Sony A9III Release NOT Nov 8?

There's no right or wrong.

On post:
  • "I get it right in-camera"
  • I process every one of my photos"
Both can turn out excellent results, it's up to the photographer.

On birds and wildlife:

• "I study the subject, plan a silent approach, move slowly in a wide berth, become part of the environment, don't make eye contact, never chase and am very patient. I get very close."
  • "I use a 50MP camera, a 600mm lens, and crop the hell out of my photos."

On AF:

• "I never use AF, I use DOF and the skills I've developed over years of practice."
  • "I use AF, my camera's AF is top notch, it rarely fails."

On Tracking:

• "I don't use it, I just follow the subject myself."
  • "I use it all the time, it's great how the camera can track the subject even when I'm off a bit."

On Subject Recognition:

"I don't need it, I can recognize the subject on my own."
"I love it, it helps when my subject is partially obscured."

I could go on and on. Video, built-in light meters, battery grips, etc. etc. ad-nauseum.

Here's a question: How many people here use every feature in their camera? I would be willing to bet there isn't a single person on the planet who does, not even Mark Galer! :ROFLMAO: So, if there are features you aren't using, does that make you a neanderthal? More experienced than the guy who uses that feature you eschew?

Everyone should shoot in a manner in which they're comfortable.
What response do you expect to the voice of reason Tim? I am still trying to work out how to warm soup in a microwave apparently😆

What response do you expect to the voice of reason Tim? I am still trying to work out how to warm soup in a microwave apparently😆
Start by taking it out of the can... :D

There's no right or wrong.

On post:
  • "I get it right in-camera"
  • I process every one of my photos"

On birds and wildlife:

• "I study the subject, plan a silent approach, move slowly in a wide berth, become part of the environment, don't make eye contact, never chase and am very patient. I get very close."
  • "I use a 50MP camera, a 600mm lens, and crop the hell out of my photos."

On AF:

• "I never use AF, I use DOF and the skills I've developed over years of practice."
  • "I use AF, my camera's AF is top notch, it rarely fails."

On Tracking:

• "I don't use it, I just follow the subject myself."
  • "I use it all the time, it's great how the camera can track the subject even when I'm off a bit."

On Subject Recognition:

"I don't need it, I can recognize the subject on my own."
"I love it, it helps when my subject is partially obscured."

I could go on and on. Video, built-in light meters, battery grips, etc. etc. ad-nauseum.

Here's a question: How many people here use every feature in their camera? I would be willing to bet there isn't a single person on the planet who does, not even Mark Galer! :ROFLMAO: So, if there are features you aren't using, does that make you a neanderthal? More experienced than the guy who uses that feature you eschew?

Everyone should shoot in a manner in which they're comfortable.

There's only one WRONG answer, and that's when someone insists that their way is the only right way.

You are right. Well, except maybe about Mark Galer. Nah, you are right about that, too.

interesting you did not include the full response I posted originally
Maybe younger people who were not around during the early days of the internet and communicating on sites such as Usenet (predecessor to today's web-based forums) aren't aware that in fact, it was strongly encouraged NOT to quote someone else's post in its entirety if one were only planning to comment on one particular aspect. The process was to simply quote only the sentence or paragraph expressing thoughts and comments upon which the person making a response would add his or her thoughts which were specifically relevant to what had been said by the earlier poster.

We had other rules of "Netiquette" back then, too, but alas, a lot of them seem to have fallen by the wayside..... Some are no longer necessary, so good riddance, but others? Actually, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to see some of them still in use.

As for the topic at hand, since my eyes aren't that great any more, with cataracts developing, I definitely depend a lot on quick autofocus and subject/eye-recognition, etc. When I'm doing macro, Focus Peaking is a real blessing when I need to use manual focus. That said, I still do take care to compose my shots thoughtfully, look at the scene before pressing the shutter release, and when possible, approach the subject from different perspectives and angles. Sometimes when shooting wildlife there isn't a lot of time and one doesn't have that luxury of careful consideration of a composition. I still find it somewhat miraculous and downright wonderful when I can at least can quickly, spontaneously nail the shot of the bird taking flight or that squirrel leaping towards the camera......

Some years ago I did very little with editing. Just the basics and that was it, and I felt that this was enough, which usually it was. In more recent years, though, I have become more interested in exploring possibilities and seeing what happens when I do "x" or "z" or drastically crop an image because I suddenly notice interesting possibilities for a stronger image within the one I had actually composed and shot. This works out well some of the time and a lot of the time it doesn't, and that's fine with me.

