion that this is a new line of cameras, not an upgrade to an existing line. A8 or A2, A7000, and AM1? :unsure:

Post your guesses...not wants, just guesses.

Option 1: A full frame (as rumored by SAR) 'high' MP (something in the 40-45 range), fast camera to compete with the Nikon Z8 and Canon R5. Both of these cameras are at a price point that Sony has no answer to, other than the RV which is designed for a different purpose. It will be stripped of most video features and some niceties, like the RV screen. It may have a plastic frame. Sony will not skimp on their AF though, and it will have the AI chip. It will not be as fast as the A9 series or as high MP and feature rich as the A1. This preserves both the 1 and 9 camera lines at much higher prices.

Option 2: A high MP (35-40 or so) APS-C (SAR is wrong) with a lot of features. Classic full-sized body, a mini-A1 of sorts. All the features of the A6700 and them some. This will compete with the Fuji and Canon R7 lines.

Option 3: A Medium format 100MP camera (SAR is wrong again). The problems with this theory is it would 0require a new line of lenses, or adapters that let it use Pentax or Fuji at least to get started, and that medium format sells worse than any other format.

All 3 of these options are in keeping with the Sony's assertion that this is a new line of cameras, not an upgrade to an existing line. A8 or A2, A7000, and AM1? :unsure:

My guess would be Option 1 that you have listed here. In case it will be something else my guess would be a fixed lens camera to compete with the Leica Q3.

I would like it to be Option 1 or Option 2 though.

Another (wild) guess, as it would concern a new line... What would the changes be of a new sensor format? For example a size in between full frame and APS-C, so you would have a 1.25x crop factor. All the full frame lenses would work on this and also some of the wide angle APS-C (I think).

My guess would be Option 1 that you have listed here. In case it will be something else my guess would be a fixed lens camera to compete with the Leica Q3.

I would like it to be Option 1 or Option 2 though.

Another (wild) guess, as it would concern a new line... What would the changes be of a new sensor format? For example a size in between full frame and APS-C, so you would have a 1.25x crop factor. All the full frame lenses would work on this and also some of the wide angle APS-C (I think).
Crap...what if it's M-4/3? :eek: :ROFLMAO:

I think your option 1 has the highest chance of coming true. Option 3 is out if Sony want to focus on volume sales.

Option 2 is intriguing Because they wouldn't admit the a6700 was their "flagship" APSC in one snippet I read online. Plus, they would be attacking an established market segment like option 1 and unlike option 3.

I think your option 1 has the highest chance of coming true. Option 3 is out if Sony want to focus on volume sales.

Option 2 is intriguing Because they wouldn't admit the a6700 was their "flagship" APSC in one snippet I read online. Plus, they would be attacking an established market segment like option 1 and unlike option 3.
Good point re: Flagship. That probably negates option 2.

Sony m4/3? When they can't nail stabilization on their APSC or "vlogging" camera bodies? Yeah, hard pass.
On the other hand the lack of improved IBIS on the A6700 may point to a 'better' one coming. Honestly, this is camera building 101. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. Sony has a history of crippling their lower priced cameras with technology they already have in other cameras in order to preserve certain lines. That, their pricing structure, and their worst-in-the-business firmware policies are the biggest causes of heartburn among customers. If it weren't for their AF and lens ecosystem, I could see myself leaving Sony.

it looks like it could be an A7Cr is coming, this could make me think of selling mr RX1rII

it looks like it could be an A7Cr is coming, this could make me think of selling mr RX1rII

Bizarre curved-sensor time? I cannot conceive what the lenses for that would look like, but it would be a new experience.

I'd still love to see a square sensor, never rotate for portraits again! (y)

Bizarre curved-sensor time? I cannot conceive what the lenses for that would look like, but it would be a new experience.

I'd assume that a curved sensor would be mated to a fixed lens MF camera for best results. :)

I think that Sony have just proved that there is nothing to get excited about.... ever again.

I WAS interested.

All the talk of super-high res and a new camera line - such a beat-up. Putting known sensors into a body that probably means low res EVF and rear screen - not interesting…

Always possibly the report is wrong, but it is disappointing enough to be right :cry:o_O

I hope the A9 III is more interesting

The only square format I know of is 6cm x 6cm film. I think the sensor would have to be something like 56mm square. I’d be keen to see that, although it would mean new lenses, and bigger/heavier bodies (and lenses). Yes, I’d be interested. Probably would not buy one, though.

Back