Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
I have a week old ILCE-7M3 (a7 III) Firmware is 3.1. When I press the shutter, there is a delay before it fires. Also, while programming menus, when I make a change and leave the menu, the camera fires without touching the shutter release button. Anyone?

Does it take a picture when it fires? The reason I ask is that I thought I’d had the very same thing but no picture taken. I thought I’d been imagining it until you mentioned it :D:D

Yes, it does, and by the time it does it, I am moving the camera.

Sorry Jeff I meant the issue with respect to the menu firing not the shutter delay. I don’t have the delay, well not that I’ve noticed.

Did you accidentally change the drive mode to self-timer? This will cause a shutter delay. If you have the sound on then it will normally beep as well as it counts down.

Hi Jeff.
I have the same body and firmware but have not had this issue. Mine will sometimes fire without taking a picture when I turn it off but this apparently is just the camera ‘resetting’ itself. (Google searched it)
Did the problem arise after a firmware update?

Hi Jeff.
I have the same body and firmware but have not had this issue. Mine will sometimes fire without taking a picture when I turn it off but this apparently is just the camera ‘resetting’ itself. (Google searched it)
Did the problem arise after a firmware update?
Ah maybe that's my "issue" too....

Did you accidentally change the drive mode to self-timer? This will cause a shutter delay. If you have the sound on then it will normally beep as well as it counts down.
The Drive Mode was incorrectly. But I still have remaining problems. Here is how it stands now. I aim, focus then press the shutter. As soon as I press and release the shutter my viewfinder goes black, then 3 seconds later it fires. I'm sure I screwed some setting up but I don't know what it is. The blanking of the EV is absolutely unacceptable.

The Drive Mode was incorrectly. But I still have remaining problems. Here is how it stands now. I aim, focus then press the shutter. As soon as I press and release the shutter my viewfinder goes black, then 3 seconds later it fires. I'm sure I screwed some setting up but I don't know what it is. The blanking of the EV is absolutely unacceptable.
Have you possibly changed the shutter speed to a really slow setting like 3.2"? This would cause the blank screen then you'd hear the shutter close after 3 seconds. The shot taken would probably be very blurry or overexposed as well.

If that's not it then you can always reset the camera settings to default. Menu > Setup7 (toolbox) > Setting Reset > Camera Settings Reset.

Ah maybe that's my "issue" too....
Maybe. I understand the shutter firing when the camera is switched off is a normal thing and classed as just a random self check, or ‘house keeping’.
I Googled it and found lots of users mentioning it. Don’t think the manual mentions it anywhere.

Maybe. I understand the shutter firing when the camera is switched off is a normal thing and classed as just a random self check, or ‘house keeping’.
I Googled it and found lots of users mentioning it. Don’t think the manual mentions it anywhere.
I must admit I half thought I was imagining it until I read it here but have looked no further. Thanks.

Have you possibly changed the shutter speed to a really slow setting like 3.2"? This would cause the blank screen then you'd hear the shutter close after 3 seconds. The shot taken would probably be very blurry or overexposed as well.

If that's not it then you can always reset the camera settings to default. Menu > Setup7 (toolbox) > Setting Reset > Camera Settings Reset.
I am embarrassed to admit it but Timothy, you were correct regarding shutter speed. I had not set it incorrectly but I was in Aperture Priority mode which in turn set the shutter very slow. Keep in mind, I was not out taking pictures but just reading all kinds of advice on how to setup the A73, I was doing a lot of shooting sitting in my office, not recording any images to keep. Thanks again for your assistaance. The thought of needing possible Warranty work was not a pleasant one. Mostly what I need is to get out and shoot some images.

Thanks all for the attention. I actually got out to shoot today. No problems except I need to start a GoFundMe account to buy some bigger glass!

Back