Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Last edited:
I'll be happy for y'all who have been waiting on the A9III.
As for the second camera? A7SIV would be my bet. Sony has been giving better features to their vlogging cameras over the A7SIII, and that rubbed a few owners the wrong way. Time for Sony to address that.

Plus I think the RX1R lineup is dead. Sorry Landshark!

Some commenters at the rumor site are predicting an A7 IVA, with the updated screen and AI AF of the RV. I doubt that, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'm still not sold on the S series ever returning. Low-light performance has improved so much it almost negates the need for a 12MP sensor. Of course I've been wrong before, just thinking out loud.

Me too, but I'm really interested to see how they keep it and the A1 separate from one another.

Ooh yeah! Good luck with that..! I reckon the difference will end up being a few megapixels and the video capabilities.

How far away do you guys think we are from seeing a stacked sensor on a mid level camera?

I'll be happy for y'all who have been waiting on the A9III.
As for the second camera? A7SIV would be my bet. Sony has been giving better features to their vlogging cameras over the A7SIII, and that rubbed a few owners the wrong way. Time for Sony to address that.

Plus I think the RX1R lineup is dead. Sorry Landshark!
My hope is based on how well the Q3 is doing, although i know it is a long shot. My best guess is it will be and update to the A7IV because the A7CII has more features for less money

How far away do you guys think we are from seeing a stacked sensor on a mid level camera?

If it's supposed to be "something big", maybe Sony is going to announce yet another new camera line. After all, they only have the A7, A7R, A7S, A7C, A7CR, A9, A1, and the APS-C line - there's room for more!

An A2 stacked camera that was "below" the A1 in some ways, like maybe it is only 40Mp and can only do 15 frames / second, but can be used as an entirely electronic shutter camera (including flash)?

Or an A0 stacked camera that was a 96Mp A1? Hmm, what's the price?

An A8 using a true global shutter sensor at 24Mp but 50 frames / second of lossless compressed RAW at full resolution with full AF per shot?

Now I'm starting to look forward to this announcement...

If it's supposed to be "something big", maybe Sony is going to announce yet another new camera line. After all, they only have the A7, A7R, A7S, A7C, A7CR, A9, A1, and the APS-C line - there's room for more!

An A2 stacked camera that was "below" the A1 in some ways, like maybe it is only 40Mp and can only do 15 frames / second, but can be used as an entirely electronic shutter camera (including flash)?

Or an A0 stacked camera that was a 96Mp A1? Hmm, what's the price?

An A8 using a true global shutter sensor at 24Mp but 50 frames / second of lossless compressed RAW at full resolution with full AF per shot?

Now I'm starting to look forward to this announcement...

The fun never ends..! 🫣

The fun never ends..! 🫣

Do you want it to?

There is a way to stop worrying about the endless cycle. You could follow the path a friend of mine took - he abandoned the news sites, and especially the rumour sites, and swore he'd buy a new camera when his current one broke. It's a Nikon D7200, I think. Got it new in 2015, Still working, and he's still using it. Getting good images too.

And he's having fun with it. I think he may have replaced the neck strap and the memory card :) Pretty sure he's still using the lens he bought with it.

Do you want it to?

There is a way to stop worrying about the endless cycle. You could follow the path a friend of mine took - he abandoned the news sites, and especially the rumour sites, and swore he'd buy a new camera when his current one broke. It's a Nikon D7200, I think. Got it new in 2015, Still working, and he's still using it. Getting good images too.

And he's having fun with it. I think he may have replaced the neck strap and the memory card :) Pretty sure he's still using the lens he bought with it.

Lol of course not! I don't have a missus who needs me to justify any money I want to spend. I'm always free to buy whatever I want. ✅

It's amusing to be completely satisfied with my whole kit yet still hang on the edge of my seat for every new release that is coming. Some cool psychology there..! 😄

Lol of course not! I don't have a missus who needs me to justify any money I want to spend. I'm always free to buy whatever I want. ✅

It's amusing to be completely satisfied with my whole kit yet still hang on the edge of my seat for every new release that is coming. Some cool psychology there..! 😄
I can relate - I'm happy with the A1 and A7RV, but I want to see the A9 III and the A1 II.

That's the way I feel as well. I just interested to see what the A9iii is like.

Do you want it to?

I do this because I enjoy the anticipation whether I'm looking for a camera or not. It's a rumor thread, if you're concerned about being sensible there are plenty of other opportunities.

