Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A9III Release NOT Nov 8?

Only if it makes a noise...

Mine does. :)

I don't really care for the sound of a mechanical shutter except for two: The Q2 and the X-Pro2
I'll take the Sony e-shutter any day over anything else period. On my first digital MF camera, the GFX50R the mechanical shutter literally could cause issues with shutter shock.

Hated that. I'm off to dust my Sony now. Just came back from visiting some vinyards in Napa. Super dusty.

tempImageKn8FuZ.jpg
  • iPhone 15 Pro
  • iPhone 15 Pro back triple camera 2.22mm f/2.2
  • 2.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 1250

Never, in 40 years of shooting, have I ever seen any wildlife spooked by a shutter going off. Noisy people in hides, yes, and kids for sure, but not shutters. If it were the case no one would have gotten shots of wildlife in the history of time 😁
They notice the shutters, not all get spooked but they do notice. I have had numerous cases in which a couple people are shooting silent then someone in a D850 or 1DX finally lines up the shot, clack clack, and off goes the subject.

This youngster was eating dinner for like 15 mins before another photographer showed up. It had no issues with us walking around or talking but as soon as that D850 started clacking off it went. This was taken in the center of a city.
Peregrine Falcon - Wilmington - 06192021 - 27 - DN.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 400

I use mechanical shutter on the A7RV, and it's fairly discreet. I remember the Canon 1D mark IV as having a very loud shutter - put me off using the camera in some situations. Even with the loudest shutter you can get one wildlife shot (the first one!). I even recall someone touting the advantage of a loud shutter - claimed it "persuaded the birds to take flight". I didn't like that idea.

I shoot e-shutter on the A1, and I have turned on the fake shutter noise just once, because the person I was photographing hated not knowing when I took a shot.

I was in a hide, blind for those of you over the pond, and a roe deer came out of the trees in front of the hide. I took about 6 or so shots on the A1 it never mover just kept on eating then the two friends that were with me with DSLRs started shooting. On the first click the deer looked at the hide then trotted off back into the trees.
Not the first time I have seen this happen.

Some commenters at the rumor site are predicting an A7 IVA, with the updated screen and AI AF of the RV. I doubt that, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'm still not sold on the S series ever returning. Low-light performance has improved so much it almost negates the need for a 12MP sensor. Of course I've been wrong before, just thinking out loud.
Hmm, I'm kinda interested in that! Would be a nice upgrade to the A7IV

Evidently the A9II was introduced at the exact same event, four years ago. Thinking now that we'll see the A9III on November 8th for sure.

And from the comment section:
I met a sports photographer who got to test the a9iii. 2 things he shared with me was 1 low light was amazing on the camera the second was that the camera was able to shoot close to a 120 fps. My guess is Sony is copying the z9 with that kind of burst shutter but I don't know. He didn't know how many megapixels it was and also said it didn't have the screen of the RV but also said it was a prototype he was testing and told things could change.

Depending on the A9iii compared to the A1, I might replace the A1 because

replacement insurance will go down. 🤪

Depending on the A9iii compared to the A1, I might replace the A1 because

replacement insurance will go down. 🤪
I actually hope that's the case. If Sony follows suit this camera won't be that much less than an A1, which means that the new A1 will be more yet.

If Sony decides to be SMART rather than follow suit, they will price it to compete with the Z8, which puts it under $4k.

Of course they won't. Don't be silly...

Mine does. :)

I don't really care for the sound of a mechanical shutter except for two: The Q2 and the X-Pro2
I'll take the Sony e-shutter any day over anything else period. On my first digital MF camera, the GFX50R the mechanical shutter literally could cause issues with shutter shock.

Hated that. I'm off to dust my Sony now. Just came back from visiting some vinyards in Napa. Super dusty.

View attachment 48191
How were the Fall colors in Napa. I'm going there next week. Until 6 years ago, I lived there.

How were the Fall colors in Napa. I'm going there next week. Until 6 years ago, I lived there.
hehe... we were pretty well fixated on green and purple being honest. :D

Still felt like summer. Over 90* from Friday through Sunday.

Beautiful spot to visit. I could definitely see the appeal of living there.