It's more about how I have been learning to enjoy the process of further creatively investigating my images and seeing if I can produce really intriguing results. No need to do that on most of my shots but every now and then one just cries out to be more deeply explored and edited than it started out being. Usually these are macro or closeup shots, but occasionally I drastically crop an image shot in nature to display something more interesting than what I'd originally seen and photographed.

And, yes, along the way camera technology as well as image editing software has changed in significant ways which makes it easier for even those of us who are not innately artistic to use it and get decent results and also to be tempted to explore our options beyond the basics....

No, but I did once put an old one in the garden with a tin can in it and watched what happened

Do tell - did it just spark and have lightning bolts inside? Or did it trash the magnetron in the oven? I really don't know what it would do.

Do tell - did it just spark and have lightning bolts inside? Or did it trash the magnetron in the oven? I really don't know what it would do.
No a lot. It just gets very hot! Tin foil will arc out and catch fire though.

No a lot. It just gets very hot! Tin foil will arc out and catch fire though.

If it was a cartoon, it would probably explode.

if it was Mythbusters, they would probably load it with C4 and detonate it after the first test was boring. Remember their episode testing the dynamite in the concrete mixer truck?

Interesting update. It has to be coming Nov 8th or so, the rumors are getting pretty specific.

On November 8 Sony will have a major event. Very likely we are getting a new 30mm GM lens. But there is also a fair chance they might announce the A9III. from my trusted sources I know this camera was scheduled to be launched in the November 2023-January 2024 timeframe. One of my sources already saw the camera and told me it’s super fast. He also said that when he asked about the pricing Sony said that it will be priced in the mid $4,000.

The source didn’t want to share the specs yet as he is one of the few knowing them. So I am waiting til more people gets some A9III info before to post the final specs. To recap:

• 300mm f/2.8 GM will be announced on November 8
  • Fair chance the A9III might be announced too (Specs: New stacked sensor with increased resolution, fastest AF and fastest FPS on any FF camera to date)
  • Maybe new A1 firmware update coming too

Not surprised at the price, that converts to $4775 US and falls within Sony's new version pricing history of $200-300 above the previous one.

So as usual that makes it in pounds £4,800 which is what Sony do, so we will pay the most again I guess
Do they price them higher for you guys?

They usually just do the dollars in pounds ie $ 4475 dollars would be £ 4775.00
I did a comparison of Euros to GBP and it came out to just over 3900.

I did a comparison of Euros to GBP and it came out to just over 3900.
yes I understand but Sony have a track record of doing Dollars 4775 and do the same in pounds £4775, it will be really nice if they do the £ 3900 we will see

Do they price them higher for you guys?
We get taxed an awful lot, hence why I wait for imports to be available. VAT alone is 20% here.

It will be 4500+ and I can get an A1 for that.

We get taxed an awful lot, hence why I wait for imports to be available. VAT alone is 20% here.

It will be 4500+ and I can get an A1 for that.
a1 import Panamoz was £4230.00 yesterday kev

a1 import Panamoz was £4230.00 yesterday kev
Exactly!! As the markets fluctuate so do the prices. I will guess the A9III will be 3.5k on import but we will have to wait 4 months for them to appear.
A1 is £4020 on E- Infinity

So as usual that makes it in pounds £4,800 which is what Sony do, so we will pay the most again I guess

Bear in mind that the UK price includes 20% VAT, while the US price excludes tax, which varies by state - some states have higher tax rate than others. I don't think any of them get to 20%, though.

If Sony set the UK price to an exact conversion of the US price, you'd be getting a 20% discount on the US price (and yes, I'm sure you deserve it...).

For a fairer comparison, take off the VAT before comparing prices...

Exactly!! As the markets fluctuate so do the prices. I will guess the A9III will be 3.5k on import but we will have to wait 4 months for them to appear
Its all irrelevant, depends on spec and if its another half effort by Sony

Bear in mind that the UK price includes 20% VAT, while the US price excludes tax, which varies by state - some states have higher tax rate than others. I don't think any of them get to 20%, though.

If Sony set the UK price to an exact conversion of the US price, you'd be getting a 20% discount on the US price (and yes, I'm sure you deserve it...).

Just look at our import prices, way cheaper. Full UK retail on the A1 is £5879!!!!

Fact is they have just done as stated Tony dollars no conversion they just make it pounds so $4775 will be at least £4775

Back