Well... As I'm probably getting an A1 now I'm not excited really. I don't see the A9 III offering anything the A1 doesn't have, and the software update will address any niggling things and probably add some new stuff, making it as valid a choice as it's ever been. Given that the AF and tracking on the A1 are pretty much perfect in tests, it's not really possible to improve on, and the whole global shutter things has no interest for me, as I generally hate E Shutters, I need feedback, so I want sound :) I don't think they will put that on the A9 anyway, A1 II will be first if at all. Time will tell, but in general.... Meh :D

Well... As I'm probably getting an A1 now I'm not excited really. I don't see the A9 III offering anything the A1 doesn't have, and the software update will address any niggling things and probably add some new stuff, making it as valid a choice as it's ever been. Given that the AF and tracking on the A1 are pretty much perfect in tests, it's not really possible to improve on, and the whole global shutter things has no interest for me, as I generally hate E Shutters, I need feedback, so I want sound :) I don't think they will put that on the A9 anyway, A1 II will be first if at all. Time will tell, but in general.... Meh :D
YOU'RE FIRED!

I do this because I enjoy the anticipation whether I'm looking for a camera or not. It's a rumor thread, if you're concerned about being sensible there are plenty of other opportunities.

Oh, come on now! When was I ever sensible?

I was pointing out that there are people in this world who don't care about new cameras. I was moaning about the wait for support of my new camera (I don't remember if it was the A1 or the A7RV) and he looked at me blankly - he doesn't have those issues.

Oh, come on now! When was I ever sensible?

I was pointing out that there are people in this world who don't care about new cameras. I was moaning about the wait for support of my new camera (I don't remember if it was the A1 or the A7RV) and he looked at me blankly - he doesn't have those issues.
Right, but this thread is more about looking at the Christmas toy catalog and wishing!

I don't understand. Getting an A1 and using the mechanical shutter is like purchasing bubble gum but just swallowing it instead of chewing it. All the cameras have a sound option for using electronic shutter but unless you are using the sound to annoy others or handing it over to first time users so they understand they are taking photos it just isn't needed.
It is so annoying to be out with others and hearing shutter sounds. So unnecessary.

I don't understand. Getting an A1 and using the mechanical shutter is like purchasing bubble gum but just swallowing it instead of chewing it. All the cameras have a sound option for using electronic shutter but unless you are using the sound to annoy others or handing it over to first time users so they understand they are taking photos it just isn't needed.
It is so annoying to be out with others and hearing shutter sounds. So unnecessary.
No it's not. Right, not all cameras have a sound option, the A7RIV doesn't, but the rolling shutter would prevent my using it anyway.
Using mechanical is fine, I don't need 30fps or 30, 10 is sufficient. The advantage over my current camera is the faster AF and better tracking, and the mechanical shutter does not affect that.
Saying hearing shutters is annoying is a bit daft, it wasn't long ago that you had no choice, and most are quiet enough these days to be barely heard. My wife can't hear mine. If it's an older cam, like the old 7D Canon, then yes. Either way it makes no difference to the wildlife, they are far more disturbed by movement. E Shutter with no sound is utterly infuriating to me, you literally have no feedback when you shoot.

Saying hearing shutters is annoying is a bit daft, it wasn't long ago that you had no choice, and most are quiet enough these days to be barely heard. My wife can't hear mine. If it's an older cam, like the old 7D Canon, then yes. Either way it makes no difference to the wildlife, they are far more disturbed by movement. E Shutter with no sound is utterly infuriating to me, you literally have no feedback when you shoot.
And today you do have the choice and yes the wildlife does notice it. I am out often enough with photographers that still have DSLRs or mirrorless that you should be using shutters with and you can see that the animals do notice the shutters. You also have multiple options for visual display of when you are shooting.

Never, in 40 years of shooting, have I ever seen any wildlife spooked by a shutter going off. Noisy people in hides, yes, and kids for sure, but not shutters. If it were the case no one would have gotten shots of wildlife in the history of time 😁

Getting an A1 and using the mechanical shutter is like purchasing bubble gum but just swallowing it instead of chewing it.
Nah, it's more like purchasing bubble gum and not blowing bubbles... :p

Now, if we were talking regular gum, ok...maybe. But bubble gum? Nah.

@Kevriano The A1 will change your perspective on e-shutters forever. It is glorious. :)
So good that I don't see myself buying a non-stacked sensor ILC ever again.

The A1 is so good that I might even wait until the first global shutter / organic sensor camera comes out.

I had it in my mind that the A1 II would be an immediate pre-order for me but even after nearly 3 years the A1 is just an amazing device for making photos.

Even better - developments in software like Topaz for noise removal work so well that I don't even care if I have to run the ISO way up to get the proper shutter speed.

Back