Iconic thread if it is iconic in yours eyes post the shot and a few words please

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I will try again we will call this the Iconic thread, if it is Iconic to you that is all that matters, it can be a view, building, car, place what ever , this should be easy for all to take part in please post shots and a few words, members can as usual comment on submissions but not tell poster it not Iconic because it is the posters choice.

first post from me Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence one of my go to views when ever I visit
florence 2023 1.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z)
  • 51.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 160

This photo of the B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B was taken at the Old Buckenham Airshow at Old Buckenham Airfield, Norfolk, England, on July 29, 2023. I know...Memphis Belle is on the visible right side, but Sally B is on the left.
B-17 Sally B-1.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 481.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 640

Last edited:
This photo of the B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B was taken at the Old Buckenham Airshow at Old Buckenham Airfield, Norfolk, England, on July 29, 2023. I know...Memphis Belle is on the visible right side, but Sally B is on the left.
You need to insert the full size image when posting :)

The most iconic view in Greenville, SC is the view of the bridge and falls downtown. This was one of the first shots I took when I switched to Sony gear back in February. Any time I get a new lens one of my first visits is to this spot.

JRV00996.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary 021
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

A black and white image of a dirt covered Jeep on the 4x4 trail past the "Eye of the Needle" in Echo Canyon with a snow capped Telescope Peak rising over 11,000 feet in the background, Death Valley, Ca
DV 5 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 48.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 400

A black and white image of a dirt covered Jeep on the 4x4 trail past the "Eye of the Needle" in Echo Canyon with a snow capped Telescope Peak rising over 11,000 feet in the background, Death Valley, Ca
View attachment 46015
never visited death valley yet, may get there at some point (y)

One more. An empty road through the rolling hills of a springtime super bloom in the Carrizo Plains of the central coast of California
Carrizo pl 3 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 89.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

never visited death valley yet, may get there at some point (y)
When you do, make sure it is in the winter, when I was young and foolish, a long time ago for the young but maybe not so for the foolish, went there with a couple of friends in a van at the beginning of summer(around 122ºF/50ºC). My Nikon film camera's back got so hot that I had about ten frames that had what almost looked like waves of light flares except they were in the middle of the frames and not the edges. Amazing place, did not go there for some 30 years and now try to go once a year. Depending on the light and ones mood it feels like the beginning or the end.

Not too many things more iconic than an RNLI Lifeboat in motion.... taken on my local beach.
DSC07324 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 379.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 640

Wild looking life boat
They are truly amazing craft. This is one of the bigger class boats, a 14mtr long Trent Class. They are all weather, self righting rescue boats.

I've probably posted this before, but these colorful buildings are iconic when I think of Portree, the largest town on the Isle of Skye.
DSC00156_SQ_SM+Vgn.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 200

Even crappy weather can't detract from this quaint location.

One more. An empty road through the rolling hills of a springtime super bloom in the Carrizo Plains of the central coast of California
View attachment 46016
I lived in California for 5 yrs, it would almost be more iconic if it were the summertime brown grass that is present the majority of the year 😅
But that's a nice capture.

I've probably posted this before, but these colorful buildings are iconic when I think of Portree, the largest town on the Isle of Skye.
View attachment 46022
Even crappy weather can't detract from this quaint location.
Nice job Chris glad to see you post mate (y)

I lived in California for 5 yrs, it would almost be more iconic if it were the summertime brown grass that is present the majority of the year 😅
But that's a nice capture.
I have been here since I was 1 year old, all depends on which part of the state and what time of year.

The great torii of Miyajima in Japan.

A7C09940.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 28-60mm F4-5.6
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice shot (y) Alex this thread is right up your street mate

Thanks Gary. Let's see what other members have in store... I will think about more iconic stuff but that's the first that came to mind. ⛩

Thanks Gary. Let's see what other members have in store... I will think about more iconic stuff but that's the first that came to mind. ⛩
The idea is if its iconic to you that what matters, a place, an event with family or friends, what ever, a car

Iconic moment for me in Kefalonia last year while on a boat a loggerhead turtle popped up at the side of the boat, I never expected to see one in the wild awesome
kefalonia 2022.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 800

Back