Sony A7R IV Help Please

russellsnr

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Russell Webb (snr)
I have just bought the A7R IV after using the A9, when using the A9 I used electronic shutter with an audible warning that an image had been taken, is this possible in the A7R IV please? Thankyou, Russ.

I have just bought the A7R IV after using the A9, when using the A9 I used electronic shutter with an audible warning that an image had been taken, is this possible in the A7R IV please? Thankyou, Russ.
Nope! I once took 250 shots of my fence when I accidently put it on E Shutter. I hate E Shutter :D

Is there not a 'silent mode' to turn on and off in the menu?
If I'm not mistaken, only the A1 offers an E-Shutter with sound, all others are silent. I used to do a lot of silent shutter with my A7M3, only because I never had one before. I like the reassuring noise, but once and a while I use the E-Shutter on the A7M4.

Thankyou, looks like I will need to go Mechanical shutter unless silent is really required. Thankyou, Russ.

Thankyou, looks like I will need to go Mechanical shutter unless silent is really required. Thankyou, Russ.
It's the only way, and the mechanical is whisper quiet anyway. You avoid any chance of that weird ghosting E Shutters can give too. No gain in using it on the RIV anyway, same frame rate.

The electronic shutter of the a7R IV is also more prone to the rolling shutter effect than the a9, which can create distortion when shooting fast moving subjects. So it’s beat to limit electronic shutter usage to slow moving subjects.

The electronic shutter of the a7R IV is also more prone to the rolling shutter effect than the a9, which can create distortion when shooting fast moving subjects. So it’s beat to limit electronic shutter usage to slow moving subjects.
That's the term I was looking for :)

Much more prone!

The A9 can capture the full sensor in about 1/160s.
The A7RIV takes about 1/10s.

I have some strange photos of a cat walking. Just walking, and its paws look weird - elongated and distorted. I would only use the e-shutter on the A7RIV for still life - mechanical for everything moving.

I am a total fan of the Silent Shutter. I use it all the time. Only when I I am swapping quickly to get birds in flight and not knowing a better was to do it I go to Auto mode or to Scene Mode. And then I get sound.
But being maybe a 99.99% Bird photographer I find this helps me out far more. Oh I have got the Sony A7iii.
And I know I would be lost without it now that I have got a taste of it.

Back