Followers
Following
Name
thomas l gannon
Country
United States
City/State
Atwater,
I watch Craiuglist , marketplace , and Ebay - for lens buys, etc. There are lots for Cannon , Nikon, etc. No so many for Sony. We must be a select few.

The Minolta legacy notwithstanding, Sony's roots aren't as deep. Sony bought Minolta in 2006, which isn't so many years ago and decades after Canon introduced their first AF system. Until recently, Sony was nowhere near as popular. It wasn't until Sony introduced the FF Mirrorless that they really gained steam. Canon is still the number one for professionals and number one in overall sales, thanks in part to their P-n-S sales, but Sony now resides in second place overall and ranks number one in mirrorless sales. This has left Nikon behind, and while the Z9 made an impressive bid it wasn't enough to vault them over Sony.

One of the reasons for Sony's success is their lenient stance on third party glass, which gives us a tremendous number of E-Mount lenses to draw from. Canon has for the most part eschewed licensing other manufacturers, relying instead on the large amount of legacy glass in their system to coax existing customers to their new offerings. Nikon has only recently started to include aftermarket Z-Mount lenses in addition to their legacy glass. In fact, when I decided to go FF I checked out Panasonic, Nikon, and Sony. At the time I don't think Nikon even had a 200mm FF lens for mirrorless, or maybe that was the longest lens in the system, can't recall exactly but I do remember leaving Nikon alone for the lack of long glass. Of course, Sony has the same advantage of excellent legacy A-Mount glass to call on. I wouldn't be surprised to find that all told, E-Mount Sony + third party + A-Mount gives Sony users more lens choices than any other system, with the possible exception of M-4/3.

I'm enjoying a few AF Minoltas with the ea4 adapter, plus fine Pentax primes that need no electronics to work.

Shaded corners and occasional colour fringing wide open: images the way Nature intended! :LOL:

Shaded corners and occasional colour fringing wide open: images the way Nature intended! :LOL:
Yeah, if I have one complaint about the old lenses it's fringing. The coatings just weren't as advanced. Although, I am still surprised by the amount of CA I see on newer lenses, including some posted in this forum. Not sure if people can't see it or don't care. Depending on what I'm shooting I can go either way. I once shot a squirrel against a bright sky and the CA was so bad his entire tail was purple! Totally unsalvageable as a decent photo, but I kept it anyway in case I ever need a Goth squirrel!

Yes, CA is what is finally forcing me to upgrade most of my really old Minolta and Sony lenses.

Back