Iconic thread if it is iconic in yours eyes post the shot and a few words please

Lol I don't think I'm short of any of those! 😄
Nice images, love Australia (other than my Nikons being stolen) but these remind me that so much of my travels were shot with a lot of different cameras that were not Sonys, like all my trips to Australia.

Last edited:
I've probably posted this before, but these colorful buildings are iconic when I think of Portree, the largest town on the Isle of Skye.
View attachment 46022
Even crappy weather can't detract from this quaint location.
Chris, we visited Portree in July. I saw these houses but was not in a position where I could take a picture. Nice photo! Clide

When you do, make sure it is in the winter, when I was young and foolish, a long time ago for the young but maybe not so for the foolish, went there with a couple of friends in a van at the beginning of summer(around 122ºF/50ºC). My Nikon film camera's back got so hot that I had about ten frames that had what almost looked like waves of light flares except they were in the middle of the frames and not the edges. Amazing place, did not go there for some 30 years and now try to go once a year. Depending on the light and ones mood it feels like the beginning or the end.
Death Valley is a place I need to return to if only to get a better image of the actual valley
Dantes View - Death Valley - 10202019 - 01s small.jpg

I did not have enough practice it seems at getting my stitches and ended up cutting Bad Water in this.

This one even less practice. This is Cape Town from Table Mount
Table Mount top 11.jpg
  • SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.7

Death Valley is a place I need to return to if only to get a better image of the actual valley
View attachment 46050

I did not have enough practice it seems at getting my stitches and ended up cutting Bad Water in this.

View attachment 46051
Unless one hangs out over the edge at Dante's View I do not know if you can really get overhead of Badwater, this one from a few years ago has some of it in frame. Also more time than not after driving the climb up there, wind and debris in the air makes it a hit or miss attempt.
Sadly I never got up on Table Mtn when I was there. Cool view
Death 57b .jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM (SEL2470GM)
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 125

Thanks for this idea, i promise to wait before posting more. I have been looking at some old Sony images I have not seen in awhile. Also I just remember that besides some early Nikon digital p&s and before I shot much with my phone I used to carry one of two different Sony pocket point and shoots. The super tiny 5mp DSC-T1 and the even slimmer 5mp T7, with memory sticks. When I look back they were fun cameras to play with and as long as you chose wisely those 5mp were not that bad.
so here is one shot with the T1 of the fairly iconic Empire State Building, side note since I shot a lot of sqaure format back then I got into tilting my horizons a bit.from 2004
Empire State.jpg
  • DSC-T1
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 10/2500 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice!
View attachment 46050

View attachment 46051

I hiked up that from CT like 25 yrs back now. Man I wish I had all the photos from that trip, but nope, nothing, nada, zilch --- but so cool up there. We even walked up the one to the left there (can't remember what it's called without looking it up). And down at the pier there in Victoria something-or-other, the sea lions popped up on the jetty for another cool moment lost in time on a film somewhere...

Thanks for this idea, i promise to wait before posting more. I have been looking at some old Sony images I have not seen in awhile. Also I just remember that besides some early Nikon digital p&s and before I shot much with my phone I used to carry one of two different Sony pocket point and shoots. The super tiny 5mp DSC-T1 and the even slimmer 5mp T7, with memory sticks. When I look back they were fun cameras to play with and as long as you chose wisely those 5mp were not that bad.
so here is one shot with the T1 of the fairly iconic Empire State Building, side note since I shot a lot of sqaure format back then I got into tilting my horizons a bit.from 2004
View attachment 46060
I like the tilt!

_A740955.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 85mm F1.8 (SEL85F18)
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

From the left:

The oldest post-box in Taiwan – the post-box outside the post office in Pingxi

Built in the 16th year of the Showa era (1941)

Sort of like the red ones o/seas, but green.

It needs no introduction, even if you know nothing about the subject, you will recognise it.

View attachment 46072
I guess if you are lucky enough to have the rest of the car then it is easy to realise why it is so iconic, but yes the badge says exactly what the brand and legacy is all about

There aren't many more iconic UK birds than the nations favourite The Robin.
DSC08224 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 250

Nice.

The 3 Sisters are tricky, so you done good.

Weirdly nuff, years ago, I used to sell oil paintings of all these places down outside the OH --- man the wind could blow there in the cooler months! Anyhoo, good job!

The Three Sisters relies heavily upon what is happening in the sky. I got lucky with that one, it was around 1pm as well! The weather was weird that day, I remember at 10am when we got to Wentworth Falls there was so much mist in the valleys in the mountains that it looked like a white sea...

Trunk Bay, St John's, USVI
This beach usually finds its way onto best beaches lists. Think when I go back in Dec I'll be taking my camera to the beach at least for some shots.
Trunk Bay - St John - 12152021 - 01.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G)
  • 31.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

@alexpler your shot of Miyajima reminded me that my trip to that part of Japan also included an iconic location: Hiroshima.
I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't recognize this ruin from the atomic blast...
DSC01045.jpg
  • Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

What is interesting is the blending of the "old" and the "new" in this city where just about everything was rebuilt.

I tried, however, to get an angle that would isolate the dome and not include new construction. Might not be the best composition, but I took this as a newbie in 2019.
DSC01026.jpg
  • Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 125

It is an icon of a more somber sort, but no less iconic.

@alexpler your shot of Miyajima reminded me that my trip to that part of Japan also included an iconic location: Hiroshima.
I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't recognize this ruin from the atomic blast...
View attachment 46096
What is interesting is the blending of the "old" and the "new" in this city where just about everything was rebuilt.

I tried, however, to get an angle that would isolate the dome and not include new construction. Might not be the best composition, but I took this as a newbie in 2019.
View attachment 46095

It is an icon of a more somber sort, but no less iconic.

Sadly iconic... 2nd shot is great and somber, fitting for the subject.

Did you know there were ruins of many other buildings? But when the government demolished them, the citizens of Hiroshima demanded that at least one was left standing as a remainder of the atomic bombing...

Sadly iconic... 2nd shot is great and somber, fitting for the subject.

Did you know there were ruins of many other buildings? But when the government demolished them, the citizens of Hiroshima demanded that at least one was left standing as a remainder of the atomic bombing...
I remember some of that from my local guide. I actually have more pictures of the immediate surroundings, perhaps I will edit them and create a separate thread.

Back