A6700 to be announced July 12

Chris starts searching couches for spare change, checks on hoarded giftcards, and carefully contemplates how to approach manager of finance (wife) for this upcoming expense...

"upcoming expense" sounds pretty definite!

"upcoming expense" sounds pretty definite!
I fully admit Tim, I'm a novice photographer, and I know that a new camera won't magically make me a better photographer either, but I do feel like two things in particular will help me get better pictures: IBIS for the low light stuff, and AI autofocus (or really any autofocus improvements). Plus all the minor improvements like the fully articulated screen, front dial, and bigger grip will add up to useful improvements in ergonomics.

Is it just rampant G.A.S.? Perhaps! :ROFLMAO:

I fully admit Tim, I'm a novice photographer, and I know that a new camera won't magically make me a better photographer either, but I do feel like two things in particular will help me get better pictures: IBIS for the low light stuff, and AI autofocus (or really any autofocus improvements). Plus all the minor improvements like the fully articulated screen, front dial, and bigger grip will add up to useful improvements in ergonomics.

Is it just rampant G.A.S.? Perhaps! :ROFLMAO:
Meh. You've served your time with your current rig, get what you want with no regrets!

Zzzzzz. Sony, stop wasting time on this stuff, APSC is dead.

I think I need a T-shirt with this new camera, something to the effect of "APSC is not dead" :ROFLMAO:

I think I need a T-shirt with this new camera, something to the effect of "APSC is not dead" :ROFLMAO:
If I had a buck for every time someone told me M-4/3 was dead, I could afford one of those newfangled APS-C cameras...

I heard it will also come with a defibrillator to kick-start that frightened little 24mm sensor every time a big bad 35mm is nearby... 😀
I don’t think you need a defibrillator for that - the APS-C sensor is so small, just shuffle your synthetic socks on the carpet and give it a spark…

Man, you guys are brutal!

I'm glad my comment caused some mirth :)

Let me explain why I said that though, and this is entirely my opinion and thought process on it, I don't expect agreement at all.

With the advent of the super high resolution full frame sensors, which are also now being fitted into smaller bodies, and the fact that shooting crop mode is broadly similar to shooting APSC, I don't think there's a need for the ultra compact APSC cameras, which are fiddly to hold for many. When APSC came out it was a damn nuisance to get prints the right size without cropping, and there were a lot of 35mm guys that hated it. Of course we all came around, probably out of necessity, and because tech evolved, but it's kind of stagnated until recently with the higher res APSC that Canon and Fuji have introduced (that have very noticeable noise at fairly low ISO). I just think we have come full circle back to 35mm/full frame as it is, and I really do think Sony would add some lower end cameras in the Full Frame range, instead of assuming we are all miwwionaires Rodders.

This is true, however, there are still plenty of people who enjoy the smaller, more compact lenses that APS-C and M-4/3 use. For travel they're pretty much unbeatable. Crop sensors not only translate to size, but cost. A complete kit with a couple zooms and a prime can be had for a fraction of the same FF setup.

With the emerging trend towards computational photography, one could also argue that full frame sensors will soon be unnecessary as software becomes more capable of dealing with noise. This is very evident in crop sensor cameras like the OM-D 1. While they still have a ways to go, the advancements have been surprising. It's a tradeoff many are willing to make.

I think there's room for everyone in this. And frankly, with the trend moving quickly away from dedicated cameras to smartphones, I'd be disappointed to see any format disappear for lack of customers.

And don't forget, APS (Advanced Photo System) was APS-C sized film that was meant to replace 110, which was M-4/3 sized film!

If Sony made an APS-C version of the A1 I would be all for it. Like a 30mp in the full-frame body style (think the handling for action is much better) that would basically allow me to use the 100-400 all the time would be great.

The OM system has been very attractive lately and depending on what the A1ii is like there could be a change for me.

I look at it like this: for the price of a full frame lens, I can get an APSC camera body, and the APSC lenses are even cheaper. I'm just a hobbyist who occasionally spends a couple hundred $ on my hobby, but not thousands. That's not a knock on those who do, because you all produce some AMAZING photos. I'm just saying APSC, the packaging, performance and price, are good enough for me... for now. If I did this professionally, that would be a different scenario.

I also appreciate Tim's point:
I think there's room for everyone in this. And frankly, with the trend moving quickly away from dedicated cameras to smartphones, I'd be disappointed to see any format disappear for lack of customers

So at least I haven't given up on photography in favor of my cell phone :ROFLMAO:

I look at it like this: for the price of a full frame lens, I can get an APSC camera body, and the APSC lenses are even cheaper. I'm just a hobbyist who occasionally spends a couple hundred $ on my hobby, but not thousands. That's not a knock on those who do, because you all produce some AMAZING photos. I'm just saying APSC, the packaging, performance and price, are good enough for me... for now. If I did this professionally, that would be a different scenario.

I also appreciate Tim's point:

So at least I haven't given up on photography in favor of my cell phone :ROFLMAO:

Unless someone is a professional or is simply just prepared to spend a lot of money on lenses, I'd never steer anyone towards full frame. You can get a high end APSC setup for less than an entry level FF setup, and apart from freezing movement in low light I'd argue that this APSC setup will give as good or better results.

I remember taking photos with my A6400 at sunrise at Cronulla Beach with my Tamron 11-20mm and my Sigma 16mm, then chucking a hissy fit and buying an A7III with Tamron 17-28mm and 28-75mm when the shop opened that morning. In the evening upon photo inspection I was scratching my head wondering what I done that for. An IQ difference was just not there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to pick up on Tims point about cost of APSC vs FF. I think if you stick with Sony, yes, but others (Canon especially) are now offering a full frame kit for the same cost or less.
I agree about M4/3 though, it still has a place, and the OM1D is remarkable (and cheap! - £1400 on Grey Import!) so there is definitely a place. I love the colour rendition on that camera.

