LEAKED: Sony A7rV specs show it has “reinvented” the autofocus system!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Huh? Kudos to Sony for keeping ahead of the pack. This could be a tough one to turn down, unless priced ridiculously (and it will be).

Sony A7rV specs:

• Same 61MP sensor because all the power goes to the new processor.
  • TOTALLY New Autofocus system with AI deep learning
  • 8k 24p (cropped)
  • 4k60p 4k24p (full read out)
  • S cinetone is available
  • 8 stop IBIS (unclear yet if “native” or with “gyro data”)
  • Body looks like a mix between the Sony A7sIII and Sony A7IV.

Interesting wording on the S Cinetone available. Does that mean available in the menu, or available at additional cost? I'm ok with the latter. As someone who doesn't shoot much video I like it when a manufacturer tries to hold the line and offers specialized video features to those who want them.

Of course I'd hate it if they were offering specialized stills features at added cost! :ROFLMAO:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The SAR site is getting worse - a pop up ad covers two thirds of the page! I try not to run blockers because I think sites deserve to get some recompense for their work, but that site is becoming unusable.

I don’t use video features either - I’d almost be willing to pay a small premium for a model with all the video nonsense disabled o_O

Hopefully they have put a little more effort into this "reinvention" than they did with the a9II, as there was very little incentive for existing a9 owners to upgrade.

With prices for this that and everything shooting up right now, I think it will have to offer something very special for many a7R IV shooters to part with their money, unless there's a money tree in your back garden!

I still have my a7R IV but it gets very little use since I picked up the a1. Although that's also getting very little use right now with two kids keeping me busy! 😂

My theory about the A9 II was that it was a rush job for the Tokyo Olympics created when Sony worked out that the A1 wasn't going to be ready in time - they slapped in what improvements they could, but yeah, it wasn't a lot. Of course, the Olympics were then delayed, and the A1 was available...

This does sound like the result of a planned development (if we can believe any of it!) - a new IBIS and a new AF system (what was that about "one big development"?). There is certainly scope for an improve IBIS system - we've heard criticism about it for quite a while. And everyone seems to have been working on their AF systems, so updates there are expected. Moving to a new processor - that is no surprise at all.

Not sure if it amounts to enough to entice me to get one - like yours, Tim, my A7RIV has been suffering neglect since I got an A1....

I saw the 8-stops of IBIS on SAR facebook page today and I was genuinely intrigued. It will be interesting to see that in use, and not just theoretical.

I saw the 8-stops of IBIS on SAR facebook page today and I was genuinely intrigued. It will be interesting to see that in use, and not just theoretical.
8-stops is an awful lot for a FF camera. M-4/3 and APS-C can get away with it more easily due to the smaller sensor: Less to move over a shorter distance and less space needed in the body. Good for them if they can achieve it, top-drawer IBIS was one of the biggest drawbacks to leaving M-43.

If they can sell this for a couple $k less than the A1 it'll be a good option, but it's really more MP than I want to deal with. Still hoping for a 40-45MP camera with the speed and focusing of the A1...:whistle:

Really an A1 would be my perfect choice, but not going to pay that much for one. Will wait and hope an A1M2 will drive the price down or an A9M3 fills the bill.

Ibis stated and real world are different things ,canon also claims such results but reality is different ,be nice if it can match the canon ff though ,sony has lagged a little in this regard ,i like the idea of screen that i can fold away ,i very rarely use the rear screen so folding away will help save battery i guess and protect .I still wanted a 80-100mp upgrade if i am honest, totally achievable now we m43 at 25mp and aps-c at 40mp ,i do not see many a7r4 users upgrading for improved af and better ibis though ,this is a inbetween upgrade ,which is sonys way ,A totally new sensor generally appears every other iteration but it will keep ahead of the field and draw photographers in to sony system .

I'm kind of hoping (although I recognize the fact that it's likely futile) that Sony may see fit to add some of the AI focus learning to the A7-IV via firmware. I know it's an extremely long shot, but if they give this new feature to any existing camera that seems the most likely since we kind of expect a new 9 and a new 1 at some point. I would think the A7M5 is at least several years down the road, and with the A7M4 still a #1 seller at B&H, it would make the camera even more attractive at that price point. Even if they were to add the new recognition features it'd be a nice addition.

I'm kind of hoping (although I recognize the fact that it's likely futile) that Sony may see fit to add some of the AI focus learning to the A7-IV via firmware...
It is probably futile, as you guess. If it is a major selling point of the new markV, I cannot see them adding it to the existing markIVa, which would take away sales of the new markV.

It is probably futile, as you guess. If it is a major selling point of the new markV, I cannot see them adding it to the existing markIVa, which would take away sales of the new markV.
I don't think so, they're two entirely different price points and markets. The M4 is $2500, the RM4 is still $3500. I'm guessing the RMV will be over $4k. Given that, they're going after two different target buyers.

Also, if memory serves, when the M4 came out there was a firmware update to add its new focus programming to one of the other cameras, maybe the R4 or 9II? The only difference would be they updated a more expensive camera, while this time they'd be updating a less expensive body. Still, it would keep the M4 extremely viable against similar bodies from Canon and Nikon.

I still believe I'm hoping against hope...but it could be something they implement further down the line as M4 sales cool a bit. I seriously doubt they'd do it while it's still a #1 seller.

I don't think so, they're two entirely different price points and markets. The M4 is $2500, the RM4 is still $3500. I'm guessing the RMV will be over $4k. Given that, they're going after two different target buyers.
Will there be that much of a price jump between A7R IVa and A7r V? I hope not, but maybe. I see the A7R III is still available for much less than A7R IVa, but was there that big of a difference at launch? I am new to Sony, so unfamiliar with their price increases from model to model.

If, as you suggest, it is over $4k, isn't that moving it from A7R series pricing to A9 series pricing? Does anyone think they will do that? (I guess we will know in one week).

Will there be that much of a price jump between A7R IVa and A7r V? I hope not, but maybe. I see the A7R III is still available for much less than A7R IVa, but was there that big of a difference at launch? I am new to Sony, so unfamiliar with their price increases from model to model.

If, as you suggest, it is over $4k, isn't that moving it from A7R series pricing to A9 series pricing? Does anyone think they will do that? (I guess we will know in one week).
You may be right. Between supply chains, pandemics, wars, and inflation, who knows? I don't think Sony is too worried about crossing prices amongst models since each new successor will have a higher price. And in the case of the A9M2, it's a 2-year old body without the new super-duper focusing features.

Back