Just a few quickies - these are either 2mb jpegs via Imaging Edge transfer or iPhone pics. The 15 Pro for casual use is pretty impressive. It seems fashionable in some other camera fanboy camps to rag on Sony's IBIS but personally I think it's pretty good.

54D5DEFC-419C-4F0B-B99A-CB3098D24596_1_201_atopaz.jpeg
  • iPhone 15 Pro
  • iPhone 15 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/756 sec
  • ISO 80
175BCF7D-3666-423F-9F51-09304B03F320_1_201_atopaz.jpeg
  • iPhone 15 Pro
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/186 sec
  • ISO 80
267A6A62-979E-49FD-9689-3DB4EB504930_1_201_atopaz.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 500
128904BF-3F6A-46BB-895E-0D3F6CC5D39E_1_201_atopaz.jpeg
  • iPhone 15 Pro
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 125
D2E48428-474B-48F8-B84F-F2BEB1B6A79E_1_201_atopaz.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 12800

So you think Sony will probably open up Christmas pre-orders then @Brownie ?

So you think Sony will probably open up Christmas pre-orders then @Brownie ?
🤷‍♂️

If memory serves, they announced the A7 IV near the end of October, pre-orders were opened just shortly after, and the first cameras (to the US) were available on December 24. Europe had them sooner.

Inviting Canon and Nikon users is to allow the competition a direct comparison. Given that, they must be pretty darned sure about this thing or they risk a lot of public ridicule.

🤷‍♂️

If memory serves, they announced the A7 IV near the end of October, pre-orders were opened just shortly after, and the first cameras (to the US) were available on December 24. Europe had them sooner.

Inviting Canon and Nikon users is to allow the competition a direct comparison. Given that, they must be pretty darned about this thing or they risk a lot of public ridicule.
It might not happen in Turkey given what is happening right now

So is my passing it is a case of which comes first Jesus this is painful years of this crap now
Seems like it, but it's only been 3-1/2 years since the A9II. That's about the same time frame as their other releases.

Seems like it, but it's only been 3-1/2 years since the A9II. That's about the same time frame as their other releases.
problem is the a99ii was a none event, hence I still have the a9i so it has been a long wait for some

Does anyone over there know of a sporting event coming up in Istanbul around early to mid-November, suitable for this type of unveiling/demonstration?

The camera will have to have some magic in it somewhere to impress us sports togs and too drag Nikon/Canon users away from there current make. I would guess that they have invited the buyers for the big agency like Getty and press association as well.

Does anyone over there know of a sporting event coming up in Istanbul around early to mid-November, suitable for this type of unveiling/demonstration?
The international Conference on Sports Management and Competitions is on there on the 8th and 9th

I just informed my wife that if the A9III is what I want in a camera, I'll be purchasing one. I did it while we were talking about winterizing the camper (caravan) that she wanted me to buy. That, my friends, is a measured tactical advance...

I just informed my wife that if the A9III is what I want in a camera, I'll be purchasing one. I did it while we were talking about winterizing the camper (caravan) that she wanted me to buy. That, my friends, is a measured tactical advance...
hang on, I'm taking notes!

I was under the impression that you did not want a a9iii or need one Tim? anyway do both and you finally get a stacked sensor and take shots from the camper everyone is happy, because life is short, and best do it because becoming too old and missing the camera shutter click :)

I was under the impression that you did not want a a9iii or need one Tim? anyway do both and you finally get a stacked sensor and take shots from the camper everyone is happy, because life is short, and best do it because becoming too old and missing the camera shutter click :)
Hence the comment:

if the A9III is what I want in a camera

I don't know that it will or won't fill the bill. If it doesn't then it may be an A1. I've decided that since my season is over, there's no need to rush. See how the A9III looks, read some real world (not influencer) reviews, etc. It's very unlikely I'd pre order. Some dealer killers could be: 24MP, it will shoot too fast with no option to slow it down, a built-in battery grip.

I now have MANY sources confirming Sony will have a product announcement event around November 7/8. One of my trusted sources said there is very likely going to be the final 300mm f/2.8 GM announcement. I still don’t have a confirmation for the A9III announcement but at this point I think it’s highly likely we will get the A9III too. This is rumored to become the world’s fastest Full Frame camera. Hope to get some A9III specs soon!

Nice, but way beyond my price range no doubt

New in Marketplace

Back