Just to pick up on Tims point about cost of APSC vs FF. I think if you stick with Sony, yes, but others (Canon especially) are now offering a full frame kit for the same cost or less.
I agree about M4/3 though, it still has a place, and the OM1D is remarkable (and cheap! - £1400 on Grey Import!) so there is definitely a place. I love the colour rendition on that camera.
The difference in cost these days is primarily in the lenses. Comparing camera bodies only go so far. You can get an A7II with the kit lens for $998 right now, which makes a move to FF look very attractive...until you start looking at lenses. From this standpoint Sony is way ahead of Canon and Nikon due to second party lenses, something Canon has none of, and Nikon only a smattering. The camera itself may be cheaper, but lenses...OY!

The difference in cost these days is primarily in the lenses. Comparing camera bodies only go so far. You can get an A7II with the kit lens for $998 right now, which makes a move to FF look very attractive...until you start looking at lenses. From this standpoint Sony is way ahead of Canon and Nikon due to second party lenses, something Canon has none of, and Nikon only a smattering. The camera itself may be cheaper, but lenses...OY!

True, though the older Canon lenses work well with the adaptor they sell, literally no loss of speed etc from what I've read. That also applies to the OM1 of course. There's a wealth of fantastic lenses out there, and of course the mega money 150 400 (still cheaper than a Sony prime by half). Actually, I really think Olympus missed a trick by not going 500 or at least 450. They already had a 400, albeit not f4.5. I know one person with one of the 150 400's. his shots are fab.

True, though the older Canon lenses work well with the adaptor they sell, literally no loss of speed etc from what I've read. That also applies to the OM1 of course. There's a wealth of fantastic lenses out there, and of course the mega money 150 400 (still cheaper than a Sony prime by half). Actually, I really think Olympus missed a trick by not going 500 or at least 450. They already had a 400, albeit not f4.5. I know one person with one of the 150 400's. his shots are fab.
Yeah, it's funny how Canon and Nikon both enjoy good support for their adapted lenses, while Sony users generally eschew the A-Mounts. There are some amazing lenses out there for the mount, as @spudhead demonstrates repeatedly.

The OM 100-400 and 150-500 were introduced at about the same time. Don't forget too, the 150-400 has a 1.25X built into the lens, which gets you to 500 for an equivalent FL of 1000.

Yeah, it's funny how Canon and Nikon both enjoy good support for their adapted lenses, while Sony users generally eschew the A-Mounts. There are some amazing lenses out there for the mount, as @spudhead demonstrates repeatedly.

The OM 100-400 and 150-500 were introduced at about the same time. Don't forget too, the 150-400 has a 1.25X built into the lens, which gets you to 500 for an equivalent FL of 1000.
Yes the 1.25 built in is interesting and my friend is occasionally using that with a 1.25 secondary for some mad reach. I'm not sure the sensor is good enough for that though, there is a noticeable drop in IQ.
I agree, Gary has definitely shown the merit of using the old glass, the 300 2.8 and Minolta lenses are fab.

Updated rumors:

Sony A6700 has new menu, same touchscreen and AI feature as the new ZV1II. Will it also have A7c style body?​

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Especially if it uses the same Z battery as the A7C.
Heck, if Sony wanted to cut corners and use an A7C body as a common starting point for both the a6700 and A7C-II (think FX-30 vs FX-3), I wouldn't complain.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Especially if it uses the same Z battery as the A7C.
Heck, if Sony wanted to cut corners and use an A7C body as a common starting point for both the a6700 and A7C-II (think FX-30 vs FX-3), I wouldn't complain.
I would. The A7C EVF is in a terrible position, doesn't block enough light from your eye and so forth...
A6600 is much nicer to use...

Given the strong rumours of a A7C II out soon, the rumours might be confused in that the new 6700 might be using the same body as the new A7C II - which I assume will be slightly different from the A7C original in some ways...?

Anyway, I'm very peeved at Sony. Wanted to buy 2 cameras for 6 months, nothing worth investing in given in 8-12 months anything like the A7S III will be worth half of the cost price and how (potentially) nice the AI chip could be for me... flight in 3 weeks, no cameras worth buying in time... ;(

I would. The A7C EVF is in a terrible position, doesn't block enough light from your eye and so forth...
A6600 is much nicer to use...

Given the strong rumours of a A7C II out soon, the rumours might be confused in that the new 6700 might be using the same body as the new A7C II - which I assume will be slightly different from the A7C original in some ways...?

Anyway, I'm very peeved at Sony. Wanted to buy 2 cameras for 6 months, nothing worth investing in given in 8-12 months anything like the A7S III will be worth half of the cost price and how (potentially) nice the AI chip could be for me... flight in 3 weeks, no cameras worth buying in time... ;(
I've never used the A7C, I'm surprised the a6600 EVF is better! Regardless, I expect an improvement over what I have in the a6400 (which admittedly gets the job done).
On that last note, I am sorry your purchase plans don't quite coincide with the model refresh you were hoping for. It sucks that the release schedule isn't consistent across camera bodies, or that the cycle isn't shorter... but then we'd always be grumbling that there's a newer camera body with new features to obtain lol.

Talking about the use of it rather than the quality of the EVF screen itself. That's why this was invented, but takes up the mic shoe that I use...
Kiwi A7C eye cup for EVF

Zzzzzz. Sony, stop wasting time on this stuff, APSC is dead.
What shall we tell Olympus 🤔 with their 4/3s or Fuji n Pentax (if they had only made their monochrome f/f! hehe)

Back