Followers
Following
Name
Dave Le
Country
United States
City/State
Minneapolis
Something is wrong with my sensor, I swapped lenses, I took off the lens hood, etc. The only way to get rid of it is to turn on Silent Shooting. I am so frustrated. This white band is in like every photo.

_A732749.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 640

Solution
If it isn't an issue with the electronic shutter, it's not the sensor. Probably a shutter issue like others have said.

Set the camera to fire without a lens, remove the lens, set the shutter to as slow as you can or bulb if it has it, or any method to try and get a good look at the shutter. See if there's any damage.

Is e-front curtain shutter turned on? Try it on and off. Any difference?

Last resort, try a factory reset. You will lose all your settings. I don't know if you can save settings to an SD card with that camera. If not, write down what you're currently using as best you can.
I wonder if that’s caused by cleaning fluid? No way I’d try and “repair” that myself whatever the problem is.

Edit:
I note you said it resolves if you use silent. It can’t be a sensor problem in that instance, surely?

if i was to make a guess i'd say there is a vertical crack on the front curtain mechanical shutter. i am not even sure if this even makes sense.
Your problem is rare and unique.

If it isn't an issue with the electronic shutter, it's not the sensor. Probably a shutter issue like others have said.

Set the camera to fire without a lens, remove the lens, set the shutter to as slow as you can or bulb if it has it, or any method to try and get a good look at the shutter. See if there's any damage.

Is e-front curtain shutter turned on? Try it on and off. Any difference?

Last resort, try a factory reset. You will lose all your settings. I don't know if you can save settings to an SD card with that camera. If not, write down what you're currently using as best you can.

Solution
Someone owes me a solution vote!

You must've had it set on "keep the center of the frame lighter'.

I'm going to have to try and find that in my camera...

Last edited:
Someone owes me a solution vote!

You must've had it set on "keep the center of the frame lighter'.

I'm going to have to try and find that in my camera...
Thank you so much! I felt like the world was coming down and was so hopeless.

Thank you so much! I felt like the world was coming down and was so hopeless.
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised it worked. Sometimes a shot in the dark is all it takes, glad I could help!

I hope I never find that setting!

Back