Sony A7R III Battery Grip issue

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Chris

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
So this is a funny one that caught me out when I first got the battery grip for my A7 - I suspect this might be for other cameras as wel including the A9. I thought that the auto focus was stuffed with the grip connected. Was convinced there was a bad connection on the grip meaning no power, couldn't drive the motor in the lenses etc....

It took me a long time to realise that when I hold the camera normally, IE in landscape mode my hand curls far enough round the grip to depress the grips shutter release button. I'd basically pick the camera up and as I did the first stage focus would come in as I hit the first part of the grip shutter release - and that I would be continually holding it down with the edge of my hand.

Camera to eye - finger in shutter release to start the auto focus - and nothing. Because it's already focused.....

There is a lock ring on the grip shutter release to lock it out so this doesn't happen. But it was annoying as anything until I figured out what was happening...

I normally forget to flip the lock switch and end up shooting either the floor or the sky, especially annoying when shooting continuous! It's worst with the a9 when you can fire off 20 shots of nothing before you realise what's going on!

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back