Sony has today released firmware version 2.00 for the a9 (download). One of the main enhancements introduced with this version appears to be enhanced performance of continuous auto focus on moving subjects, and also enhanced stability of the AF-C when zooming.
So exactly how “enhanced” are the AF improvements? Well I’ve just taken delivery of a great open-box deal on the a9 myself, so will be sure to have a good play before updating the firmware to see if these enhancements are noticeable or not.
Here are the full details of firmware version 2.00:
Continuous AF Enhancements:
- Enhanced performance of continuous auto focus on moving subjects
- Enhanced stability of the AF-C when zooming
- Adds the function to assign Protecting images to custom Key
- Adds the function to transfer (FTP) protected files at once
- Note: Only for images protected using version 2.00 or higher.
- Displays wired LAN MAC address
- Inputs IPTC metadata to files
- Note: IPTC information must be created beforehand using the IPTC Metadata Preset software.
- Inputs camera serial number to metadata
- Improves operational stability
- Improves accuracy of the overheating warning function